Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Exactly. I worked with power distribution utilities all over the US and Canada for 20+ years, and I never saw a location that was served by two utilities at the same time.

I checked both utility's web sites for coverage maps, but they don't have them. From their service area descriptions, it sounds like both of them serve areas of NPR, but don't overlap.

If you call one of them with the service address they'll be able to tell who who services it, even if it's not theirs.

RM
While I respect your experience, Morton, I must disagree. Texas has deregulated electric and you actually do have a choice of service providers. Check out the Dallas CD forums for a few discussions.

Dax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 06:30 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
While I respect your experience, Morton, I must disagree. Texas has deregulated electric and you actually do have a choice of service providers. Check out the Dallas CD forums for a few discussions.

Dax
Well, I will say that I never did any work in Dallas, only Houston, and it was over 20 years ago. I don't recall there being deregulated electricity at that time.

That's interesting to know. I would be curious to know who is responsible for the infrastructure, or if the utilities share the costs? Something for another thread, of course...

RM

Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 PM

769 posts, read 829,526 times
You DO NOT have choice. TECO serves some addresses, Duke (progress energy) Serves others, Withlacooche serves others.

Again, you DO NOT have a choice...

Old 11-27-2015, 09:16 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Exactly. I worked with power distribution utilities all over the US and Canada for 20+ years, and I never saw a location that was served by two utilities at the same time.

I checked both utility's web sites for coverage maps, but they don't have them. From their service area descriptions, it sounds like both of them serve areas of NPR, but don't overlap.

If you call one of them with the service address they'll be able to tell who who services it, even if it's not theirs.

RM
In NY State you pick a supplier. There is one utility that provides the infratstructure and handles delivery. Energy Choices - The Facts from the PSC
so there are places where you choose..I'll defer to the others locally who say that system isn't in place here in FLA though

Old 11-28-2015, 01:39 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I know the same system exist in places in Europe as one of my family members just switched power companis to save money but over here I haven't heard of it with any of the rentals we manage nor sales we were involved in.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
As mentioned, we lived in Galveston, Tx once and had about 9 electric service providers to choose from. It was a bit of a nightmare, as some used the others' lines, others had only service trucks, etc. You could go online and ck out the rates of each. Wish we had done that when we first moved in, because our electric bill at that time was extremely high. Once I understood that we could switch, I did, and the bill went down to about half of what it was. Same w/ home insurance. Shop around! We had a $4,000 a year policy (hurricanes) that got cut down to $1600 simply by rate shopping. They both offered essentially the same coverage and deductibles. And both probably would have denied a claim due to specious and deceptive policy wording.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:29 AM

769 posts, read 829,526 times
Well, people, it does not matter what Texas is doing, we don't have that here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay