Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Then why would you make this claim:

Either prove it, or hush.
Its easy to prove. All anyone has to do is to read the news. I think the factual events regarding home invasions makes it very clear as to the resulting violence in a home invasion.

While home invasion accounts for a very small percentage of violent crime in this country my being able to defend myself and family from it is reason enough to have a firearm in my home. I will do my best to kill you before you inflict pain and suffering to me or my family.

Hey, if you dont mind having someone kick in your door and attack you by all means, go for it.

I mind.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:06 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,818,606 times
It seems that a big misconception among the antis is that we who choose to arm ourselves are just itching to unload on someone. It's quite the contrary. If (God forbid) someone breaks into my house, I hope that the sound of me racking a shotgun is enough to cause them to GTFO. But, if it's not I'm prepared for that too. It's all about being able to safeguard my family.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
I'm in favor of stricter gun laws and I might buy a gun. I've thought about it several times, but right now I'm in an area where I feel very safe all the time.

Why do so many of you feel these are mutually exclusive? Many gun owners are in favor of gun control.

A gun is for self protection (or hunting, target practice) and imposing stricter law only to make it a little harder for criminals, drug users and the mentally ill to buy one. Of course it won't stop bad people from buying guns illegally. However, a longer waiting period and checking someone's criminal record, controlling Internet purchases or sales at gun shows, might keep a James Holmes or a Jared Loughner from committing a mass murder.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
It seems that a big misconception among the antis is that we who choose to arm ourselves are just itching to unload on someone. It's quite the contrary. If (God forbid) someone breaks into my house, I hope that the sound of me racking a shotgun is enough to cause them to GTFO. But, if it's not I'm prepared for that too. It's all about being able to safeguard my family.
Agreed. The ability to protect is what matters,.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm in favor of stricter gun laws and I might buy a gun. I've thought about it several times, but right now I'm in an area where I feel very safe all the time.

Why do so many of you feel these are mutually exclusive? Many gun owners are in favor of gun control.

A gun is for self protection (or hunting, target practice) and imposing stricter law only to make it a little harder for criminals, drug users and the mentally ill to buy one. Of course it won't stop bad people from buying guns illegally. However, a longer waiting period and checking someone's criminal record, controlling Internet purchases or sales at gun shows, might keep a James Holmes or a Jared Loughner from committing a mass murder.
Criminals will NEVER have a problem in obtaining a firearm regardless of the laws.

I do believe in background checks for legal purchases. I also believe that sales of firearms at flea markets and gun shows be outlawed. Neither of those measures will stop someone who does legally purchase firearms or has someone purchase them on their behalf will affect criminal use of firearms.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
This is why even though "I" am not comfortable with guns in my house, I totally support the right of others to have them. If the events happened that you describe, I may very well change my mind about my own situation. I don't know and I hope I never have to face that situation.
I also hope the situation never comes but the world is what it is. As a Boy Scout I learned the motto
"Be Prepared". That is why I keep a jack and a spare tire in the vehicles. That is why we have a "hurricane kit". That is why I keep band-aids in the medicine cabinet.

For me and most firearm owners it is being prepared. We go up to the range every 2 or 3 months so we know what it feels like and ake sure we can put holes in the paper target. Besides those trips to the range the firearms dont get touched but are in easy reach should the need arise. I have a carry permit but only use it if we travel because it makes motel stays a little safer.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Sorry, but I have much better things to do with my life than spend it shooting $hit! Someone must be really bored nowadays to spend their time shooting guns! Or be really barbaric as a person. I enjoy peace. Clearly, I am in minority.
I, nor anyone I know, spends their lives at a shooting range and I am not into hunting. We do go to the range as needed to remain skilled in the event we ever need to deploy a weapon.

Yes - there are a lot of people who make shooting a hobby or are active hunters. For them pinpoint accurate shooting is required and that does take a lot of practice and investment of time.

For me, if I can put holes in the paper target at 50ft with reasonable accuracy, I'm good.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:30 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,572 times
According to this article anti-gun people suffer a mental condition.
Common Sense

I believe its true but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:44 PM

107 posts, read 89,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
When owning a gun makes you between 6-8x more likely to get shot, I'd say not owning one is more productive to "defending yourself." For every one story of someone killing a "bad guy," there's hundreds of others that no one's talking about.
Your choice pal, as long as you keep your mitts off my rights.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:47 PM

107 posts, read 89,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I think the stats say 4-5 times more likely and it may be that guns give a sense of empowerment that causes "some" carriers to overreact in tense situations, or encourages them to visit neighbourhoods they probably shouldn’t.
(lack of common sense).

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Yeah when I carry I get a overpowering urge to go into the hood and strut around......are you serious? Tell me you were kidding with that comment. SMH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay