Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Clearwater (Countryside area), and have spent many years working in Safety Harbor and lived for 6 years in Oldsmar (including renting in East Lake Woodlands), so I am very familiar with the areas you are looking in.

Safety Harbor would probably be the most ideal of all those places. I think it would be the easiest commute for both of you, plus it's close to Countryside Mall and several shopping centers and far enough away from US 19. The Marshall St area is very nice, plus there's the downtown area, library, and boat dock, several parks that you could ride with your kids to (including Marshall St Park and Phillipe Park). I think you should be able to find a home in that area that checks everything on your list and in your budget. You may want to check out La Forest Ave, Tall Pine Circle, North Bay Hills, and Beacon Woods. They're a little farther out from downtown but they are very nice neighborhoods. Basically anything in Safety Harbor north of Main St would be a good bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 05:36 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
East Lake Rd and Keystone Rd area of Pinellas County is a great area to live in. You will be able to take Keystone Rd to Gunn HWY and in 15 minutes total time driving, your on the Veterans Expressway, there is no way of getting to South Tampa any faster, unless you live in Clearwater near Highway 60.

The area I mentioned in the far north Pinellas has a very country feel of living, but all the houses are newer and upscale. The schools are A rated. Your wife will have a easy drive also on East Lake Rd going south to Clearwater.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaariel View Post
Thanks. Anymore advice?
Why take US19 when 611 is by far better and safer?

We live in the East Lake area of Palm Harbor and when our son lived with us while working in DT Tampa, it was 40 to 75 minutes to and from work.....depending on time of year and traffic issues or not. I would imagine you would have to add additional time to get to S.T..

As wonderful as it would be for you to live in this area, I think that could be outweighed by the commute.....depending on what you are accustomed to and your tolerance.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:29 PM

55 posts, read 167,803 times
My office is across the street from Weatshore Mall, so it not that far into south Tampa.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:38 PM

769 posts, read 829,526 times
Quote:
My office is across the street from Weatshore Mall, so it not that far into south Tampa.

Ok, thats not really what most people consider to be south tampa, considered westshore area. That definitely shaves about 15 minutes off of commute estimates

Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 PM

279 posts, read 316,376 times
Westchase.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:10 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times
Quote:
Hello. My wife and I married about 2 months ago. We've been living in my townhouse in South Tampa. It was perfect when I was single, but alas it's small for 2. We plan on having kids sooner than later. My wifes commute to Clearwater is also a reason for us to move. I work in South Tampa. My commute is 10 minutes. Hers in an hour with traffic. We'd like to move somewhere where its about half an hour for both of us. Public School ratings are important.

For what we are looking for, we are priced out of South Tampa. We are looking for at least 4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, and 2500 sf. We are undecided about having a pool. Our max budget is around 450 but would like to stay under. We've found some houses in Palm Harbor (Severs Landing to be exact), but worried about the proximity to US 19 and Belcher could be a problem. There are houses in Oldsmar (East Lake Woodlands golf course), Westchase, and a nice house in Safety Harbor (Huntington trails) as well.

Anyone have opinions about these areas? Thanks
South Tampa is lovely, but you are right ... it is out of the range of most people's budget.

I live in Safety Harbor, very close to Huntington Trails, actually. Huntington Trails is beautiful! You should be able to find what you want there that is within your budget. Safety Harbor is an amazing community. My husband and I are both professionals and we have two teenaged children. We are constantly saying we wish we would have moved here sooner because the community is AMAZING for young families! There is so much for the little ones to do all the time.

Your wife's commute to South Tampa won't take too much time. I can get there in under 20 minutes in good traffic. If there's bad traffic, it may take 30.

Why don't you come to Safety Harbor one weekend, check in to the spa for a couple of nights, and just hang out in the community? That's really where you'll get a feel for what it is like to be here ... go to dinner downtown, stay for one of the festivals, check out the community center and library, rent bikes and go for a nice ride down our beautiful bayside trails, and definitely check out Philippe Park!

The only thing I would caution you about is our schools. The elementary school is good, and the middle school is also good, but Countryside High has mixed reviews. We do have good private school options close by, though - Espiritu Santo is one of the best in the Diocese and we have a great Montessori school! We have NorthBay and Harbor Christian as two part-time homeschool options in the area as well, and we are very close to several other amazing private schools.

Good luck on your search!

Old 11-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies. After look at houses in Oldsmar, Palm Harbor, East Lake, and Safety Harbor we decided Safety Harbor would be where we concentrated our efforts. Now if we can just find a house there...

Old 11-12-2015, 12:58 PM

Thank you for the response. Are there any areas that I should stay away from in Safety Harbor? Are neghborhoods off of Enterprise good? Main? How about the neighborhood Weatherstone? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
South Tampa is lovely, but you are right ... it is out of the range of most people's budget.

I live in Safety Harbor, very close to Huntington Trails, actually. Huntington Trails is beautiful! You should be able to find what you want there that is within your budget. Safety Harbor is an amazing community. My husband and I are both professionals and we have two teenaged children. We are constantly saying we wish we would have moved here sooner because the community is AMAZING for young families! There is so much for the little ones to do all the time.

Your wife's commute to South Tampa won't take too much time. I can get there in under 20 minutes in good traffic. If there's bad traffic, it may take 30.

Why don't you come to Safety Harbor one weekend, check in to the spa for a couple of nights, and just hang out in the community? That's really where you'll get a feel for what it is like to be here ... go to dinner downtown, stay for one of the festivals, check out the community center and library, rent bikes and go for a nice ride down our beautiful bayside trails, and definitely check out Philippe Park!

The only thing I would caution you about is our schools. The elementary school is good, and the middle school is also good, but Countryside High has mixed reviews. We do have good private school options close by, though - Espiritu Santo is one of the best in the Diocese and we have a great Montessori school! We have NorthBay and Harbor Christian as two part-time homeschool options in the area as well, and we are very close to several other amazing private schools.

Good luck on your search!

Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times
Quote:
Thank you for the response. Are there any areas that I should stay away from in Safety Harbor? Are neghborhoods off of Enterprise good? Main? How about the neighborhood Weatherstone? Thanks
The neighborhood of Weatherstone is very nice. We have friends who live in the adjoining neighborhood off of Booth Rd. and they love it there - loads of nice families.

There are some sketchy areas, but none are what I would consider really bad. I've walked and biked through the sketchier areas many times without any issues. You'll know the sketchier areas when you drive around. It sounds like you are looking at being in an actual subdivision, so you should be fine as there aren't any bad subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay