Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I'm not a fan of Indy, either. Tampa wipes the floor with it in every way, IMO. But then I am Florida born and raised, love the water, sand and salty air, the architecture and diverse culture here. My husband is from a small town in Indiana (near Indy), and went to Ball State, and he feels the same way. As does his best friend who moved to Tampa decades ago for a great job. If one likes corn fields and a lot of ugly red brick, then maybe Indy is your place.....not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
How recently have you been? Indy's downtown is incredibly dense/vibrant for a city of it's size, and is filled with a vast quantity of gorgeous architecture, both old and new, and BCSP certainly isn't cornfields, as seen from pics above. There are a lot of stereotypes about Indianapolis and about the Midwest in general, and some are far from true. And to be fair, small town Indiana is a completely different world from Indianapolis. If you check a picture of Indianapolis from Crown Hill Cemetery (also gorgeous), you'll see lakes and tree canopy over the hill, but hardly any cornfields

Indianapolis: America's most surprising city - Lonely Planet
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/tr...ress.html?_r=0

Many around the NFL/experts said that due to the connectivity and vibrancy of the city, it was the best Super Bowl Host, in NFL History. Reason why they're getting more Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc. If the DT wasn't good, there wouldn't be 2.3 million people going there for conventions per year, one of the largest such numbers in the country.

But at the same time each place has it's different advantages. Tampa is more "new", close to the country's best beaches and theme parks, more multicultural, warmer, etc., and does actually have surprisingly compelling history/culture also (certainly among the leaders in this in the Sun Belt).

I was mainly just replying to the poster further above that said that Indianapolis doesn't have any street activity in it's downtown, and is completely flat and nothing but cornfields. I'm not even from Indianapolis, but that is simply not true.

And even among those who (justifiably), prefer living in Florida and the things it offers, if we could right now, have a DT Tampa with the level of street activity, business density, architecture, cultural attractions etc. that was on par with Indianapolis, I think many Tampans would be overjoyed.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 10-23-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 06:35 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
The areas of "Tampa" outside the city limits are nicer than most areas inside. You couldn't pay me to live in the city limits - even the beloved overrated South Tampa is gross to me.
Sooo... The only time you've seen Tampa is when you look to the side while driving on the interstate?

Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
How recently have you been? Indy's downtown is incredibly dense/vibrant for a city of it's size, and is filled with a vast quantity of gorgeous architecture, both old and new, and BCSP certainly isn't cornfields, as seen from pics above. There are a lot of stereotypes about Indianapolis and about the Midwest in general, and some are far from true. And to be fair, small town Indiana is a completely different world from Indianapolis. If you check a picture of Indianapolis from Crown Hill Cemetery (also gorgeous), you'll see lakes and tree canopy over the hill, but hardly any cornfields

Indianapolis: America's most surprising city - Lonely Planet
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/tr...ress.html?_r=0

Many around the NFL/experts said that due to the connectivity and vibrancy of the city, it was the best Super Bowl Host, in NFL History. Reason why they're getting more Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc. If the DT wasn't good, there wouldn't be 2.3 million people going there for conventions per year, one of the largest such numbers in the country.

But at the same time each place has it's different advantages. Tampa is more "new", close to the country's best beaches and theme parks, more multicultural, warmer, etc., and does actually have surprisingly compelling history/culture also (certainly among the leaders in this in the Sun Belt).

I was mainly just replying to the poster further above that said that Indianapolis doesn't have any street activity in it's downtown, and is completely flat and nothing but cornfields. I'm not even from Indianapolis, but that is simply not true.

And even among those who (justifiably), prefer living in Florida and the things it offers, if we could right now, have a DT Tampa with the level of street activity, business density, architecture, cultural attractions etc. that was on par with Indianapolis, I think many Tampans would be overjoyed.
Well, I haven't been there in awhile , but my husband has (last week in fact). He works in downtown Tampa and would take it 100 times over Indy. Just different strokes is all. There are a few similarities, but the look and vibe of Tampa are overall what we prefer. Not saying one is better than the other, because these things are subjective. For us Tampa is way better.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:34 PM

I think subjectivity is certainly fair, but out of curiosity, what was it specifically that you guys particularly enjoyed about DT Tampa? I'll give DT Tampa this:
1. It has some neat areas surrounding it (Hyde Park Village, river and Bayfront with trail, Ybor City, Plant Museum/UT, eventually Channelside)
2. It has some pretty cool older buildings, plus the Sykes building is a cool skyscraper (Tampa Theatre, Central Station, City Hall, Sacred Heart Church)
3. It has NHL, albeit not at a location that draws people into the CBD (probably the best game atmosphere on average of any of the Big 4 Pro)

I'm not coming up with much else, other than perhaps just how easy it is to park for free on weekends (Seriously! That actually is nice). I think the Tampa museums are thankfully receiving a makeover/expansion on a 10 year plan along with the makeover of Channelside, but, what I'll say is, if the 15 year project puts Tampa's DT even close to same level of Indy's right now, I will be nothing short of ECSTATIC.

However, I would be curious what factors caused him to feel that way, aside from obvious natural differences between the regions as a whole (weather, closer water access, etc.)

Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I think subjectivity is certainly fair, but out of curiosity, what was it specifically that you guys particularly enjoyed about DT Tampa? I'll give DT Tampa this:
1. It has some neat areas surrounding it (Hyde Park Village, river and Bayfront with trail, Ybor City, Plant Museum/UT, eventually Channelside)
2. It has some pretty cool older buildings, plus the Sykes building is a cool skyscraper (Tampa Theatre, Central Station, City Hall, Sacred Heart Church)
3. It has NHL, albeit not at a location that draws people into the CBD (probably the best game atmosphere on average of any of the Big 4 Pro)

I'm not coming up with much else, other than perhaps just how easy it is to park for free on weekends (Seriously! That actually is nice). I think the Tampa museums are thankfully receiving a makeover/expansion on a 10 year plan along with the makeover of Channelside, but, what I'll say is, if the 15 year project puts Tampa's DT even close to same level of Indy's right now, I will be nothing short of ECSTATIC.

However, I would be curious what factors caused him to feel that way, aside from obvious natural differences between the regions as a whole (weather, closer water access, etc.)
As someone who has lived in both dt Tampa is by no means downtown Indy. Indy is in a completely different tier. Downtown Tampa isn't even downtown St Pete. But fountain sq which is the "quirky" hood in Indy is by no means ybor city as ybor is just in a completely different tier. Tampa has weather but lacks the change in seasons so no fall colors, no 1st snow. That's a plus for the mw until its time to shovel it then get trapped in by a snow plow and then have to go back out and do it again.

I grew up on lake mi so beaches are no big thing but someone born and raised in a land locked area can feel differently living within a measurable time of a beach. Sure fl water is way warmer but it's flat and lacks the dunes of nw Indiana and sw Michigan and the Chicago skyline is just an added bonus. Better scenary while fl has better beaches when it comes to the water.

As I said the first time, Indy holds its own very well against Tampa. Tampa is more laid back, Indy is more corporate. ISP way better than Florida state troopers. Impd well...not so much. Tampa def more scenic and more spread out once you start adding in St Pete and Clearwater.

Tampa doesn't have peer cities it competes with in close proximity while Indy has several right in its back yard so always having to up the anti as cincny,cbus, Louisville, etc, aren't slouches then there is Chicago to compete with so completely different dynamics.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Though DT Tampa has certain "big city things"/"bones" St. Pete doesn't, I would agree with your assessment that St. Pete has a nicer DT right now overall.

Having lived up north as well, the only times I remember being particularly "bad" were from about January 3rd to about Selection Sunday (Mid March). Even those times had their charms in some ways, seeing a frozen landscape can be a beautiful sight and sledding/skiing/building snow men can be fun.

Ybor City is pretty cool, but to me it has more of the "ethnic"/"historic"/"nightlife" charms than bohemia, I would say characterize Kenwood in St. Pete, or South Sarasota, or Seminole Heights section of Tampa as Bohemian. I've heard Indy people talk about Broad Ripple Village as the center of "Hipsterness". How does that compare? I'm not sure whether Indy has a neighborhood with as much historic charm as Ybor, since I don't know Indy that well.

Great, great point. I'd agree, Florida beaches have better sand quality and water quality overall (though the Upper Great Lakes sections have water that is clearer than any I have seen anywhere). Another thing that's true is that a lot of times water there can be viewed from a promontory/elevated point, which adds to the aesthetic.

Is Tampa more laid back? I'd say in some ways no matter how vibrant the city may be at a point in time, it seems like there's an undefinable "slowness" that comes with Midwestern culture/people (eg, the "Frozen Chosen" stereotype, that may or may not be accurate). Since fewer people are coming (and going), it sorta seems that way.

Northern cities seem to be more competitive in general, where southern cities are a little more laissez faire about that (Possibly because people have been there not as long and not developed those roots? Who knows). However, I would say that Orlando and Tampa are pretty competitive (eg, I would say that Orlando was trying to one up Tampa with building the DPPA, Amway perhaps partially in response to the Straz, Amalie.) But you are right, there are different dynamics.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:02 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Sooo... The only time you've seen Tampa is when you look to the side while driving on the interstate?
Assume much?
Don't really understand this comment - as I didn't last time you wrote the same things. NO have sent many days exploring Tampa and sorry - most of it is pretty rough. Some cute nice neighborhoods here and there but most commercial areas are pretty ugly and dumpy and you don't have to travel far to see some really ghetto looking residential parts.
Anyone who thinks Tampa is a beautiful city needs to travel more.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:27 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Anyone who thinks Tampa is a beautiful city needs to travel more.
I'd say the same thing about anyone who claims that Tampa is a "rough" city.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
^ by rough I mean rough looking. For sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay