Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

I agree, this should be a sticky along with the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you're set on doing this, try a couple of things that might assist with him getting interviews:

1.) Find someone whose address you can use for a return address in the area. A mail drop is another option, but using a PO box or a commercial address would not be a good thing.

2.) Set up a Google phone account with a local area code (813, 727) and number. Have it forward to your phone. Use the local address and phone number on applications/resumes.

As a former hiring manager, I can assure you that if I got resumes from outside the area they would go to the bottom of the pile. There are just too many issues with relocations, especially ones where people have no ties here or are not already in the area. When the employer isn't covering moving expenses, you know it's going to be an ordeal for them and their family. The retention rate for new employees in situations like this are pretty poor, so I wouldn't waste my time. Something goes wrong with the move, there's always a lot of angst over housing, getting settled, etc., that is not conducive to maintaining focus for a new employee.

As for moving without a job, personally I think you're crazy. You had better have at least six months of living expenses in cash. Also consider that without employment you're not going to be able to rent. The rental market here is HOT, and as a result landlords are picking and choosing. For that matter, even when the market was slow no one would lease to someone without a current job. Forget about paying in advance. I don't know a lessor who would do it.

Also understand that there are some pretty steep expenses just to enter the state. Registration of a car (which requires proof of Florida insurance) will cost you around $400/vehicle. Your $160/month insurance will probably double, easily. Hubby won't get hired without having residency in the state, so you're not going to be able to "cheat" and not register your vehicle or avoid insurance here. As soon as you get a driver's license (which you can't get without a permanent address or someone to vouch for you) everything else must fall into place.

$1200/month won't get you much for a family here. At least not in an area where you would want to live.

We've all seen these threads before. We also know that many of them end in really unpleasant situations, hence the overwhelming opinion that this is not a good idea. We're not trying to be mean or harsh, it's just that we've seen the end results of situations like this, some of which are bad enough that they're standing at the entrance ramp of the interstate begging, or end up on social services which affects our taxes...

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
If you're set on doing this, try a couple of things that might assist with him getting interviews:

1.) Find someone whose address you can use for a return address in the area. A mail drop is another option, but using a PO box or a commercial address would not be a good thing.

2.) Set up a Google phone account with a local area code (813, 727) and number. Have it forward to your phone. Use the local address and phone number on applications/resumes.

As a former hiring manager, I can assure you that if I got resumes from outside the area they would go to the bottom of the pile. There are just too many issues with relocations, especially ones where people have no ties here or are not already in the area. When the employer isn't covering moving expenses, you know it's going to be an ordeal for them and their family. The retention rate for new employees in situations like this are pretty poor, so I wouldn't waste my time. Something goes wrong with the move, there's always a lot of angst over housing, getting settled, etc., that is not conducive to maintaining focus for a new employee.

As for moving without a job, personally I think you're crazy. You had better have at least six months of living expenses in cash. Also consider that without employment you're not going to be able to rent. The rental market here is HOT, and as a result landlords are picking and choosing. For that matter, even when the market was slow no one would lease to someone without a current job. Forget about paying in advance. I don't know a lessor who would do it.

Also understand that there are some pretty steep expenses just to enter the state. Registration of a car (which requires proof of Florida insurance) will cost you around $400/vehicle. Your $160/month insurance will probably double, easily. Hubby won't get hired without having residency in the state, so you're not going to be able to "cheat" and not register your vehicle or avoid insurance here. As soon as you get a driver's license (which you can't get without a permanent address or someone to vouch for you) everything else must fall into place.

$1200/month won't get you much for a family here. At least not in an area where you would want to live.

We've all seen these threads before. We also know that many of them end in really unpleasant situations, hence the overwhelming opinion that this is not a good idea. We're not trying to be mean or harsh, it's just that we've seen the end results of situations like this, some of which are bad enough that they're standing at the entrance ramp of the interstate begging, or end up on social services which affects our taxes...

RM
e

Dead on true

Old 11-01-2015, 08:58 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
OP does your husband's resume list an address in Florida of a family member?
Are you financially prepared to finance flights for him to come down for an interview on a 24hr notice and would he be able to start new job on a 2week notice?

Old 11-01-2015, 12:32 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Segue into our usual humorous youtube video=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg
The only thing it's missing is the, "It costs too much to live in the dead center of Manhattan! It'll cost significantly less once we move to Ruskin!"

Old 11-01-2015, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 7,030 times
Have you looked into moving to a USDA Rural Development area like Wimauma, Sun City Center, and Apollo Beach?
Single Family Housing Programs | USDA Rural Development

Riverview and Brandon are a little more closer to the city. They are relatively safe. It can be a little congested. I live in South Tampa but I am going to move because of the rent increases.

I'll share my story. I used to live in Georgia and went on a beachfront vacation at the Tradewinds Resort in St. Pete. I fell in love with Tampa. I packed up an moved 2 months later and quit my well-paying for more work-life balance, better opportunities for my son. I had a decent savings. I traveled to Tampa from Atlanta about 4 times, staying in hotels, apartment hunting. I ended up having to move down and stay in a hotel for 2 days to find a place because there were limited vacancies and my other lease was up. I found a place, got approved, paid all the money and moved in the same day. A safe and desirable community in South Tampa. I went to visit family for a week in California. I came back to Tampa and had a job in 3 days. My ex-husband came to visit from Oklahoma and moved out here 3 months later.

Have faith and listen to your heart but also be rational in your decision-making. I have been doing fairly well out here. You are right, most employers will not respond to you unless you have a Florida address and number. Tell hubby to get a Google Voice number with an 813 area code and if he must, use someone's address. The only hard thing about that is they may want to interview within a couple hours or days if you look on Craigslist (Allegiant has cheap flights to Tampa). Also, hubby might need to work for a smaller company to get started because many Tampa employers are skeptical about the stability of transplants, and rightfully so.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 AM

769 posts, read 830,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You really need to rethink this. Moving anywhere when you have children depending on you without a job(and a good paying one) is foolish, moving to FL in this situation is extremely foolish.

It's not a state you want to find yourself down on your luck in.

And artsy/fartsy...you will have to drive to Sarasota for your fix. But that is the least of your issues.

You also better check out salaries. Your husband's take home pay for his line of work might be $2,000(and that is being generous). That gives you $800 for everything else, if you could even find a house to rent for your maximum price of $1,200.

There is animated video called "Moving to FL" that addresses this.
AGAIN, DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB. We have enough hungry mouths.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:07 AM

240 posts, read 286,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
The OP has 4 kids!!!! This video is not popular enough!

There are already 20+ million ppl living here! We're going to sink in the Ocean!!!!
Can't think of a better thing to happen to this state. Wish it had never been formed in the first place. Nasty hot wet swampy sinkhole piece of work. And on that note, you all have a nice day!

Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 AM

240 posts, read 286,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SowBeFruitful View Post
Seain: While I appreciate your "concern", we are adults and are very aware of what's needed to be able to move to a totally different state. We have a savings set out specifically for the move. My husband is experienced in his field and if it is necessary that we move to FL before finding a job I don't think he will have an issue, his take home pay would be over $2,000 a month and would leave plenty of room for our other necessities outside of a place to lay our heads. I've also seen the animated video and while I think some people move down there with that mindset we are NOT those people, nor are we young and naive. We have planned for the worst and FL isn't our only option for a place to move to nor has any of this move been a spontaneous idea. We have been planning and preparing for this move for over a year. The primary reason we even considered moving to Florida was to be close to family. Again, thank you for your reply.
OP, you just said here that it's your first move. And out of state, which is more complex. You may not be young and naive, but in defense of people like me and Seain Dublin, you should take the advice that we offer. Florida is not the Promised Land. I'm afraid you will end up in a bad situation for u and your kids. Living here and getting around (to said beaches and artsy fartsy areas) can be difficult. Unless hubby gets the high paying job first, I'd stay where you are.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:49 PM

356 posts, read 302,464 times
Stagnant wages and many traffic jams.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

RM
Agree with most of what you said, the problem is when you lie like this you have to be ready to get to the location you're pretending to be at quickly. Can the OP's husband pay full fare to fly to FL? If he is already in FL when did he quit his current job in their home state? See the lies build on one another. What happens if he gets hired and since he already quit his job in his home state(wink wink) and already lives in FL than he can start next week.

Now what? Tell the truth and say "I just flew in for this interview I have to give my job back in _____ two weeks notice"....how does that look? You lied about living in FL, so what else are you lying about.

Not a good idea, other than that great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
OP, you just said here that it's your first move. And out of state, which is more complex. You may not be young and naive, but in defense of people like me and Seain Dublin, you should take the advice that we offer. Florida is not the Promised Land. I'm afraid you will end up in a bad situation for u and your kids. Living here and getting around (to said beaches and artsy fartsy areas) can be difficult. Unless hubby gets the high paying job first, I'd stay where you are.
The OP just had her fourth child. So she will be staying at home. In her mind she envisions taking her kids to the beach and museums. She will have to drive to Sarasota to get her needs met. All this costs money.

I also think the OP hasn't researched salaries. What happens if there is a big salary cut? Can't just go by lower cost of living, when you end up cutting your income by say 40%.

This is why so many end up in a bad situation in FL. They don't think in reality. You don't move kids if you don't have a good paying(good paying being the key word) set up in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay