Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 04:57 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobboohah View Post
No problem, I was thinking I would really have to watch the fine print if the extra fees and costs will be in the thousands.

Also be prepared for a long wait the average waiting time in the Tampa ODAR is 17 months. Then it could take up to 3 months to get a decision in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
I agree. An attorney checked very step I made and sat-in at my ALJ appearances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobboohah;41282028

If I am paying the same fee I will without a doubt use an attorney. While advocates may be trained in disability issues, attorneys had to pass the bar and have more schooling so I would have a lot more confidence in them.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I agree. An attorney checked very step I made and sat-in at my ALJ appearances.
Hers a good forum for those trying to get ssdi/ ssdi

Ssdi facts forum .

Old 09-21-2015, 05:35 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Here's a little piece of advice: Never, EVER go cheap on this matter. Yes, an attorney takes a commission on retroactive payments. They're worth every penny. And you don't pay anything out of pocket. A friend of mine tried going the cheap route for years, with no success and finally contracted with a reputable firm who got it all straightened out. You may think your case is straightforward, but you'd be surprised how messed up it can get trying to resolve it on the cheap. You run the risk of raising all sorts of red flags in the process.

Just get an attorney.
This is outstanding advice. My wife had to go through this and without a skilled attorney, it would have been an even bigger nightmare than it was and took even longer than it did. And her case was as clear-cut as could be. She got hurt at work due to someone else's negligence.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 6,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Also be prepared for a long wait the average waiting time in the Tampa ODAR is 17 months. Then it could take up to 3 months to get a decision in the mail.
I was prepared for a 2 year wait so anything less will just be a bonus. Been just over 4 months so far with the initial denial and reconsideration.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I was prepared for a 2 year wait so anything less will just be a bonus. Been just over 4 months so far with the initial denial and reconsideration.
Yes the first 2 are handled by the state now the ODAR is in charge of everything.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 6,990 times
Quote:
Yes the first 2 are handled by the state now the ODAR is in charge of everything.
I am somewhat tempted to go it alone until I get a hearing date since i know sometimes when it is reviewed at this point it can get approved without a hearing. Would want to make sure an attorney had time to review before hearing though.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:40 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
I applied and was denied, asked for reconsideration which was denied and am now at the hearing stage. I have very up to date medical records.

I had a vertebra removed from my neck and two titanium plates installed, I have bullet fragments in my lower back with 2 compressed nerves and a severed nerve, I have transverse myelitis in my mid back and other issues. Yes, I think my case is pretty straight forward.

I even tried to work after recovering from the surgery, made it 8 months but coming home every night putting on heating pads and ice packs so that I could try and make it through the next day was getting old. My off days consisted of me laying around recovering so I could do it again the next week.

I am 50 years old, worked and paid into the system for almost 35 years, if I don't get it at the ALJ level then I'll take it to the appeals council and then the federal level.
Get an attorney. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. At the ALJ level, it's a crapshoot, at best. What if you get a mean wicked judge? It happens. Some ALJs deny 70% of the cases they hear. They must stay awake nights trying to figure out new ways to be mean. The Appeals Council? You could wait two or three years for them to even look at your case. And even if they accept review, they'll likely remand the case to the ALJ for another hearing, at which point you'll wait another year. Then what? The same ALJ you had in the first hearing would get your case back and they might deny you again. Back to the Appeals Council. And if you think the federal courts will be very sympathetic, think again. Florida is in the 11th Circuit. Not exactly known for being claimant friendly.

An attorney can help make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Get an attorney. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. At the ALJ level, it's a crapshoot, at best. What if you get a mean wicked judge? It happens. Some ALJs deny 70% of the cases they hear. They must stay awake nights trying to figure out new ways to be mean. The Appeals Council? You could wait two or three years for them to even look at your case. And even if they accept review, they'll likely remand the case to the ALJ for another hearing, at which point you'll wait another year. Then what? The same ALJ you had in the first hearing would get your case back and they might deny you again. Back to the Appeals Council. And if you think the federal courts will be very sympathetic, think again. Florida is in the 11th Circuit. Not exactly known for being claimant friendly.

An attorney can help make sure you have all your ducks in a row.
Agree get an attorney now since you are at the ALJ level and get your medical records yourself because it will be faster, but like I said look at the contract very close to make sure there is no fees to get medical records or other reports.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Agree get an attorney now since you are at the ALJ level and get your medical records yourself because it will be faster, but like I said look at the contract very close to make sure there is no fees to get medical records or other reports.
ALL medical providers charge for copies of medical record regardless who asks for them. $1-2 a page.
Plus postage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: