Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,438 times

Advertisements

I've been to the Key Largo/Homestead/Miami area of Florida maybe 10 years ago and enjoyed the weather.

I'm an IT professional who also owns a number of rental properties in the Seattle area. I'm considering moving to Clearwater. Primarily for retiring early, but largely due to the fact that the price to rent ratios in Clearwater are more favorable than high priced Seattle, where it is cheaper to rent than to own.

I'd likely buy a few rental properties and a house for myself to live in, but it looks like I'd have the option to work, as I see a ton of six figure IT jobs in the Clearwater area on indeed.

So my real estate portfolio goes further so I can actually stop working, but have the option to work since it seems there are jobs in my field with good pay readily available there. Maybe not as much as Seattle, but still good.

Looking at the stats on City Data, I don't see anything about Clearwater that I don't like. Did I mention that Clearwater has some of the best price to rent ratios for rental properties in the country?

I'm an introverted person who doesn't go out much, so rude people on the beach are not going to be something I would experience often, which seems to be the biggest gripe I've read so far on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
A C-D comparison provides interesting data. The cost of living is radically different between Seattle and Clearwater.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM

Mar. 2013 cost of living index in Clearwater: 94.8 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Clearw...#ixzz3o5QUSKy2

Mar. 2013 cost of living index in Seattle: 116.8 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Seattl...#ixzz3o5RP6wwZ

Yes, I looked at this. The rental property situation is primarily what attracts me to Clearwater. High rents in comparison to home prices. You would spend several times more than what a house in Clearwater costs and only get a few hundred bucks a month extra in rent, in the Seattle area as a landlord.

Having been there I know I like/love the weather (though I like the weather here overall as well since we do get four seasons) but I know the humidity is not an issue for me.

No income tax, just like WA, check.

Favorable gun laws, check.

High paying IT jobs readily available with a reasonable commute, check.

I haven't found anything bad. Yet. Even if I do, depending on what it is, it might not be enough to dissuade me. Oh, when I was originally looking at Ocala I found out the utilities there are really high, twice as much as other areas, and sink holes were a huge problem. Granted, Clearwater is in the area of FL that is prone to sink hole issues, but many of the houses I'm looking at are 70+ years old so I suspect they should be good for a while longer if they have not had sink hole issues.

Heck, I wasn't planning on moving to FL for another 6 years or so, but now that the job situation checks out favorably, I might just accelerate this and buy houses there after I move instead of buying more here, and continue my IT career in FL for a few more years. A possibility though home price appreciation is huge here, and salaries better, so it makes some sense to stay here for a while and fatten up before moving. Anyways...unless I hear an argument large enough to dissuade me from moving, the decision is basically made, it's just a matter of when.

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 10-09-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 09:28 AM

Forgot to mention, that I will of course be visiting Clearwater for a vacation before I move there. In fact, I will likely come at least twice. Looking online, my gf and I can vacation there for about a week for about 1K including air fare, hotel, and rental car. It would actually be a part time vacation, as I will have a list of things to check, verify and investigate while I'm there. After all, it is in preparation for the move. I've been researching places online for months, and I've finally narrowed it down to a state and city that work for me on paper. Time to see how they are in person.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charzee2015 View Post
You should think again. All the things you said are true, you need to factor in the crime rate here, the drug abuse epidemic, the endless crowds of very rude people. It can feel like a 3rd world country. The people here seem to have lost their good common sense. Don't go outside your home on the 4th of July, in the best of neighborhoods, drunken idiots fire their guns into the air, often killing and injuring people just out to enjoy family & friends. I could go on to tell you the real truth about this state, or you can just turn on the national news.
Oh pppllleeeaaazzze mr. one-poster, such an hyperbole of drama

Old 10-12-2015, 09:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
Quote:
You should think again. All the things you said are true, you need to factor in the crime rate here, the drug abuse epidemic, the endless crowds of very rude people. It can feel like a 3rd world country. The people here seem to have lost their good common sense. Don't go outside your home on the 4th of July, in the best of neighborhoods, drunken idiots fire their guns into the air, often killing and injuring people just out to enjoy family & friends. I could go on to tell you the real truth about this state, or you can just turn on the national news.
Everybody has an opinion. Another poster who would rather live elsewhere, but where?

Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Oh pppllleeeaaazzze mr. one-poster, such an hyperbole of drama
A new hater. Probable someone with a prior screen name, or several.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:51 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A new hater. Probable someone with a prior screen name, or several.
Exactly, no doubt about it.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 PM

927 posts, read 758,493 times
Let us know. My niece is about to try to move to South Florida.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:
What???

I feel very comfortable in the greater Tampa Bay area when I snowbird there for 6 months, and I come from a very, very small village in the middle of nowhere in the Canadian prairies.

Crime? It's an urban area. Use your situational awareness and you won't have a problem. I rarely lock my condo at night, just like in Canada. Drugs use? Avoid the areas. Do some fire their guns in the air? Yup, also on New Years. Do people get killed?

One on record... in Baltimore, not Florida.

Quit spreading fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay