Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 47,700 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for property in and around the Tampa area, and was wondering what would be a good area to buy into with a price range of around 150K. I had been looking on-line at houses and it seemed that there were plenty of houses in that range, but now I'm starting to wonder. One of the areas I was looking at was New Port Richie, but someone had mentioned that it was kind of run down. For me commuting would not be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 AM

70 posts, read 363,165 times
Default it depends

Which area in NPR are you looking at? Have you visited the area for yourself? I live here and may be able to help if you are a bit more specific.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
For $150k, it appears that you can buy a very nice mansion in Pasco/Hernando Counties. Visit this thread for details.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...g-tampa-4.html

Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 PM

10 posts, read 66,040 times
New Port Richey is a crummy neighborhood. My girlfriend owns a store at the local mall in nearby Port Richey and I want her to sell it. NPR is really working class blue collar and has quite a few run-down trailer parks. I'm sure you could find something cheap.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkano View Post
New Port Richey is a crummy neighborhood. My girlfriend owns a store at the local mall in nearby Port Richey and I want her to sell it. NPR is really working class blue collar and has quite a few run-down trailer parks. I'm sure you could find something cheap.
New Port Richey is a city.
Within NPR there are many neighborhoods. Some nice , some not so nice.

Someone making blanket statements as you have really must not know the area.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:46 PM

169 posts, read 1,069,400 times
The incorporated area of New Port Richey is much smaller than the unincorporated area. In general, it is in the SW area of Pasco County but it extends remarkably north in some areas.

Some parts of NPR were built up in the 50's and 60's and the homes are older and in some cases in flood plains. There are also newer areas like Trinity and some newer homes in the Moon Lake area.

There are parts of New Port Richey that are neglected and sad but there are million dollar homes there too... but we're really not helping you find what you're looking for so I'll switch to detailed facts in an effort to direct you.

Value priced homes in Pasco County right now are selling for between $70 and $90 per foot. You should surely be able to find something that appeals to you and is affordable now more than ever before. I am also going to suggest that you consider the Wesley Chapel and Land O Lakes areas where inexperienced investors bought up builder inventory in 2005 and 2006 and are slowly starting to take the hit to get them sold or they are giving them back to the bank (which in turn must discount the homes substantially to move them). In the Wesley Chapel and Land O Lakes area there are a number of newer homes in this situation.

You should be able to find a 2000 sq.ft. 3/2/2 for $150K that's newer and in remarkable condition for the money.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and welcome to the area.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
The South East area of New Port Richey is pretty nice, that is about it. Look around Trinity.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:13 AM

70 posts, read 363,165 times
I believe that the OP was asking about New Port Richey, not Port Richey (big difference imo) Some areas of NPR are indeed run down, but many areas are nice and beginning to be built up nicely. I would look in the SE area around Trinity or in areas east of Little Road if you are looking for something newer, but you can find established neighborhoods in many areas of town. I live by the river, close to downtown and really enjoy it and it's proximity to several restaurants, bars etc in downtown (which is hopefully becoming revitalized) There are a few not so great streets, but you can find that in any place you look. I suggest you look for yourself to see if any of these areas meet your needs.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
I believe that the OP was asking about New Port Richey, not Port Richey (big difference imo) Some areas of NPR are indeed run down, but many areas are nice and beginning to be built up nicely. I would look in the SE area around Trinity or in areas east of Little Road if you are looking for something newer, but you can find established neighborhoods in many areas of town. I live by the river, close to downtown and really enjoy it and it's proximity to several restaurants, bars etc in downtown (which is hopefully becoming revitalized) There are a few not so great streets, but you can find that in any place you look. I suggest you look for yourself to see if any of these areas meet your needs.
Keep in mind that 98% of people asking for information about Port Richey or New Port Richey could not tell you where one ends and the other begins.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I was in the New Port Richey area twice over this past weekend and several other posters are spot on. There are some really nice areas, and some not so nice areas. We did find some really great prices.

Though you didn't say so, if you're looking for a long term investment you should be able to find something priced right. If you're expecting to buy low and sell quickly, please re-think your strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay