Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:56 AM

20 posts, read 38,546 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving on a canal home in the Apollo Beach area. I hear that flood insurance has skyrocketed in the past 2 years and will continue to rise. Is this true? What about home owners insurance? If flood insurance is becoming unaffordable; will it bring down the market prices of waterfront homes? If so, would it be wiser to buy now or wait till it falls again. Right now, I do not see prices dropping, in fact they seemed to be increasing or holding their value. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:34 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer613 View Post
We are considering moving on a canal home in the Apollo Beach area. I hear that flood insurance has skyrocketed in the past 2 years and will continue to rise. Is this true? What about home owners insurance? If flood insurance is becoming unaffordable; will it bring down the market prices of waterfront homes? If so, would it be wiser to buy now or wait till it falls again. Right now, I do not see prices dropping, in fact they seemed to be increasing or holding their value. Is this correct?
Pay cash and go bare or deal with paying more and more every year. The cost is going to be insane. Just move away from any areas that flood and save 1000's.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:38 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
Water front property or at risk property is correctly only for those that can self insure as it is no longer politically correct to shift the risk to others.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM

I know it does make since to buy waterfront property as the risk are great and the insurance has skyrocketed. I used to live in the Tampa area before I joined the military. My family and I would love to move back and I am hoping sometime next year I will have the opportunity to by a home on the saltwater canal. It is just a little too high for us to afford one but if they drop another 25% I think we could pull it off. I guess my real question is - is flood insurance causing people to sell their canal homes and will this translate to more affordable property?

Last edited by boomer613; 09-07-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 12:11 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Flood insurance is a killer. I live nowhere near water but had to have flood because I was zoned for it. Then came Sandy and we actually did flood(had 2 feet of water in my house).
Of course Sandy flooded out areas that never, ever, saw water(like my neighborhood).
I am definitely looking to not be anywhere near a flood zone or flood insurance when we move. Screw that. Every year my policy went up, even before Sandy. Now it's basically unaffordable and crippling me financially.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:16 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
There is no one size fit all answer to flood insurance. It varies a lot from one location to the other. What one person pay (I do pay for flood insurance and I am nowhere near canal or such), won't help you because of the many factors that affect it. For a specific location, you can ask an insurance agent for a quote and you will have an idea. If you are barely affording the place that you plan to buy, not a good idea to be in such an area specially in Zone V. That's asking for trouble. If you can't afford the insurance, you have no business living close to water that requires high premium.

Don't rely on what people say over here-lots of misinformation thrown out here. Go to FEMA site, go to the county website and check the place that you are interested in how much would be the premium.

Best of luck!

Old 09-07-2015, 12:46 PM

hotkarl, if you do not mind me asking, how much damage did the flood from Sandy cause? I hear that most flood victims average about 32K in water damage. From a hurricane standpoint, most damage is caused by the wind, which is covered under your homeowner's insurance.

FEMA is just trying to recoup their loss as they are 24 billion dollars in the red from Sandy and Katrina - they need to build up their slush fund. I might just opt out of flood insurance and take the risk. I have read that many homeowners are just choosing to go without flood insurance. This might be an acceptable case for me as I think I could risk 32K. I know I could sheetrock my entire house for under 10K.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 AM

7 posts, read 12,170 times
yes,flood is very harmful for people.it is wiser to buy and fall down it again.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 AM

819 posts, read 1,408,822 times
For the OP:

Flood insurance will only be going up significantly for those who are living in homes that are built below the designated FEMA base flood elevation and either have mortgages (forced to carry it) or whom choose to carry it. Originally the rates were simply going to be adjusted from what was being paid to what should be paid, but that was later amended to no greater than a 25% rate increase per year until reaching the appropriate rate.

Now, for what determines the rate. Most homes on the water are going to be in an A zone or V zone. V tends to be mostly just beach front while A is most places that would be affected by a storm surge but not necessarily a direct hit. The difference between the two is V zone requires knock down walls at ground level and the elevation is measured from zero to the lowest piece of infrastructure, so plumbing, electrical, etc. "A" zone doesn't require knock down walls, and elevation is measured from zero to the height of the floor surface of the first livable floor; i.e. plumbing can still be below that floor but it doesn't count.

You can find the zone that your prospective property is in via the FEMA website by doing an address search. It will let you see the map for the area to also show you where the zones begin and end. It will also show the elevation number.

Homes that are built to the required spec are a non-issue. I'm in an A zone with 12 foot elevation and my flood insurance is about $400/year because my home is built to the proper height (actually two feet above because I didn't want to take the chance that FEMA raises the base flood elevation, which they can do!!). Of course, the home I tore down to build was not built to the required height and that flood bill would have been $9k/year.

The whole thing is a big racket. 60% of Floridian's flood payments end up supporting out of state people who build along flood prone rivers, or of course, the idiots who are living below sea level in New Orleans where all they need is a pump failure or levee breach to be under water. I wish flood insurance was state-based since they're all big on paying your appropriate rates now. That would help Floridians who are stuck below flood elevation, at least a little bit, and penalize the people who build where they shouldn't.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 AM

422 posts, read 412,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Pay cash and go bare
Please OP whatever you do, DO NOT do this.

Especially in those manmade canals, a slow moving TS can make those canals swell then you will be SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay