Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:13 AM

240 posts, read 344,099 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will graduate from a midwest University this Dec. After that, I will leave this town seeking for a financial services/banking job. There is a major corporation locate in my this college town, however, I cannot get in at all.

According to my knowledge, Florida has more diverse and vibrant financial sector than my school state. Eg, Jacksonville have Deutsche Bank, Citi have office in Tampa. BNY Mellon have office in Lake Mary.

If I relocate to Florida, I believe that I can have a better chance to get a job in financial service sector. However, my question is: I am on a very limited budget and I have no prior experience in banking (I was in real estate sector). I want to take a chance to switch to banking (especially in commercial banking or real estate lending), but still OK for corporate finance. I do not have too much saving right now since my graduate tuition has eaten the most.

From your perspective, compare Tampa and Jacksonville, which one may help me better shoot a banking/financial services jobs? Which bank you believe have a better chance to get in? (I do not consider Miami because most banks there require fluent Spanish). I know Deutsche Bank in Jacksonville attract me the most, but I have never hear anything after I applied several jobs a few years ago.

Thank you,

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 AM

67 posts, read 107,974 times
If I were you I would apply to jobs in both cities until you land the one that meets your needs. I would strongly urge you not to relocate until you have a job locked down.

I relocated from Tampa to Jacksonville as I got a better job that I couldn't seem to get in Tampa. I made sure I had the job before I moved here. At the time I preferred to live in Tampa but came to Jacksonville for a better job and I'm glad I did.

Some of the top financial institutions here in Jacksonville include Everbank, Black Knight, Deutsche, Fidelity and Citi also has an office here. These companies have web sites with entry level job listings you could apply for.

Tampa also has some excellent financial institutions i.e.; Raymond James, Mellon etc..
Also if you're not limited to Florida you might consider jobs in Charlotte, NC. which is one of the largest Financial Centers in the country.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:00 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
The answer is simple, choose whichever city you get the job first and don't move until you've accepted the position. If you know someone locally, use their address on your resume. Seems as though hiring managers/HR look more favorably on local candidates vs. someone 1,000 miles away who would have to fly in and relocate.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Maybe Raymond James Financial in St. Petersburg might be another option for you.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:30 AM

593 posts, read 667,338 times
I work in finance in Jacksonville and i can say there are a lot of jobs here. Everbank, Merrill Lynch, deutsche bank, and Fidelity have a big presence and there are countless others with mid size operations here. With that said, DO NOT move here until you have a job. The hiring process can take a long time (assuming you even get interviews and pass) and with no income this can be a disaster fast. Getting a finance job entails a lot of background checking and stuff. For me it was a 2-3 month process from the time i applied till the time i signed the offer letter. Moving here with no job is setting yourself up to fail, there is no other way to say it. I was hired while still living in NY so don't think you cannot be hired before moving (this was for entry level straight out of college much like yourself).

Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times
Are you sure you want to work in banking? To be a commercial lender you have to have experience and banks will want you to have a portfolio of potential clients to bring. Your best bet is to become a credit analyst to start. Mortgage lenders will need to go out & network with real estate co.s etc. Do you realize how many mortgage lenders there are out there?

My issue with the banking jobs you are looking at I question how long they will be available as technology improvements are made- do you really need as many "warm bodies" to apply for loans etc.?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:50 AM

240 posts, read 344,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Are you sure you want to work in banking? To be a commercial lender you have to have experience and banks will want you to have a portfolio of potential clients to bring. Your best bet is to become a credit analyst to start. Mortgage lenders will need to go out & network with real estate co.s etc. Do you realize how many mortgage lenders there are out there?

My issue with the banking jobs you are looking at I question how long they will be available as technology improvements are made- do you really need as many "warm bodies" to apply for loans etc.?
I have some knowledge programming, so I may try programming work as well..However, I do not want to be a programmer..

Old 08-27-2015, 05:30 AM

19 posts, read 40,659 times
I've worked in the Financial services industry for over 25 years. 20 on Wall Street and 5 down here in Tampa.

What is your major and what will be your area of concentration when you graduate?

To Quote: "I have some knowledge programming, so I may try programming work as well..However, I do not want to be a programmer.. "

Saying you "may try programming" is like saying you may also dabble in brain surgery. You need proven skills to offer a potential employer. You need a short term and long term career plan and more importantly; Career FOCUS! Where to work is probably the least of your priorities.

One more thing; the competition down here for Good Paying Financial Services jobs is very fierce. There may be jobs, but they are applied to by 20-50 applicants who are hungry and highly qualified. You are going to have to really stand out if you plan on competing on this playing field.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:46 PM

290 posts, read 339,251 times
NYC is second to none for finance, I'd suggest going there instead of Tampa.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:55 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
I have some knowledge programming, so I may try programming work as well..However, I do not want to be a programmer..
My sister in law is a programmer in Jacksonville-Merrill Lynch-although I think they got bought out by B of A. She has been there many years-it was a scary time for her during the recession-but things are good now and she feels secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay