Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:31 AM

440 posts, read 595,286 times

Advertisements

Yep, just did mine finally last week and altogether costed me $480, it's definitely not a cheap process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:38 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
So this is a seemingly complicated process, isn't it?!! I went through this in April in the Ruskin office. It was actually simpler than I thought. I can describe the process in that office--probably similar in other offices within Hillsborough county. May be the same throughout the state.

Also, make an appointment on line so you don't have to wait too long. Everything is done in one place.
I know this is old thread, but figure resurrect the dead instead of a new thread. If you make an appointment, can you make one appointment for both the husband and wife or do you need to make a separate appointment for each? Do you also need a separate appointment to do DL and Registration of car or can it all be done as one appointment? Asking as it had me choose one type of service and also entering personal information (Name, DOB).

Thanks

Old 02-09-2016, 06:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I know this is old thread, but figure resurrect the dead instead of a new thread. If you make an appointment, can you make one appointment for both the husband and wife or do you need to make a separate appointment for each? Do you also need a separate appointment to do DL and Registration of car or can it all be done as one appointment? Asking as it had me choose one type of service and also entering personal information (Name, DOB).

Thanks
You only need one appt. Everything will be taken care of at the same place. When I did mine there were a few couples getting their drivers licences, titles, registrations and plates.

If you have several vehicles you can call the sheriffs office and they will send someone to your house to verify your old titles and vin numbers. That saves you from making more than one trip.

When it comes due you pay your property taxes and sign up for the homestead exemption there too. (Or you can do it on-line).

Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM

279 posts, read 508,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
We did it all at the Tax Collectors office. the lady came out and checked the VIN herself

This ^^^

Old 02-10-2016, 06:00 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
You only need one appt. Everything will be taken care of at the same place. When I did mine there were a few couples getting their drivers licences, titles, registrations and plates.

If you have several vehicles you can call the sheriffs office and they will send someone to your house to verify your old titles and vin numbers. That saves you from making more than one trip.

When it comes due you pay your property taxes and sign up for the homestead exemption there too. (Or you can do it on-line).
Thanks for the info. One last follow-up, is the "APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF TITLE WITH/WITHOUT REGISTRATION" (form 82040) required to be filled out in advance or can you complete at time of the appointment?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:37 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
You can complete it at the time you are present.

As for the VIN verification, while you might be able to get someone to come by and do it at your house (I have using a community resource officer) it's just as easy to do at the tax collector's office, as they'll have a LEO on site to do it or one of their people will.

The only reason I've done it outside of the office is when I had a car that was non-operational that I wanted to title and register.

As mentioned previously, you can make a single appointment for multiple people. I've had as many as three family members get things done with one appointment.

It's a pretty simple process and I have yet to encounter the stereotypical DMV employee - the tax collectors are really customer service based, and you should have a very pleasant experience.

Don't forget if you're bringing cars into Florida from out of state you'll get dinged for the administrative fee on each vehicle - $225 each, I believe.

RM

Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 PM

82 posts, read 70,266 times
So, are taxes on cars really a one time thing in FL or do you have to pay anything else yearly?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:47 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
You pay an annual registration fee that is based on the weight and type of vehicle. No excise tax or anything like that.

RM

Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
All of this is very helpful info. I'm glad you are all here to shed light on this

Old 04-11-2016, 05:42 PM

65 posts, read 71,152 times
I had my insurance agent do the VIN check for me prior to heading to the registry. Def wasn't cheap to do the swap. All I had for proof of address was my new insurance policy and the guy let it slide. Almost $500 out the door for license,plates, and title to be changed over. Pretty painless. Just strolled into the tax collectors office one afternoon and was out of there in about an hour without setting up an appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay