U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 23,468 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just returned from spending six weeks in St. Petersburg. We love the urban setting and all of the things there are to do. We are strongly considering relocating to the area. The apartment we rented was in Euclid-St. Paul. We saw a lot of property in the surrounding area that appealed to us.

At this point we would like to have input with regard to the areas advantages and disadvantages. We know the cost of living is higher due to much higher housing costs than the midwest. Other than that the cost appeared to be similar.

We retired early - mid 50's - so are still very active. We enjoy trails, kayaking, theater, museums, etc. We also will probably want to get parttime jobs to help us meet people in the area. Suggestions as to that type of employment would be helpful. Currently I substitute teach and my husband drives a handicap van two days a week. Totally different occupations than in our stressful full time work life.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give us.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 58,886 times
Thumbs up 37th street South

Look in the 33711 zip code on realtor.com,lots of cheap $ condos with people such as you.Close to the water and pier.Maximo area

Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM

849 posts, read 3,281,003 times
Default good possibilities

substitute teachers make $70/day just go to Pinellas County Schools
That's the official county school board web site. My husband is a sub and he could work 3 schools a day if we could clone him Have your husband check with some of the retirement communities also the Boley Center which is for disabled folks. There's a large Jewish retirement center with a day care center on 58th st. N. It's called Menorah Manor. They may need drivers. You'll love St. Pete. I don't think you want to try for other jobs tho. the market isn't so great and quite honestly there seems to be some ageism here. This is a great place if you don't have to earn a full time living. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities and that might be a better way to meet people with similar interests. For hiking, biking etc. you'll love the Pinellas trail. Kayaking is great out at Fort De Soto park which is one of America's best beaches. There's all sorts of outdoor activity there and it's free. Culturally you won't find better in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine retiree View Post
My husband and I just returned from spending six weeks in St. Petersburg. We love the urban setting and all of the things there are to do. We are strongly considering relocating to the area. The apartment we rented was in Euclid-St. Paul. We saw a lot of property in the surrounding area that appealed to us.

At this point we would like to have input with regard to the areas advantages and disadvantages. We know the cost of living is higher due to much higher housing costs than the midwest. Other than that the cost appeared to be similar.

We retired early - mid 50's - so are still very active. We enjoy trails, kayaking, theater, museums, etc. We also will probably want to get parttime jobs to help us meet people in the area. Suggestions as to that type of employment would be helpful. Currently I substitute teach and my husband drives a handicap van two days a week. Totally different occupations than in our stressful full time work life.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give us.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM

One more question for you? How do you like the summers? The last time we were in Florida in the summer our daughter was six. She is now 26 :-) We were visiting Disney World. It was very hot and humid there, but it may have been the fact that we were on pavement all day long. Our summers here are usually in the 80's with 10 or so days in the 90's. It also gets very humid!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 PM

849 posts, read 3,281,003 times
Wink the area nezr the beaches

is at least 10º cooler than the interior any given day even now. we also get the breezes off the Gulf. Tampa even is warmer than St. Pete but I'd say 90's are common in late July - Aug. And we do have this new fangled invention called air conditioning.LOL

Quote:
One more question for you? How do you like the summers? The last time we were in Florida in the summer our daughter was six. She is now 26 :-) We were visiting Disney World. It was very hot and humid there, but it may have been the fact that we were on pavement all day long. Our summers here are usually in the 80's with 10 or so days in the 90's. It also gets very humid!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM

Thanks for your info! My husband was ready to buy a house on the spot. I had to remind him we needed to sell our home first! I think we are about 2/3 of the way to making the decision to move. I'll check out the school site. Right now I sub in two school corporations and at a parochial school so I understand about cloning your husband!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 AM

367 posts, read 1,573,366 times
Sounds to me like you have made up your minds!
You will love St Petersburg, there is so much going on for most ages. I love the fact that you can walk downtown at night and stroll around looking for a place to eat, and you have choices! I like the farmers market, the weekend outdoor events, first fridays, and being able to walk along the waterfront parks.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM

20 posts, read 62,389 times
Quote:
The summers are hot and humid--very humid! It also storms almost every day in the summer. If you like outdoor activities, it's best to do them early in the day as the afternoons are unpredictable.

St Pete is a good place to retire. Honestly! Stay away from Tampa, it's a really awful place. The farther you are from the Gulf the hotter and stormier it will be. However unless you are right on the water, don't count on any breeze, to cool things off. Florida is the Air Conditioning capitol of the world, as well as the lightning capitol.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 32,692 times
I just moved into a retirement condo in the Gateway area of St. Pete in a 55 and over complex. Good price as it is a buyers market currently. I also am a Baby Boomer and am a retired R.N.
I still work some when I want though. Good to retire before you get too old to enjoy it. I am a misplaced Texan and have lived in this area 20 years now.Military widow.
But St. Petei is mostly retirees and much to do around here. Welcome to paradise.....Sar

Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM

367 posts, read 1,573,366 times
There are some wonderful homes all over Pinellas, not just st pete. If you like beaches, maybe a townhome condo near to there would work, then you can drive over to St Pete. Property taxes are a little lower in Seminole and unincorporated largo, if you like golf there are some new townhomes on a golf course in that area. There are so many choices for you and it doesn't have to be over 55 to be fun and safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or