Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 AM

15 posts, read 42,387 times

Advertisements

Ok here is the deal. We currently live in Oldsmar and although the area is ok....we hate where we are living. We found a house for rent in NPR and all I have heard is how crappy the area is. I just dont want to live in another St. Pete. We havent looked at the house yet but all my husband and I have been doing is fighting about this move. He thinks just because the house is nice the area is nice. Ummmm...no!!! The owner which lives in Tampa says the area is great and its by some good schools....which from what I read there arent any good schools in FL and if its so great why is he living in Tampa

We have lived in FL for 2 years and no offense to anyone....we hate it. I pray every night we can go home but do to the encomy we cant. I only plan on living here for one more year and dont think the move is worth the money. But he wants a bigger house with a back yard for our son and some better neighbors. We have a crazy one next to us. So what would you do?? It would be worth it to me if I heard some good things about the area so give it to me straight. Here is the street and zip if you are real familiar with the are....Colony Lake Blvd and the zip is 34654. Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,604 times
it is very hard to respond when we don't know what it is you are looking for. There are lots of homes with bigger yards with nice neighbors but how much are you wanting to spend on rent? How old is your son, (for school). What don't you like about where you are? Is it noisy, by main roads, too close to shopping center and traffic? Is it located by a rough neighborhood - Oldsmar is not terrible, in fact it once got an award for one of the best places to live in FL - beats me who makes up these awards.
New Port Richey is not exactly the center of the cultural universe, and it is somewhat dominated by US19 which runs through it, though obviously there are quieter parts. I don't know about schools, have never really heard anyone talk of them much. Taxes are lower in Pasco, so your rent might be better, but maybe that is at the risk of less amenities too.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 AM

15 posts, read 42,387 times
We are just renting. Oldsmar is ok....my son is only 10 months but better schools tend to mean better areas. We found a house to rent in NPR and its really nice. I just read not so many great things about the area that even if it a nice street is the area still filled with a whole bunch of gangs, crime and all the things I have heard of the area. I noted the zip code wasnt sure if that indicated anything. Oldsmar is VERY noisey due to the planes that sound like they are landing on our roof BUT like you said Oldsmar is on the top list for the nicer side of FL......I was just trying to way my options on the pros and cons. We are in a 2 bedroom condo for almost a 1000 when we can get a three bedroom and a whole lot bigger house for 1100 but at which cost. I can deal with no back yard and a crazy neighbor if it means I staying somewhere safer, if NPR is a nice family area then Im packing my things. I hope this made sense. I appreciate your reply. We only have a few weeks to decide and this is just eating up at me.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 AM

70 posts, read 363,314 times
Default I have lived here for 15 years

I have pretty much spent my life in New Port Richey (I know, not very exciting Just like any other area towns, there are good parts and bad parts. I do believe, that NPR suffers from far less violent crime and gangs than other larger areas like Tampa, CLW or St. Pete. There are some skectchey areas, but unlike most places, those areas are usually confined to just streets, not entire neighborhoods. I googled 34654 and it appears to be in the Moon Lake area. Moon Lake has been traditionally known as the not so nice part of town. It has long been associated with KKK/Skinhead activities, and much of that is still true. However, there are many new neighborhoods which are very nice in that area. My friend just bought a house in Waters Edge, near Moon Lake and it is a wonderful neighborhood. I live on the River by Downtown NPR and there are some beautiful older homes here, but just a couple of streets away, I see shacks with 4 cars in the front yard. So you take the good with the bad, but I truly feel that NPR "bad" isn't really that horrible. Depending on the price range, you might want to check out the Trinity area, which is technically still NPR, as everything there is pretty new. Thats where most people I know do most of their shopping/dining. Overall, my advice is to take a look in person at the house you're interested in to gauge the area for yourself and how it fits your needs. I personally would love Oldsmar, but I am happy to have to deal with less traffic/hassle in NPR.

Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Go north a bit more if you can. Citrus county is a nice place to live. I live in Inverness and like having the lakes right downtown, the walking trails and parks. It's relatively quiet town. Although i hope to be moving soon up north (to get back to family) i would stay here. Sounds like i have the perfect little house soon to be for sale (or heck we'll sell it tomorrow if we could). Big back yard, my husband just build a huge swingset/tree house in the back yard for my daughter, lake view and all 3 schools from elementary up through high school are within a 2 mile drive and town is 5 minutes away. Though the neighbors are mostly retired and 2 houses down lives a police officer with his own 2 small kids, I can honestly say it's a very quiet safe neighborhood. If not my house, you should check it out around here. Sounds like it's what you need.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
What about your husband's work? Is he going to have to drive to work everyday? How long a commute are you/he willing to make?

There are many places that would fit your criteria, although crazy neighbors can be anywhere. Not everyplace is in the flight pattern

Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 25,315 times
Default sorry I can't

I been down here for 3 yrs and love it in NPR much better the st pete
I sorry I can't tell you anything about that area but if you drive
about 10 min around main styou would love it here
as for the schools don't know
go to this site it is great site Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information it will tell you a lot about the area
good luck -- if your looking to move to NE PA I have a home for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperri View Post
Ok here is the deal. We currently live in Oldsmar and although the area is ok....we hate where we are living. We found a house for rent in NPR and all I have heard is how crappy the area is. I just dont want to live in another St. Pete. We havent looked at the house yet but all my husband and I have been doing is fighting about this move. He thinks just because the house is nice the area is nice. Ummmm...no!!! The owner which lives in Tampa says the area is great and its by some good schools....which from what I read there arent any good schools in FL and if its so great why is he living in Tampa

We have lived in FL for 2 years and no offense to anyone....we hate it. I pray every night we can go home but do to the encomy we cant. I only plan on living here for one more year and dont think the move is worth the money. But he wants a bigger house with a back yard for our son and some better neighbors. We have a crazy one next to us. So what would you do?? It would be worth it to me if I heard some good things about the area so give it to me straight. Here is the street and zip if you are real familiar with the are....Colony Lake Blvd and the zip is 34654. Thanks so much!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperri View Post

I do not know what neighborhood the house you are talking about in New Port Richey but I do live there and have no problem with the neighborhood or the people around me. I have wonderful neighbors who are caring and look after my place when I am not here. They have their own lives so are not at my door but do get calls and emails to let me know they are there and will be there for us if we need anything. I got an email recently saying, it has gotten colder now and wanted to know if you needed any extra blankets or anything else. Maybe we are just lucky, but have found if you are nice to them they usually will be the same but maybe not always. Good luck with your move and hope if you do move here that you will feel the same as I do.
Mary

Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
If you hate Olsmar and St. Pete you're likely to not like NPR either. What city did you come from?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
The area where you are looking at is newer, and the community itself isnt that bad. The area OUTSIDE the community however is another story. You have Moon Lake to your east, which is nothing but trailers and trailer trash. You have Colony Rd. to your north off 52 which is pretty much the same garbage. But I honestly think that area is not bad where you are talking about moving. If you have school age kids, keep in mind they may be attending the schools in the area where some of the riff-raff goes, but overall it isn't too bad.
And come on Gatornation- NPR is nothing at all like St. Pete (south St. Pete). Oldsmar is much more crowded and cramped, and maybe is more of a direct comparison, but I hate St. Pete and I live in NPR (south) and it really isn't too bad.
I just hate how you can live in a nice gated or newer community here, then walk across the street and there's people living in crappy trailers with garbage piled up in their front yard, broken down cars in dirt driveways, and toothless dirtbags hang out and drink beer in their front yards and getting into fights all night long. If Pasco ever got on the ball and started ripping out some of these places to make way for nicer homes, they could increase the tax base and have a much more desirable area. They are doing it right along Moon Lake Rd., and already it's made a major positive impact in that area.
But all in all, Colony Lake Blvd. is quite decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay