Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:10 AM

769 posts, read 830,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Why don't you be a doll and post some of those apartments that are both:

A) Within 40 minutes of their school and
B) only $400.

Don't worry, I'll be waiting.
I dont think one exists anywhere in our area that is, but if one does, it's in a ****ty part of town, that was my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:57 AM

201 posts, read 237,825 times
Gannon ... I forgot about that one ... they sure make it difficult to find their FL address. Even Uncle Google had a hard time bringing it up ... kept showing the Erie, PA one.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:02 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Gannon has on campus housing...double occupancy about $2900 for 9 months...seems doable...

Old 12-15-2015, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
can't really get much for $400 - I'd stick with the Apollo Beach area and commute to the school at Sun City Center.....But 40 mins can really get you down to Sarasota or over the ST Pete. But again, $400 isn't much even if you shared a house 3-4 ways....not sure what "attractions" you're talking about bars, concerts, sports are up in Tampa......in Apollo Beach you're about 20-30 mins away from those things. Brandon is about 20 mins from your school....might look there for a roommate.

Thanks for the post. I clearly didn't quite clarify my situation good enough, as you can see from the comments from cubfan.

So let me restructure. I will be moving down with my girlfriend and 2 friends. There are plenty of town homes/ apartments/ etc., that are 3 bedrooms for right around $1500-$2300 ($400-$500 a per person) price range per month. These range from anywhere from Palmetto up to Apollo Beach, that I have found. They look like they are decent homes and such, again not looking to permanently move, just rent for a few years.

I have heard that these areas are very rural, vacant, run down, and there is not much to do, which is why safety was a concern.

But forget all that, I will simplify my question by asking if these suburbs (Ruskin, Apollo beach, Palmetto) are good places to live.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Consider a roomate?? You could still do a one bedroom...with one crashing on couch(pay less rent)...it's not ideal but it's not forever either...
Sorry, I didn't clarify on my post, my bad. I already have 3 other roommates. One being my girlfriend, so we will be looking for a 3 bedroom town home or apartment. Each of us looking to spend around $400-$500, and there are plenty of options from Palmetto up to Apollo Beach that rent for about $1500-$2300 a month. I've just heard sketchy things about some of these towns. Such as the phrase "palmghetto" but I'm from St. Cloud which is nothing short of crime infested, sketchy, and run down itself.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi0901 View Post
Thanks for the post. I clearly didn't quite clarify my situation good enough, as you can see from the comments from cubfan.

So let me restructure. I will be moving down with my girlfriend and 2 friends. There are plenty of town homes/ apartments/ etc., that are 3 bedrooms for right around $1500-$2300 ($400-$500 a per person) price range per month. These range from anywhere from Palmetto up to Apollo Beach, that I have found. They look like they are decent homes and such, again not looking to permanently move, just rent for a few years.

I have heard that these areas are very rural, vacant, run down, and there is not much to do, which is why safety was a concern.

But forget all that, I will simplify my question by asking if these suburbs (Ruskin, Apollo beach, Palmetto) are good places to live.

Thanks.
I'd live in nearby Brandon. More to do. 20-30 min commute. There are decent subdivisions in Parrish, Palmetto near the outer mall but can't say there's much to do down there. Probably 20-30 min commute to school. The entire region south of Tampa is suburbia really.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 AM

201 posts, read 237,825 times
Check the Fish Hawk area also. This is a fairly widespread area with smaller communities all with Fish Hawk as part of their name .. e.g. Fish Hawk Trails, Fish Hawk Ranch, Fish Hawk Preserve, etc.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:18 AM

170 posts, read 233,957 times
If you're in the market for an apartment try Crosstown Walk apts...I see rents avg $1000-1700 per month. It's close to the Selmon Expwy and I-75. If not look around the Brandon Mall area although congested there's more to do. You would be somewhat closer to school, and getting downtown wouldn't be too bad. Also if you ever wanted to hit the beaches quick ride on Expwy to Gandy wouldn't be as atrocious as the Skyway.

Good Luck!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:21 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi0901 View Post

Thanks.
There isnt a lot of violent crime int he south shore area, there are pockets that look run down as you mentioned, I wouldnt think dangerous is the right word but rather poor, Apollo beach is certainly neither of those things, parts of Ruskin yes, parts of Palmetto also, again pockets and it would very obvious to you if you drive around that area. The deal is that area is historically rural, which translates to cheaper land so whenever we have a real estate boom developments go up in that area, people buy in then the inevitable downturn comes with foreclosures, and vacancies, right now where are in the middle (or end) of an upturn so there is a lot of new construction, new shopping areas.
I am assuming you are a college age kid so i am going to give you some unsolicited advise, where ever you end up in the South Shore area sign a short lease, you will probably get bored of that area pretty quick and assuming your 2 friends are not going to the same school therefore dont really have a reason to live out in the boonies you might end up looking for new roommates, there are a lot of habitats for lack of a better term in the tampa area, a lot of markedly different areas, its probably going to take you a couple of months before you figure out where you want to be at.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
If you're in the market for an apartment try Crosstown Walk apts...I see rents avg $1000-1700 per month. It's close to the Selmon Expwy and I-75. If not look around the Brandon Mall area although congested there's more to do. You would be somewhat closer to school, and getting downtown wouldn't be too bad. Also if you ever wanted to hit the beaches quick ride on Expwy to Gandy wouldn't be as atrocious as the Skyway.

Good Luck!
If I'm going to pay $1000+ a month, you can bet I'm going to live in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay