U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 AM

543 posts, read 1,048,667 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a position in St Pete that's 13k/yr more than I'm making now (I'm in Orlando; my wife makes $1k/yr on the side tutoring). We currently have a 3br/2ba house with 1850 sq ft and a lanai on the back. We're in a nice safe neighborhood and pay around $1050/mo mortgage. My concern is that housing costs for something similar there will be so high that it'll be more of a lateral move for me instead of an upward one. In other words, all the increased salary will be eaten up by higher housing costs. When we sell our house we *should* make an extra $75k due to increase in value, enabling us to find something in the $200-220k range perhaps. We have three small children, so safety is mandatory. But the way the numbers are shaking out, I'm not sure I would come out ahead once the smoke clears. If I were offered this here in Orlando, it would be a no-brainer to take it. Then again, how often am I going to be offered a job in St Pete for $75k/yr when I'm only making $50k now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,672,522 times
You may find it hard to manage with a combined salary of just $75k
housing is much more expensive here, to find a good 3/2 in a good school district/safe etc you are looking at
probably more than your budget. Orlando is cheaper for housing for sure, you need to do more calculations I fear.
You may find a townhouse, but probably not a single family home in the right neighborhood for that price, unless its a fixer upper and then you need endless sums to fix it up

Old 11-04-2015, 11:49 AM

543 posts, read 1,048,667 times
Hmm. What about in Tampa? Then commuting to St Pete? Are things more affordable the further you get away from the coast?

Your profile says "buyer's agent." Are you a realtor?

Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM

14,155 posts, read 20,281,111 times
I can tell you that in the Clearwater area you can pretty easily find 3 bed/2 bath houses in good neighborhoods for around $150k. It's not at all hard to do.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 PM

6,699 posts, read 7,310,915 times
You have three small children...so schools will be an issue...check school ratings...not sure any schools in either st.pete or clearwater will pass muster...

Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 AM

15,871 posts, read 33,295,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
You have three small children...so schools will be an issue...check school ratings...not sure any schools in either st.pete or clearwater will pass muster...
I agree ^^, you must check into schools - that may be a deal breaker right there.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:08 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,907,612 times
You may want to try Bradenton; it's still within a reasonable distance to St Pete...and the schools might be better there...

Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,734,186 times
Nonsense, there are good schools in St. Pete. My wife is about to go to work in one. And the housing costs aren't that bad! Two people on $75,000 a year can live great. Where do these comments come from? Don't depend on school rankings, as they are skewed. Go to the schools and ck them out, talk to the admin, talk to the parents picking up their kids, etc.

I was staying in an Airbnb temp place while checking out the city recently, and it was in an area I would certainly live in, w/ good schools too. I asked my host what a home in her neighborhood sold for, and she said one recently sold for $85,000 for an older 2 bdrm w/ a huge yard. Really, the area was fine too.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 AM

769 posts, read 661,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Nonsense, there are good schools in St. Pete. My wife is about to go to work in one. And the housing costs aren't that bad!
Most of the schools, especially in the trendy parts of town are absolutely deplorable...

Old 11-05-2015, 12:19 PM

2,727 posts, read 4,633,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Nonsense, there are good schools in St. Pete. My wife is about to go to work in one. And the housing costs aren't that bad! Two people on $75,000 a year can live great. Where do these comments come from? Don't depend on school rankings, as they are skewed. Go to the schools and ck them out, talk to the admin, talk to the parents picking up their kids, etc.

I was staying in an Airbnb temp place while checking out the city recently, and it was in an area I would certainly live in, w/ good schools too. I asked my host what a home in her neighborhood sold for, and she said one recently sold for $85,000 for an older 2 bdrm w/ a huge yard. Really, the area was fine too.
I kind of agree with you.

OP, the median household income in Tampa Bay is around 40K or 45K, unless we are saying half of the bay area household is living on rental, which is not the case, 75K should be great to live on-by the numbers. Come on people! Unless someone lives above their means, or have huge student loan, or other debt to keep up with the Jones, you should be fine. Plus you are bringing a sizable down payment.

Also, expecting the school to make your kid high performing is blowing smoke. You get what you put in. It doesn't matter if you put him in A school unless you are involved, your kind won't have much of a chance in success. I have several families members that are currently sending their kids to Ivy League schools with zero money. I am putting the time right now in my child's school. I plan on paying zero, Nada for college. It is that simple!

ETA: A 50% jump in salary is huge. Don't pass that up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay