Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
So what, exactly, are you getting at? The cell phone wasn't thrown? Or the cell phone was thrown at Reeves but he deserved it?

You quoted my post about the cell phone and went right back to the whole popcorn thing, so I'm lost regarding what your whole point is here.
I quoted your post because you said you watched the video many times i just thought i'd add the fact that the house lights were still on and was questioning what precipitated the altercation in the first place,
But now that you mention the phone, i dont see a phone being thrown at Reeves and you arent sure you did either but you go on to base several facts on what you might have seen,while Reeves may have said a phone was thrown at him and maybe it was its not evident in that video clip that it was thrown or that it hit him also stating he thought the phone was a punch at the time is conjecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 AM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,517 posts, read 1,507,059 times
The popcorn and cellphone (if it even was a cellphone) may not of even been thrown directly at Reeve's. IMO Oulson may of not even wanted to throw them directly at the old man but maybe he wanted to throw the bag of popcorn directly near Reeve's, maybe very close to his head, like at the back of the seat next to Reeves head. Its hard to tell in the video if it hit Reeve's "directly" in the head.

Keep in mind the CCTV video from the theater shooting posted on youtube is a copy of the defense's video which some people say has been edited if you compare to the original video.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 AM

699 posts, read 606,225 times
I don't see why the cellphone needs to be thrown - though watching the video I see the light arching down - and according to police reports the cellphone was found at Reeves feet. It's probably that Oulson was acting so agitated he lost control of his phone.

Which is a point - Oulson was out of control, Reeves was afraid of being hurt. It doesn't matter if Oulson touched Reeves or not (or threw popcorn or a phone or not) it just matters that Oulson was acting in a threatening manner to Reeves, and Reeves dispatched.

SYG.

Last edited by miami_winter_breeze; 01-19-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times
Reeves is a formal Tampa Police Captain. How he would possible be afraid of being hurt in the situation he created himself??? Are we dreaming here now? Wake up people and let's use common sense. Reeves was a bully who created the conflict on the first place. It was clear as a day "my way or no way" situation on the Reeves part.

It's ironic Reeves used his cell phone inside the theater to get in touch with his son (also in Tampa police) who was running late. I guess it was OK

Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Reeves is a formal Tampa Police Captain. How he would possible be afraid of being hurt in the situation he created himself??? Are we dreaming here now? Wake up people and let's use common sense. Reeves was a bully who created the conflict on the first place. It was clear as a day "my way or no way" situation on the Reeves part.
How is Reeves the bully when Oulson lunged at him, snatched his popcorn and threw it back at him? That sounds like bullying to me.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:01 AM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,517 posts, read 1,507,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post

It's ironic Reeves used his cell phone inside the theater to get in touch with his son (also in Tampa police) who was running late. I guess it was OK
Agree w/ everything you just said 100%.

He was a seasoned combat/swat LEO. He knows by his past experience when a situation is about to escalate enough to cause great physical harm. And he knows he messed up that's why he sat back in his seat and said "I can't believe what I've just done" according to an eyewitness who happened to be an off duty deputy.

Reeves and his wife attended that theater every Wed. He felt it was his own, like his living room and couldn't stand the fact that someone wouldn't obey him in it.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
How is Reeves the bully when Oulson lunged at him, snatched his popcorn and threw it back at him? That sounds like bullying to me.
Obviously Oulsen didnt just all of a sudden decide he was going to have an altercation with the guy behind him he was provoked into responding to Reeves illogical demands about his cell phone use, the language used was such that it eventually provoked Oulsen to grab Reeves popcorn and throw it at him,for that act Reeves our lifelong cop thought terminating Oulsens life was the appropriate response.
IMO one can get quite bold and abrasive in an argument with the knowledge you have a gun in your pocket especially if you are looking for that argument.
Florida theater shooting: Couple had tense run-in with Curtis Reeves - CNN.com

Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You are kidding, right?

Well, lets try one more time...

Oulson was in the movie theater checking his phone BEFORE movie started. Reeves demanded FEW times to stop using the phone. Reeves went and reported Oulson to management, came back and started making comments to Oulson AGAIN WITHOUT WAITING for management to come and handle it (I know I know, Reeves is an old man who can barely walk because of this poooooor health). Reeves said something to Oulson that made him stend up and turn around and act like he did (that's what you do when someone constantly bullying you and you are tired of this crap)....
If it's not bullying, what is it than?

Reeves chose to sit and bully and then to kill in stead of changing the seat. Yes, it was THAT simple.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
What comes first, chicken or egg?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Obviously Oulsen didnt just all of a sudden decide he was going to have an altercation with the guy behind him he was provoked into responding to Reeves illogical demands about his cell phone use, the language used was such that it eventually provoked Oulsen to grab Reeves popcorn and throw it at him,for that act Reeves our lifelong cop thought terminating Oulsens life was the appropriate response.
IMO one can get quite bold and abrasive in an argument with the knowledge you have a gun in your pocket especially if you are looking for that argument.
Florida theater shooting: Couple had tense run-in with Curtis Reeves - CNN.com
Yes, Reeves complained numerous times before supposedly and you know what? None of those led to a physical altercation. Oulson chose to make it one, unlike the others Reeves complained about.

I'm sorry but if Oulson doesn't like Reeves' complaints - he can move, and then complain to management. He has no right to respond violently as he so found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay