Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 PM

335 posts, read 406,757 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Please give us advice for those of us new to this area. How scary is this, and what precaution must we take? Is this going to be a big hurricane and how are all of you feeling about it? The weather forecast looks like thunderstorm in days ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 03:33 PM

335 posts, read 406,757 times
ps should we stock up on food before the weekend? Thanks for your feedback about this

Old 08-28-2015, 03:43 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I'm on my way back to my home in Florida right now. I have been up in Mass for 6 weeks. The weather is so bad in So Georgia where I'm at right now, I had to get off the road and get a motel. I couldn't drive any longer, in the heavy rain due to the thunderstorms. These storms have been with me most of the day.

I have a mobile home in Lakeland. I wonder should I continue with the drive tomorrow? Or should I wait until the storm passes, before driving down. I sure don't want to be in a mobile home during such a storm. The insurance company has already sent me an email, with a number to call should I have damage. Thanks

Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm on my way back to my home in Florida right now. I have been up in Mass for 6 weeks. The weather is so bad in So Georgia where I'm at right now, I had to get off the road and get a motel. I couldn't drive any longer, in the heavy rain due to the thunderstorms. These storms have been with me most of the day.

I have a mobile home in Lakeland. I wonder should I continue with the drive tomorrow? Or should I wait until the storm passes, before driving down. I sure don't want to be in a mobile home during such a storm. The insurance company has already sent me an email, with a number to call should I have damage. Thanks
Do you have Tower Hill Insurance? We just got the same email from them, which I thought was nice.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

You don't want to be anywhere near a mobile home if it becomes a hurricane! Better to stay away until danger is past.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Do you have Tower Hill Insurance? We just got the same email from them, which I thought was nice.

Yes I have Tower Hill Insurance. Yes I agree. I thought it was very professional of them.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
You don't want to be anywhere near a mobile home if it becomes a hurricane! Better to stay away until danger is past.
I agree. No where near a mobile home. I will keep the weather channel on, and see what they say for tomorrow before I decide what to do. I guess the storm is suppose to hit Florida Sunday night into Monday. Go right thru the state. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:24 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
easy to do - they know your zip code - most insurance companies do it, mine did at least....the real question will be if they're as congenial when it comes time to take care of customers and pay them for their damage.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Hi,

Please give us advice for those of us new to this area. How scary is this, and what precaution must we take? Is this going to be a big hurricane and how are all of you feeling about it? The weather forecast looks like thunderstorm in days ahead.

It can be scary when the lights go out and the wind is howling. It only lasts a few hours. Basically, follow the reccomendations in the hurricane booklets put out byn the local media.

Everybody should have a "hurricane kit" with the LED lanterns, flashlights, batteries, tarps, rope, etc.

Food stuffs like canned goods, ramen and other non perishable foods should be in your
pantry for the entire hurricane season. After the season is over use up those items and restock
in June. Powdered milk is good to have.

Window protection is really important. A broken window those howling winds to
be in your house. The wind can lift the roof off a house. In found the best protection to be
corrugated steel panels. The are light enough to handle and install. The thing is you really need
pre drilled holes with lead anchor sleeves to bolt the panels onto the house. Using bolts that you
can turn with a rachet wrench make the panel work much easier. Home Depot carries the panels.
If your garage door is not hurricane rated get the metal post that bolts to the floor and to the wall
over the door. U bolts hold the door to the post reducing the chance of the garage door blowing
in which is another avenue for the wind to lift off the roof.

There are many other tips like having a generator and empty gas cans. When a hurricane is close fill the
gas cans to fuel the generator. Forget buying a generator just after a storm.

Again, get the hurricane guides and follow the time proven advice.

Being prepared ia the key.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Just be prepared. Flashlights, batteries, canned food, bottled water, etc. You should be fine. Tampa being on the other side of the state and all. The biggest problems with hurricanes in Tampa is mostly power outages. Expect a lot of rain and wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay