Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Of course its fair to say that. WE are helping the ones who stayed and are fighting for their Country. Also, its not like they have to fight with Muskets either. All sides have the same weapons, which has absolutely nothing to do with anything. They should be fixing their own Country, and not running.
Helping by dropping bombs in hospitals? You know you can't air strike them back to democracy, right? The people fleeing don't have access to the same weapons, again who are they supposed to be fighting the Assad regime, in which case I guess they can throw rocks at b the military tanks and Russian airplanes, or the rebels that have U.S. Support, again rocks to drones maybe. Modern armies have weapon systems that the layman does not have access to, 200 years ago that was not the case, if you need that explained to you then I can see where your lack of empathy comes from.
Just say you don't want them here because they are not you, they don't look like you, you think they are savages, dirt bags looking for a free ride, they can possibly maybe inconvience you a bit, all those are better reasons than trying to justify it with all these inane reasons.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Alright, I'm far from having any insight on Muslims. I just started reading a primer on Islam, but Glen Beck wrote it, so I'm very skeptical. But I think a devout Muslim believes in Sharia Law and that it would trump our Constitutional Law. How do these refugees deal with that contradiction - are we going to be dealing with these immigrants in court on a regular basis because they're practicing Sharia Law in their families or between themselves. What assurances do we have that they will be upstanding citizens, even more, terrorists?

Old 11-17-2015, 02:41 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Please re-read and try a tad harder to comprehend my post. I did not mention charities nor did I mention religion. I was talking about supporting candidates who share my views on humanitarian aid so that my tax dollars go to these relief efforts.
No, you mentioned taxes and humanitarian aid, so did you know that these "refugee agencies" are, in fact, religious organizations subcontracting with the State Department? They are conduits for taxpayer funded "humanitarian" aid. And not only does this violate separation of church and state, but they receive taxpayer money PER HEAD to re-settle these refugees.

I resent having my tax dollars go to this. Not only do they screw over the taxpayer the first time, by running what amounts to a forced shakedown, but they do it TWICE, the second time being when they dump the refugees on the state or local community and move on, leaving the locals to cope with the fallout and get further screwed having to provide services, education, law enforcement, etc. It's a disgusting scam, and NOT humanitarian, unless you consider forcing people to help others when they'd rather not is humanitarian.

Help should be given freely, not coerced in the form of taxes. Oh, and by the way, these "religious" humanitarian organizations have managements that receive some pretty hefty salaries.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Alright, I'm far from having any insight on Muslims. I just started reading a primer on Islam, but Glen Beck wrote it, so I'm very skeptical. But I think a devout Muslim believes in Sharia Law and that it would trump our Constitutional Law. How do these refugees deal with that contradiction - are we going to be dealing with these immigrants in court on a regular basis because they're practicing Sharia Law in their families or between themselves. What assurances do we have that they will be upstanding citizens, even more, terrorists?
A good source might be some of Thomas Jefferson's study of Islam and writings about his dealings with Muslims. He kept a Koran for reference, and I believe that Koran was the one that Keith Ellison was sworn in on, as I recall he refused the Bible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ellison

Old 11-17-2015, 03:35 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
So do evangelicals.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:05 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
My gripe isn't just the fact all these people are to be brought here. It is America does not take care of its own at all, and is getting away with it. There are god knows how many people in this country, that have absolutely nothing. They come from all walks of life, and the elderly is probably at the top of the list. I just came from an 80 year old woman's home, who is rationing food and diabetic supplies. So she can buy her Insulin, and manage on her own. Because there is no one left in her life to help her at this age. Who is helping these people. Please don't tell me Social Services because everything is money in America. Most of these people with nothing, could never qualify for what these refugees get. Plus these refuges get to go from state to state with no restrictions. It's not right and leaves the door open, for massive problems with the bad apples in the bunch. Believe me there will some really bad apples in the bunch. Isis will make sure of it.

Many US citizens with little to nothing here, are taxed to pay for all these people America brings in. All these free benefits handed out when they arrive, don't just drop from the heavens above. We all have to pay the taxes to fund it, even those that have so little they can barely pay. This just didn't start with the Syrians that are suppose to come here. It has been going on for decades, at the expense of people that have no one looking out for them. That is my gripe. It is far from just the danger of bringing all these refugees here.

I am all for spending money to resettle them in a proper area of the Middle East. Which is their home to begin with.

The neglect of America's own people, is a huge thorn in my side with this country. Yet constantly putting the welcome mat out for others, even with the threat of terrorist sneaking in with the masses. What kind of a moron nation and Gov't behaves this way.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:10 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Mod edit: inappropiate comments,personal attack.

New York wasn't Terrorist Territory either, but we had 911.

I know a lot of people work there due to greed, and take big risks. Doesn't mean they are smart. If things go wrong, they cry foul and want Taxpayers to bail them out because they where stupid to be there in the first place. You read about it all the time. .
I'm beginning to think you don't have much of an understanding of the Middle East.
Lots of Americans work there because the American companies they work for who send them there earn vast profits from the region, in oil, finance,construction,weapons and a myriad of other businesses.
The profits they make benefit millions of people back in America and probably help to pay for many of the things you take for granted and presume only American-based tax dollars pay for.
It's not the Wild West in the desert but modern,sophisticated countries which encourage inward business from the Western world.
But,in the same way you expect immigrants and foreign nationals in the States to respect our customs and tradition they too expect a similar amount of respect in return.
Such ignorance about the world outside the United States is one of the reasons why this country is reviled and distrusted by so many people.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
My gripe isn't just the fact all these people are to be brought here. It is America does not take care of its own at all, and is getting away with it. There are god knows how many people in this country, that have absolutely nothing. They come from all walks of life, and the elderly is probably at the top of the list. I just came from an 80 year old woman's home, who is rationing food and diabetic supplies. So she can buy her Insulin, and manage on her own. Because there is no one left in her life to help her at this age. Who is helping these people. Please don't tell me Social Services because everything is money in America. Most of these people with nothing, could never qualify for what these refugees get. Plus these refuges get to go from state to state with no restrictions. It's not right and leaves the door open, for massive problems with the bad apples in the bunch. Believe me there will some really bad apples in the bunch. Isis will make sure of it.

Many US citizens with little to nothing here, are taxed to pay for all these people America brings in. All these free benefits handed out when they arrive, don't just drop from the heavens above. We all have to pay the taxes to fund it, even those that have so little they can barely pay. This just didn't start with the Syrians that are suppose to come here. It has been going on for decades, at the expense of people that have no one looking out for them. That is my gripe. It is far from just the danger of bringing all these refugees here.

I am all for spending money to resettle them in a proper area of the Middle East. Which is their home to begin with.

The neglect of America's own people, is a huge thorn in my side with this country. Yet constantly putting the welcome mat out for others, even with the threat of terrorist sneaking in with the masses. What kind of a moron nation and Gov't behaves this way.
100000% agree with this post! You're absolutely right.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'm beginning to think you don't have much of an understanding of the Middle East.
Lots of Americans work there because the American companies they work for who send them there earn vast profits from the region, in oil, finance,construction,weapons and a myriad of other businesses.
The profits they make benefit millions of people back in America and probably help to pay for many of the things you take for granted and presume only American-based tax dollars pay for.
It's not the Wild West in the desert but modern,sophisticated countries which encourage inward business from the Western world.
But,in the same way you expect immigrants and foreign nationals in the States to respect our customs and tradition they too expect a similar amount of respect in return.
Such ignorance about the world outside the United States is one of the reasons why this country is reviled and distrusted by so many people.
Because everyone knows how polite and self-effacing the Brits were as they spread their empire.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
I agree. I don't even know of a single Muslim leader in this nation. Other religions have a few identifiable leaders who'd you'd expect to speak up or show outrage. Here, nothing. Maybe a few celebrities such as Kareem Abul Jabbar - even celebrities like that need to be out front, on national TV showing outrage. It doesn't help their cause against bigotry when they stay in the background after these types of tragedies.

In my opinion, silence is seen as consent.

I did see a few Muslim leaders in France speaking up. But that doesn't make it back on Faux News. I think I saw it on PBS's Newshour.
I think they would be putting their families in jeopardy. Nobody who has children wants to begin defending Muslims or bring attention to their families in today's atmosphere of fear and hate. What if some nut burns down their houses? In 2012 someone said to me that Romney was a shoo-in because he never saw any Obama-Biden signs on the lawn when he drove around the area. He wouldn't accept my explanation, even when I told him what happened to me in 2008. No bumper stickers, tee shirts or even campaign buttons for me!

Remember when a man from India was taking a stroll and a neighbor called the cops? That man had flown to Alabama to help his children who had a newborn. He was knocked to the concrete sidewalk by the cops and seriously injured. So if that can happen just because someone is foreign, imagine if a person stands up and starts telling Trump or Cruz supporters that Muslims really are nice people who want to live and work in America, but are misunderstood by most Americans. It's not as if they haven't already been told this over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay