Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:46 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times

Advertisements

When we moved here a few years ago one of the first things that struck is was the poorly planned roads and freeways. Tampa has just not grown intelligently at all and the freeways are years behind the growth with the slowest road construction I have ever seen ANYWHERE. I even find the way parking lots are designed here make it difficult to get around.
The traffic in this Wesley Chapel area will likely get even worse however I am still glad we live here, it is still my favorite part of greater Tampa. I work in the Brandon area and have ZERO desire to live there. Most of Tampa is completely undesirable to me.
If it gets to horrible here in a few years we will hopefully be back out west in the city with the grid road system where it is SO much easier to get around.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:15 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
When we moved here a few years ago one of the first things that struck is was the poorly planned roads and freeways. Tampa has just not grown intelligently at all and the freeways are years behind the growth with the slowest road construction I have ever seen ANYWHERE. I even find the way parking lots are designed here make it difficult to get around.
The traffic in this Wesley Chapel area will likely get even worse however I am still glad we live here, it is still my favorite part of greater Tampa. I work in the Brandon area and have ZERO desire to live there. Most of Tampa is completely undesirable to me.
If it gets to horrible here in a few years we will hopefully be back out west in the city with the grid road system where it is SO much easier to get around.
Which Brandon has yet, Wesley Chapel doesn't. Just had some friends visit from north Georgia last week. They were amazed what all we can get to in 15 minutes or less. Wife was from Riverview 5 yrs back. She didn't enjoy the traffic getting around. I told them when you actuality live where most are going to or through life is not living in the car. I will do 10 minutes drives in my car or bike all day long. He told me when he needs to go to the market its over 20 minutes away and he only has 1 option. I have 8 grocery stores within 10 minutes.

Last edited by mrviking; 09-12-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Seriously, just one event showed how horrible traffic could get pretty fast. Imagine all communities being built out and mall being open... Forget about SR 56... It will take Meadow Pointe residents half an hour to get to I-75. If could make more sense to build a house off SR 52 exit and take I-75 to Tampa time wise. Soon to be commute from some of Wesley Chapel planned communities to the interstate will be equal to travel time from SR 52 exit.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Seriously, just one event showed how horrible traffic could get pretty fast. Imagine all communities being built out and mall being open... Forget about SR 56... It will take Meadow Pointe residents half an hour to get to I-75. If could make more sense to build a house off SR 52 exit and take I-75 to Tampa time wise. Soon to be commute from some of Wesley Chapel planned communities to the interstate will be equal to travel time from SR 52 exit.
Exactly as you stated this was an event! 54,000 people traveled at the same time period within hours to attend.

As we all understand the roads need to be changed a.s.a.p. to handle the increase in traffic but you can't compare 54,000 within a 3 hour time frame to shippers going to a mall and having from 10- 9 or longer 7 days a week to shop.

We attended a space shuttle taking off at Cape Canaveral once and it took us hours to get out of there as every one tried to leave around the same time.

Maybe Lutz/Land O'Lakes is not capable of having a flight show held for such an amount of people or didn't expect the turn out they got, otherwise they may have handled it differently.

Over the last 2 years we saw a shift on Black Friday as many retailers opened their doors on Thursday and many offer the same online or specials for their best customers, earlier than Black Friday to make it is also better to deal with sales than on one day and sell even more.

IMO the extended Black Friday sales (prior and after) will only increase and maybe in a few years Black Friday as we knew it will no longer exist other than in name.

We already noticed the better sales prior to Black Friday so not worth to go out at night.... but of course you will have the people who like it so much and will camp out 2 weeks prior as they probably get a government check or are retired as working people can't and I don't believe any working person will take 2 weeks off to sit, sleep, etc. in front of a store. JMO.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Same here heading back to a city with a great mass transit system and construction workers who know how to get things done in a reasonable time frame unlike here.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:14 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Exactly as you stated this was an event! 54,000 people traveled at the same time period within hours to attend.

As we all understand the roads need to be changed a.s.a.p. to handle the increase in traffic but you can't compare 54,000 within a 3 hour time frame to shippers going to a mall and having from 10- 9 or longer 7 days a week to shop.

Maybe Lutz/Land O'Lakes is not capable of having a flight show held for such an amount of people or didn't expect the turn out they got, otherwise they may have handled it differently.
They did a horrible job by NOT organizing anything and not coordinating this even with Pasco county enforcement.
They new very well how many people planned to attend - their facebook page was counting rsvp's, so no surprises here.

That little airport CANNOT accommodate even 1/5 of reserved crowd. The organizers obviously didn't put too much thought about locals who will be coming back from home (using already crowded roads... I know people who do not commute give no c*** about it, but based on traffic volumes many are commuting).

Mall will create traffic. Mainly on SR 56 west of I-75. Just looking at the lengths between signals I can tell it will be horrible. Much worse than in Brandon...

Old 09-14-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
They did a horrible job by NOT organizing anything and not coordinating this even with Pasco county enforcement.
They new very well how many people planned to attend - their facebook page was counting rsvp's, so no surprises here.
Exactly so it was caused by lack of communication and lack of organizing skills!

It could have happened any where if the skills to organize are not there.

I don't think the cops are watching every Facebook page of an event. Next year the cops will probably on top of this as it sounds also as a serious problem in case of a fire or other tragedy as emergency vehicles probably couldn't have reach the place easily.

The mall will of course increase traffic and issues and the plans seemed to be in place to start fixing what should have done prior to building the mall but that is another lack of organizing skills from the government.

However I don't see 54,000 people going to the mall on the same day.

Wiregrass mall never caused the issues as in Brandon and neither did the Grove but of course now adding another mall with 800 employees will add lots of traffic.

Aside from Black Friday I don't see the same happening as on the day of the Flight show and it created a buzz for the flight show which may help them to get a better location next year.

Brandon always had an issue and still has an issue for entering and leaving the mall over there as it seems like a bottle neck issue coming from one lane into 3 lanes and the other way around and when you have drivers at the front line of a traffic light not paying attention to the light turning green and waiting seconds to start driving and than having an issue to push the gas pedal to drive with a decent speed often causes 3-4 cars to go through and with the red camera control in place people even stop earlier to avoid a ticket and causing traffic to back up even further.

At any traffic light it amazes me how slow people take off when it turns green causing it to be a huge annoying issue for many drivers trying to get in front of these cars before they hit the next traffic light and having to deal with the same thing all over again. Usually it inexperienced drivers or phone issues.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Exactly so it was caused by lack of communication and lack of organizing skills!

It could have happened any where if the skills to organize are not there.

I don't think the cops are watching every Facebook page of an event. Next year the cops will probably on top of this as it sounds also as a serious problem in case of a fire or other tragedy as emergency vehicles probably couldn't have reach the place easily.

The mall will of course increase traffic and issues and the plans seemed to be in place to start fixing what should have done prior to building the mall but that is another lack of organizing skills from the government.

However I don't see 54,000 people going to the mall on the same day.

Wiregrass mall never caused the issues as in Brandon and neither did the Grove but of course now adding another mall with 800 employees will add lots of traffic.

Aside from Black Friday I don't see the same happening as on the day of the Flight show and it created a buzz for the flight show which may help them to get a better location next year.

Brandon always had an issue and still has an issue for entering and leaving the mall over there as it seems like a bottle neck issue coming from one lane into 3 lanes and the other way around and when you have drivers at the front line of a traffic light not paying attention to the light turning green and waiting seconds to start driving and than having an issue to push the gas pedal to drive with a decent speed often causes 3-4 cars to go through and with the red camera control in place people even stop earlier to avoid a ticket and causing traffic to back up even further.

At any traffic light it amazes me how slow people take off when it turns green causing it to be a huge annoying issue for many drivers trying to get in front of these cars before they hit the next traffic light and having to deal with the same thing all over again. Usually it inexperienced drivers or phone issues.
You know there are 4 other entrances to the Brandon mall other than SR60. I never have a problem navigating that area not even in rush hour, there are 5 streets that go west to east, pick one.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You know there are 4 other entrances to the Brandon mall other than SR60. I never have a problem navigating that area not even in rush hour, there are 5 streets that go west to east, pick one.
I know but at certain hours it is a huge mess over there due to the traffic lights. Maybe it got better on the exit/entrance coming from the Walmart as that was closed for some time frame.

We usually went either early or later in the day when many were leaving or just go to International which we like the best.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Do you think these northerners give damn about infrastructure? The [mostly] northern developers want to get in and get out as fast as they can and develop the most cookie cutter places and take the money and run.

The northern transplants just want "their piece" and since they are running away from taxes heaven forbid you actually plan some good solid infrastructure and make them pay impact fees, they want their little house and dont care about much else in terms of smart growth.
Yeah bash people from the north. Like somehow you have a right to anything. Last time I looked we live in the USA!!! Lets charge you an impact fee!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay