Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,984,694 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Trump Tower: Tampa in one of the debates.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:10 AM

422 posts, read 409,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Trump Tower: Tampa in one of the debates.
The deal never happened and the contract fell through wasnt a knock on trump. Nobody really cares about menial apartment building contracts when running for US president anyway.

Im sure Trump has had THOUSANDS of these deals since the 80s some work out and some dont, its what you do when your a real estate mogul.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,275,077 times
It reflects ts negatively on him imo.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 PM

422 posts, read 409,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It reflects ts negatively on him imo.
Only for disgruntled locals that actually think Tampa is a big deal...

Old 09-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Only for disgruntled locals that actually think Tampa is a big deal...
No ....people who lost money because they invested hard earned money in Trump's building. It's just another example of his character.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:21 PM

819 posts, read 1,398,819 times
Anyone who invested money in that project and blames its demise on Trump would be an idiot. It was quite obvious to anyone looking at the project docs that his only involvement was supplying his name for $1mil or whatever the fee was. I don't know anyone with money to invest in real estate that would just blindly throw it at some project without thorough research; anyone who lives that dangerously with their money is probably used to losing it.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 PM

Buyers still feel burned by Donald Trump after Tampa condo tower failure | Tampa Bay Times

TAMPA — Jay Magner was watching the noon news one day when he heard that real estate tycoon Donald Trump and a group of local developers were planning a 52-story condo tower on the river in downtown Tampa.

"It changed the course of my life, literally,'' says Magner, who at the time owned a dollar store. "I thought, 'Oh my God, I could finagle that and live there.' "

Magner put down a deposit, joining dozens of other buyers eager to own part of what Trump called a property "so spectacular that it will redefine both Tampa's skyline and the market's expectations of luxury.''

A decade later, the city's skyline has indeed changed but not because of Trump Tower Tampa. Magner often walks or cycles by the acre and a half site, still weedy and empty.

"I lost $130,000,'' he says. "I didn't know people could take your money and not build the building.''

Old 09-17-2015, 04:34 PM

It's not unusual for dumb people to make dumb decisions and then look for someone else to blame them on; that's kind of the default in this country these days.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 PM

That's like blaming the victim of a Ybor City mugging because they were dumb enough to walk through the streets after midnight. Whether you would or wouldn't have made the deal is irrelevant. What's relevant is that Trump put his name on a project and took the money and ran. Demonstrates his character flaw as being unscrupulous.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM

That analogy has no logic; there is no similarity between someone being a victim of a random crime and someone making an ill-informed investment decision. Anyone who chose to invest in the project, you would hope, would have looked it over quite thoroughly, had a lawyer read the contracts and explain the risks, then chose whether to go forward, knowing the risks they were taking. I have many investment properties and I've never done a deal without my attorney handling it; anyone in real estate who would just blindly throw money into a too good to be true project is simply stupid, and stupid people often lose their money.

I'm not clear what aspect of the deal says anything about his character? He was paid to put his name on it, nothing more, nothing less. He puts his name on a massive amount of things because people pay him to do it. Look at all the celebrity chefs who have stupid lines of cookware that a manufacturer paid them to be on; do you think if my Emeril Lagasse non-stick pan finish starts coming off, I should fly to NOLA and ask him to give me a refund? Should Trump have paid all the investors back for a project he had nothing to do with managing because the actual entity who did run it into the ground made poor decisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay