Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,523,163 times

Advertisements

As it was probably only a matter of time before this unfortunate fellow joined the ever-lengthening list of black criminal shot by fellow black criminal I say the home-owner did everyone a favour.
And full marks to the Sheriff for backing the homeowner.All too often it's the bad guys whose " rights " are violated.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:04 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,532,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
When owning a gun makes you between 6-8x more likely to get shot, I'd say not owning one is more productive to "defending yourself." For every one story of someone killing a "bad guy," there's hundreds of others that no one's talking about.
I think the stats say 4-5 times more likely and it may be that guns give a sense of empowerment that causes "some" carriers to overreact in tense situations, or encourages them to visit neighbourhoods they probably shouldn’t.
(lack of common sense).

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by KPB; 01-02-2016 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 11:57 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,933,613 times
I absolutely believe in people's rights to own hunting rifles, trap shootings guns et al, and open carry hand guns...once they have cleared a national background check, cleared the waiting period and have registered the gun to them.

With that said, I do not like the idea of a gun in MY household, as I see too many things going wrong moreso than I see the benfits. Shoot someone in any one of many protected classes, they or their family lawyer up and then it costs us big time or the house gets broken into and someone steals the guns and now they are on the street, plus I just do not know if I could kill anyone. I think I would just prefer to run......or crawl in my case. I think I would opt for a safe room, IF I was to do anything.

To each their own, but simple common sense rules should not get people's panties in a wad. Compromise should be obtainable, once people start listening to what others have to say.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:13 AM

325 posts, read 443,561 times
If you can 'Out Crawl' a Tweaker with a gun go for it! Additionally, you should read Florida Law before making statements!
[SIZE=-1]776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use or threatened use of force.—(1) A person who uses or threatens to use force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in such conduct and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use or threatened use of such force by the person, personal representative, or heirs of the person against whom the force was used or threatened, unless the person against whom force was used or threatened is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using or threatening to use force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
[/SIZE]

Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,597,413 times
People defending themselves from bad people looking to do harm does not fit the mainstream medias anti-gun agenda. Those stories, if even reported, will be buried in the back pages.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,178,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
Cool....so just do not attempt to protect yourself and your family. When some thug kicks your door in and starts shooting at you just call the Police! They will be there in time to help the Coroner write the Report
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:26 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,105,619 times
Every individual should be free to decide wether they want or need guns in their homes to protect themselves. Certainly for every report of an intruder being deterred by a homeowner with guns others can post of a tragedy in which a harmless individual, usually a family member is killed by those guns.

I don't think anyone should demonize those that choose to arm themselves and there shouldn't be ridicule for those that choose otherwise.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I absolutely believe in people's rights to own hunting rifles, trap shootings guns et al, and open carry hand guns...once they have cleared a national background check, cleared the waiting period and have registered the gun to them.

With that said, I do not like the idea of a gun in MY household, as I see too many things going wrong moreso than I see the benfits. Shoot someone in any one of many protected classes, they or their family lawyer up and then it costs us big time or the house gets broken into and someone steals the guns and now they are on the street, plus I just do not know if I could kill anyone. I think I would just prefer to run......or crawl in my case. I think I would opt for a safe room, IF I was to do anything.

To each their own, but simple common sense rules should not get people's panties in a wad. Compromise should be obtainable, once people start listening to what others have to say.
To each his own. Someone committing a home invasion, and there is usually more than one, would have no qualms in ending your life or leave indelible memories of the event on you.

Years ago I was at a social event and a NY PD detective was there. Conversation went towards home invasions and burglars breaking in while you are home. The most poignant statement he made was "shoot them, shoot to kill them". His point for that statement is a dead criminal cannot file charges against you.

Home invaders commit cruel acts against their victims. I would rather live with the memory of pulling the trigger over watching as my wife is raped or having a criminal take my life.

Criminals dont compromise.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I think the stats say 4-5 times more likely and it may be that guns give a sense of empowerment that causes "some" carriers to overreact in tense situations, or encourages them to visit neighbourhoods they probably shouldn’t.
(lack of common sense).

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson

I would rather have the sense of empowerment on my side rather than allowing an attacker have it on his.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Every individual should be free to decide wether they want or need guns in their homes to protect themselves. Certainly for every report of an intruder being deterred by a homeowner with guns others can post of a tragedy in which a harmless individual, usually a family member is killed by those guns.

I don't think anyone should demonize those that choose to arm themselves and there shouldn't be ridicule for those that choose otherwise.
Do a Google search for "homeowner shoots intruder" and do one on "homeowner shoots family member by mistake". You will learn how often each event happens. The fact of the matter is that the latter is rare.

It's simply a matter of you and your family living and/or not suffering harm versus stopping a criminal who's intent is to cause suffering and/or death of victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay