Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:18 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Ummm.....Yes she did. Maybe YOU need to go back and read the entire thread.
Here, I'll save you the time:

Seain: While I appreciate your "concern", we are adults and are very aware of what's needed to be able to move to a totally different state. We have a savings set out specifically for the move. My husband is experienced in his field and if it is necessary that we move to FL before finding a job I don't think he will have an issue, his take home pay would be over $2,000 a month and would leave plenty of room for our other necessities outside of a place to lay our heads. I've also seen the animated video and while I think some people move down there with that mindset we are NOT those people, nor are we young and naive. We have planned for the worst and FL isn't our only option for a place to move to nor has any of this move been a spontaneous idea. We have been planning and preparing for this move for over a year. The primary reason we even considered moving to Florida was to be close to family. Again, thank you for your reply.
Sorry. Didn't remember that reply.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 03:07 PM

21 posts, read 28,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Also understand that there are some pretty steep expenses just to enter the state. Registration of a car (which requires proof of Florida insurance) will cost you around $400/vehicle. Your $160/month insurance will probably double, easily. Hubby won't get hired without having residency in the state, so you're not going to be able to "cheat" and not register your vehicle or avoid insurance here. As soon as you get a driver's license (which you can't get without a permanent address or someone to vouch for you) everything else must fall into place.

RM
Hi, sorry to jump on this old thread, but I have a question about the quote above.

It looks like you have to be registered as Florida resident to be hired, and you need a job to rent an apartment. But you also need local address to get local driver's license and register as a resident. Catch 22? What is the correct sequence of actions after moving?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica974 View Post
Hi, sorry to jump on this old thread, but I have a question about the quote above.

It looks like you have to be registered as Florida resident to be hired, and you need a job to rent an apartment. But you also need local address to get local driver's license and register as a resident. Catch 22? What is the correct sequence of actions after moving?
There's nothing that says you have to be a resident to be hired, unless it's for a local government that requires residency. Also, if you have family here you can have a family member sign an affidavit stating that you're living with them - the tax collector (DMV) has the forms.

The rental market here is very strong, so lessors aren't in a position where they need to cut anyone slack. With that in mind I doubt very much you'll find a landlord who is going to rent to someone without an existing job.

I've come into the state a couple of different ways. The best thing to do is to establish residency first by renting/leasing a place to live. With a copy of a lease you can get a driver's license - you also have to have a local address to get insurance, a requirement for titling/registering a car.

The alternative is to have a family member sign an affidavit stating that you are living with them, which also establishes residency as far as the state is concerned for a driver's license. Again, you've got to title and register a vehicle, so you'll need insurance written in the state as well. Figure around $400 to bring a car in from out of state.

Information is here:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/dhsmv/newflres.html

RM

Old 11-22-2016, 08:47 AM

163 posts, read 183,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica974 View Post

There are also a lot of short-term rentals here available via AirBnB and similar sites. If I were moving to Florida and was having a hard time finding a rental, I would rent something short-term while I found a job and secured a longer-term living situation. Those rentals will be more expensive now because it's in season, but I bet they have some great deals in the summer. It seems like such an easy work-around to people who want to move here but can't get a long-term lease. It's more expensive on the front-end, but if you can't cover the extra $1000 or so, then you likely shouldn't be moving without a job in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay