Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 09:13 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

Another stuck on the media feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You really are attempting to build the Himalayas out of an ant hill.

Throwing popcorn at some one is hardly an offense. An insult perhaps...but no way to escalate to anything serious. There is no indication that the phone was ever thrown or that Reeves was hit by it.

So we got an old dude who was reasonably agressive and got insulted a bit and responding with fatal force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 AM

I agree, it was an unfortunate meeting. More than being a person so ridiculous to start throwing popcorn, but a person who replies to a simple and reasonable request in the manner Oulson responded which led Reeves to seek the assistance of theater management.

Ive never seen a "bully', to use one of the perceptions of Reeves' character, go to seek assistance in a matter as a 'bully', 'hot head', person 'looking for trouble', et al, would certainly take care of the situation on his own. So, Oulson started the situation and apparently was ready to take the situation to a level that satisfied his anger.

Posters here are stating there wasnt a cell phone thrown at Reeves simply because the prosecution alleges so. I also see the consensus that a cell phone did not hit Reeves because Reeves had no visible evidence on his face. However they ignore the fact that Reeves stated on day one that the thrown cell phone hit and knocked his eyeglasses askew. Furthermore, no one here gives any explanation how Oulson's cell phone wound up at Reeves' feet.

People are blind to facts while they embrace the opinion of the media as gospel.

One more thing. The state’s expert witnesses planned to testify that the light was actually a reflection from Reeves’ shoe. What caused a reflection in a darkened space? Why doesnt the reflection show up
anywhere else in the video but only at the exact moment the phone was allegedly thrown?

It continues to amaze me that anyone cannot see what actually took place as shown in the surveillance video but are ready and willing to consider whatever the prosecution pulls out of their hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm not saying that he had to die, as it is ridiculous that someone goes to the movies and ends up dead.

But having said that, what type of person is so ridiculous to start throwing popcorn. That take a special kind of person to act like that.

Both were unlucky to meet each other.

Throwing popcorn may sounds innocent but I would be scared if someone reacts like that as what else will come and the guy wasn't a small guy.

I don't think the witnesses can be too reliable as they may have looked away for just a second and not seen it all.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM

So it is your belief that being "approached" gives you the right to commit felony assault on that person?

I recall a moment when my wife and I were heading to our hotel one night in Memphis. A homeless man continually harassed us for two blocks. Under your thinking I should have been allowed to turn around and pound the guy into the sidewalk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Throwing popcorn didn't happen all of the sudden. Killer was provocative - he approached victim 3 times prior to popcorn and his attitude was far from being friendly. Old fart started this cr@p, got to the point of throwing popcorn (one of the witness on the stand testified killer in fact told victim to throw popcorn at him provoking this action) and then shot the man. He must go to jail. He is a killer.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So it is your belief that being "approached" gives you the right to commit felony assault on that person?

I recall a moment when my wife and I were heading to our hotel one night in Memphis. A homeless man continually harassed us for two blocks. Under your thinking I should have been allowed to turn around and pound the guy into the sidewalk?
That's exactly what Reeves did. If you turned around and killed the man, do you think you should be allowed freedom?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
You should def kill that homeless man, no question asked..... the only reason why you didn't is because you had no gun... without gun you are a p@ssy

Old 03-05-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's exactly what Reeves did. If you turned around and killed the man, do you think you should be allowed freedom?
The man never touched me or my wife. He did not take possession of any of my property.

Certainly, under those conditions if I laid a hand on him I would easily be prosecuted and jailed.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
You should def kill that homeless man, no question asked..... the only reason why you didn't is because you had no gun... without gun you are a p@ssy

Actually I was carrying a .380 in a pants-waist holster. TN and FL have a concealed weapon reciprocity agreement. I brought my firearm on that trip because we were visiting and staying right near Beale Street
on Union Ave which is downtown.

However, those who are familiar with the use of deadly force, there is a time to use it and thankfully that time rarely comes to be.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:36 PM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
The nail in the coffin for Reeves is when he came back from the lobby and needled him by saying "oh you finally turned off your phone." That should do it IMO.

It was over and he escalated the situation with his snarky remark. Scared for his life - BS.

That and the multiple witnesses that heard him say "throw popcorn at me, will ya" then bang!
That clearly implies that it was an act of retaliation.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Where did you get that quote?

The testimony from Reeves was:

"As I went past, as a goodwill gesture, I told him, 'I see you're not on your phone. Sorry I involved theater management' " "It may not have been those exact words."

It appears your quote is a product of your mind or something the media came up with.

Even if Reeves sunk low and said 'Hey you,you are a moron and your wife bangs the mailman'
It still would not give justification for Oulson to commit a felony or two.

What Deputy Hamilton actually testified was:
"There was only a 3- to 5-second pause between the popcorn and the gunfire"

A lot can happen in 3-5 seconds.

Please grab at more straws and regurgitated comments of the media. I'll stay with on the record testimony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
The nail in the coffin for Reeves is when he came back from the lobby and needled him by saying "oh you finally turned off your phone." That should do it IMO.

It was over and he escalated the situation with his snarky remark. Scared for his life - BS.

That and the multiple witnesses that heard him say "throw popcorn at me, will ya" then bang!
That clearly implies that it was an act of retaliation.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:13 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I encountered someone the other day who actually believed that instead of going to the manager, Reeves left the theater to retrieve his gun from his car. This person didn't want to hear that the place was full of cameras (like the one that captured the incident for example) and that Reeves' whereabouts that day are completely accounted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay