Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:34 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,018,377 times

Advertisements

Good deal. Keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Seems to me that Code Enforcement can call the numbers on the sign to find out the owners of those signs. Then send them a fine to pay for breaking the sign ordnance and disposal of the signs. Then see how quickly they disappear.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM

120 posts, read 117,820 times
There's 2 apps that are useful for reporting things like this and other community issues.

SeeClickFix - Android / Apple / Windows Phone - Report non-emergency issues, receive alerts in your neighborhood - SeeClickFix

PublicStuff - Android / Apple / Windows Phone / Blackberry - PublicStuff

You can take a picture and submit a report about various issues (code violations, potholes, road hazards, etc.) and they get routed to the proper municipality. It beats having to look up a phone number to report something and being told it's "the other city". I use it pretty regularly and have seen good results.

I totally support the removal of these roadside signs. They are nothing but litter, and most of them are scams.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,098,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Seems to me that Code Enforcement can call the numbers on the sign to find out the owners of those signs. Then send them a fine to pay for breaking the sign ordnance and disposal of the signs. Then see how quickly they disappear.
That sounds like work...this is the government we are talking about, right?

Old 11-25-2015, 01:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Finally got fed up with seeing those obnoxious election-style signs everywhere and decided to do something about it. This weekend, I pulled over and parked near a few intersections and yanked about 25-30 of these puppies out of the ground and chucked 'em in the dumpster.

It's everything from WE BUY HOUSES to SELL YOUR JUNK CAR to FIX YOUR CREDIT. All kinds of gimmicks / scams that clutter up street corners everywhere. You tend to see them moreso in poor neighborhoods and they make everything look trashy. Hillsborough County Code Enforcement tries to cleanem up when they can, but they don't have nearly enough staff and hours to keep up.

Who's with me on this? If everyone in the whole county grabs like 5 a week and chucks 'em, we can stick it to these annoying marketers / scammers. Who wants to join me? If you see 'em at an intersection and you have a few minutes to spare, park in a business or plaza, walk around and get 'em! A group effort countywide would go a long way. If enough of us team up and do this, we can fight back.
Your post reminds me of this story last year.....

Hernando man accused of stealing 244 political signs

Old 11-25-2015, 06:10 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
That sounds like work...this is the government we are talking about, right?
If they were to pick a few highly visible ones and follow that with a few news stories in print and TV. Word would get out and the signs would quickly disappear. Business are looking to make money not pay fines. But yes this is government, so It won't happen anytime soon, Too simple.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Code Enforcement in Hillsborough County does have people who regularly take these down. The utilities do it, too. The only issue is that it's not a priority and they don't have dedicated staff to do it, so it's not something that's aggressively pursued.

They're dangerous on utility poles, as the nails and staples can scratch and injure linemen when they climb the poles.

RM

Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 AM

769 posts, read 829,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Your post reminds me of this story last year.....

Hernando man accused of stealing 244 political signs
Political signs are protected... there' s a difference.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Political signs are protected... there' s a difference.
Oh sure, not saying that political signs weren't protected.

The similarity is that OP and the Hernando man both see the signs as eyesores and wanted to police them up....

All I see is trash, on the street, of my home," he said.

So, for the past few weeks, he says he's been doing his part to clean up.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Finally got fed up with seeing those obnoxious election-style signs everywhere and decided to do something about it. This weekend, I pulled over and parked near a few intersections and yanked about 25-30 of these puppies out of the ground and chucked 'em in the dumpster.
I understand your intent but Can you be sued for theft of property? I think you need to let the county or the city do it's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay