Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 AM

17 posts, read 24,838 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Raleigh, NC, but my husband and I will be moving soon for financial reasons. He has two job offers, one in Pasco CO, FL & one in the Midwest. Does anyone here live in Pasco, or know the area well-enough to give me some pros/cons?
Our housing budget would be $220k-$290k, the job is located in New Port Richey, and we have 2 kids (under 6.) A big priority for me when buying a house is that it either maintain its value or increase in value, so any information on the housing market in the area would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
There are lots of new to be built homes available sooner than later as Trinity which is adjacent to New Port Richey is developing a lot of land and many builders are building over there.

A new Mall and theater is planned as well.

Due to the new building going on some other homes may be a good or even better deal as existing homes often have upgrades for which builders charge a lot or you can buy cheaper and remodel in phases to get it to fit your own taste which Home Depot and Lowes seem to benefit from as they are always very busy and their number show that many home buyers are making improvements.

If you can look through some items that are not your taste and willing to do it either yourself or hire a contractor than you may find a better home that way.

Pasco County has lower property taxes and most newer communities have reclaimed water which lowers your monthly water bill which is something to consider as well.

Land O"Lakes and Lutz are just a few miles away and so is Odessa in case you don't like the community living but often the prices will be higher.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TolkienObrian View Post
Hi everyone,

I currently live in Raleigh, NC, but my husband and I will be moving soon for financial reasons. He has two job offers, one in Pasco CO, FL & one in the Midwest. Does anyone here live in Pasco, or know the area well-enough to give me some pros/cons?
Our housing budget would be $220k-$290k, the job is located in New Port Richey, and we have 2 kids (under 6.) A big priority for me when buying a house is that it either maintain its value or increase in value, so any information on the housing market in the area would be great.

Thanks!
The 54 corridor will likely maintain it's value as it is really big, and very popular. North on 41, not so sure.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:31 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
There are lots of new to be built homes available sooner than later as Trinity which is adjacent to New Port Richey is developing a lot of land and many builders are building over there.

A new Mall and theater is planned as well.

Due to the new building going on some other homes may be a good or even better deal as existing homes often have upgrades for which builders charge a lot or you can buy cheaper and remodel in phases to get it to fit your own taste which Home Depot and Lowes seem to benefit from as they are always very busy and their number show that many home buyers are making improvements.

If you can look through some items that are not your taste and willing to do it either yourself or hire a contractor than you may find a better home that way.

Pasco County has lower property taxes and most newer communities have reclaimed water which lowers your monthly water bill which is something to consider as well.

Land O"Lakes and Lutz are just a few miles away and so is Odessa in case you don't like the community living but often the prices will be higher.
As a result, the OP and others should consider flooding issues which are popping up in new or expanded areas. We just eliminated that area in the search for my parents new home, because of just that.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 PM

17 posts, read 24,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
As a result, the OP and others should consider flooding issues which are popping up in new or expanded areas. We just eliminated that area in the search for my parents new home, because of just that.
Which areas have flooding issues? Just Trinity or all of Pasco?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:04 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times
I have lived in Pasco for 22 years, and here is my input:
Avoid Pasco from west of Little Rd. and north of Ridge Rd. The area is congested, severely overcrowded, and the element starts to change outside of those geographical boundaries.
The Trinity area is probably one of the best areas and is up-and-coming, clean, and still relatively affordable with all the new construction. Schools are good. If you continue to head east and hit Land O Lakes, it is still pretty decent, but once you get to Wesley Chapel, it becomes even more crowded.
The problem with Pasco is this: it offers NO jobs. So everyone in Pasco commutes to Tampa or other regions, so the morning exodus on 54 to the Suncoast and 75 South is GRIDLOCK. If your husband is going to be IN Pasco working, that's a big plus.
As for flooding issues, Trinity (Thousand Oaks subdivision) floods regularly. Other neighborhoods fair better, but it's Central Florida...if it rains hard enough long enough, it will flood no matter where you live.
The market is on an upswing, so the values are definitely increasing, but don't expect housing to explode like it did back in the early 2000's- those days are done. At least we have no state income tax here!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:31 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
I agree with rich67 with your husbands job in NPR...Trinity and Land-o-lakes would be your best options...with Land-o-lakes being the more affordable of the two...

Old 08-28-2015, 04:17 AM

146 posts, read 184,965 times
If you want a waterfront community there is gulf harbors/ gulf landings area and oyster bayou in west pasco. Lots of families here as well as retired folks. Schools I have been told are so so but some have been saying they are ok with the schools. I had new Ponds form in my yard during the recent deluge that are now gone but roads were clear and passable. Be aware of the CDD issue in Trinity. For families in Trinity I like Long leaf. Don't forget to look there. There are some new builds going up in the area as well. It is an up and coming area but don't exclude other areas. Crescent forest and river ridge are also nice areas.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:21 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb18 View Post
If you want a waterfront community there is gulf harbors/ gulf landings area and oyster bayou in west pasco. Lots of families here as well as retired folks. Schools ice been told are so so but some have been saying they are ok with the schools.
But who wants to pay $12k or more a year for flood Ins? Best to stay 10 miles or more east of US19. West pasco is just bad and the cost to insure west of US 19 is insane.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:47 PM

146 posts, read 184,965 times
I am paying 1900 for 250000 for lloyds flood insurance. I was NOT grandfathered in when the Brite Waters Act took effect and no I am not living in a trailer nor am I in a under 1600 sq foot house nor am Iliving in an elevated house. Everything is in one level almost even with the street. I live in a high flood zone. FEMA wanted more than Lloyds. There are options out there but u have to do your homework. I am across from canals leading to the gulf. A friend bought an elevated home across from the gulf and FEMA wanted 40,000 a year so be careful. West pasco has good and bad areas. Sorry your experience has been awful. Mine has been fantastic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay