U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,610,463 times

Advertisements

Stats show Ybor City crime has been on decline for years | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

I know, there are actual numbers backing this up, and that's a bad thing, but here it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 11:58 AM

422 posts, read 374,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Stats show Ybor City crime has been on decline for years | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

I know, there are actual numbers backing this up, and that's a bad thing, but here it is.
Will a channelside revitalization help ybor? The thing about ybor is the numbers can be great but just one stabbing a year can ruin the place.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,146,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Will a channelside revitalization help ybor? The thing about ybor is the numbers can be great but just one stabbing a year can ruin the place.
A random someone can get randomly killed by a random someone randomly anywhere, even in random Westchase from where random posters variously don random screen names. None of that mean a thing. To properly judge--replacing bigotry and prejudices with a reasonable measure of objectivity--we look at overall stats.

So this is good news and reflects well on the general Tampa Bay area. Congrats to Ybor.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 09-10-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
A random someone can get randomly killed by a random someone randomly anywhere, even in random Westchase from where random posters variously don random screen names. None of that mean a thing. To properly judge--replacing bigotry and prejudices with a reasonable measure of objectivity--we look at overall stats.

So this is good news and reflects well on the general Tampa Bay area. Congrats to Ybor.
What are you rambling about?

I dont think you understand the psychology behind "public opinion".

Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 PM

6,265 posts, read 4,509,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
What are you rambling about?

I dont think you understand the psychology behind "public opinion".
I don't agree the kind of people who would cross out a whole area because of 1 stabbing a year are not going to move or go to Ybor anyway so its a moot point.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 30,353,775 times
Ybor had a long history of shootings and stabbings over the years - I still wouldn't hang out there to this day and even during the day, if I'm alone there, I'd watch my back if I'm there (rarely visit there). No reason to visit there, really.

There are plenty of other areas to see a movie, have a beer.

The thought that crime is random and happens anywhere - can't agree with that. There are places down in neaby Bradenton that constantly is in the news for shootings. Same as ST Pete. There are certain socioeconomic groups that seem to enjoy shooting each other - thankfully for the most part they keep it in their neighborhoods.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,146,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I don't agree the kind of people who would cross out a whole area because of 1 stabbing a year are not going to move or go to Ybor anyway so its a moot point.
They'd be lucky to leave their condo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Ybor had a long history of shootings and stabbings over the years - I still wouldn't hang out there to this day and even during the day, if I'm alone there, I'd watch my back if I'm there (rarely visit there). No reason to visit there, really.

The thought that crime is random and happens anywhere - can't agree with that. There are places down in neaby Bradenton that constantly is in the news for shootings. Same as ST Pete. There are certain socioeconomic groups that seem to enjoy shooting each other - thankfully for the most part they keep it in their neighborhoods.
I never said crime is random. I said crime can be measured by stats. And the stats will tell you the odds of getting hit in any particular area. But even within those stats will be some random outlier here and there. Such that even if there might be a random shooting in Ybor--though I just checked raidsonline and it looks like nothing there in the last year--while you'll have more of a chance getting shot in St. Pete than in Ybor, yeah, there might be a random shooting just like there might be a random killing in Westchase.

Stats will tell you your odds, they don't prevent crime, certainly, neither in Ybor nor in Westchase.

I've been to Ybor plenty. They've a pizza place and a crepe place I like. I bring all my out of towner's there. I've never felt unsafe and none of my visitors ever commented negatively.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Ybor isnt even that dangerous TBH, but its definitely passe...

Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,610,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Sounds like paranoia to me. Your loss though. Ybor is the sole reason the city of Tampa exists to this day. And yes, there are other areas to have a beer or see a movie, but there's a reason breweries opened in Ybor and why there's a giant movie theater in Centro. Been going to Ybor for 10 years now. Never had to watch my back. Never been a victim. Imagine that.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:30 PM

3,745 posts, read 5,323,906 times
If crime numbers are declining in Ybor, it must be inclining elsewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay