Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,907 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I couldn't find any info about this so I thought I would see if anyone has had any experience in the area. My neighbor came by to inform us that they would be adding a pool, they spoke to my husband (this is the first time we have met them and they have been there 1.5 years) they said that the pool company would be going in between our homes for construction. They never asked for permission but did say if we have any questions to come by and they will contact the contractor, construction is going to begin in about a month, and the contractor has said they will fix any damage to the yard. Here’s where my problem begins. I have never had a contractor do 100% of what they say they will. There is no way they can build the pool without damaging our yard.

My home is currently for sale and I am very concerned that I will be in a 6 month court battle to restore my yard and my home will not sell. Does anyone know what my rights are in this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
are you part of an HOA? If so, does the HOA have any rules about getting approval on these sorts of projects?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:58 PM

90 posts, read 122,390 times
Sounds like you're a little ticked and rightly so, that your neighbor hasn't bothered to say hello before this. But should that make you deny this guy a pool? I recently had a pool put in my back yard and needed a fence taken down between houses in order to get the proper equipment in there. I told the neighbor I would replace the old fence out of my own pocket. I installed the new fence myself. All went well. I don't think it's unreasonable for your neighbor to ask permission etc for his pool. This is a fact of life in areas where property lines are tight. But, you should get a written guarantee from him or the contractor that all will be put back to normal or better. Pool companies deal with this all the time.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:23 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtguy111 View Post
Sounds like you're a little ticked and rightly so, that your neighbor hasn't bothered to say hello before this. But should that make you deny this guy a pool? I recently had a pool put in my back yard and needed a fence taken down between houses in order to get the proper equipment in there. I told the neighbor I would replace the old fence out of my own pocket. I installed the new fence myself. All went well. I don't think it's unreasonable for your neighbor to ask permission etc for his pool. This is a fact of life in areas where property lines are tight. But, you should get a written guarantee from him or the contractor that all will be put back to normal or better. Pool companies deal with this all the time.
I agree...get the agreement in writing...I had a bad experience...a neighbor asked me if he could come onto my side of property to get pallets of sod through to his backyard...of course I said...well they brought this little tractor in with all this heavy sod and it sunk down and broke a water pipe!!! Ok...he handled it...I thought...two days later a guy knocks on my door(the plumber my neighbor called) and wants 150$ because it was on my property...and my neighbor told him that I would pay!!! So I went over to my neighbor and he says my pipes weren't buried deeply enough so it wasn't his fault...Yup...I just stood there with my mouth open...and then I said Frank I was just trying to be nice...and he says well that's what nice gets ya...I paid the plumber and never spoke to the azzhat again...So moral of the story get it in writing!!!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:12 PM

107 posts, read 89,439 times
Get the contractor to put in writing that your yard will be repaired. And include that in any real estate contract. Don't make this more difficult than it has to be. He has a right to improve his property. As long as you are made whole then it's a no brainier.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:02 PM

472 posts, read 547,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I agree...get the agreement in writing...I had a bad experience...a neighbor asked me if he could come onto my side of property to get pallets of sod through to his backyard...of course I said...well they brought this little tractor in with all this heavy sod and it sunk down and broke a water pipe!!! Ok...he handled it...I thought...two days later a guy knocks on my door(the plumber my neighbor called) and wants 150$ because it was on my property...and my neighbor told him that I would pay!!! So I went over to my neighbor and he says my pipes weren't buried deeply enough so it wasn't his fault...Yup...I just stood there with my mouth open...and then I said Frank I was just trying to be nice...and he says well that's what nice gets ya...I paid the plumber and never spoke to the azzhat again...So moral of the story get it in writing!!!
Wow...just wow.

So did his grass suddenly turn yellow and all died? I mean things like that can happen.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:05 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
There's one on every block lol.
I say let them build there pool.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
Wow...just wow.

So did his grass suddenly turn yellow and all died? I mean things like that can happen.
Ha!!! No I wouldn't have the balz...but good thinking!!!

Old 01-04-2016, 07:00 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Is your house getting traffic? In other words, are you about to get into a contract? Or you are just tasting the water and no one is looking at your house. Where I am getting at is that you could ask them, say, additional month and may be you can sell and be out within 2 months? I don't see it as a big deal if someone asked me to delay my construction by a month or two while they sell. Just a thought.

In any case, not only get this in written but do make a video documentation before they start the construction, just in case they don't bring things back to where it was.

Best of luck in your sale!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:05 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Check that he is complying with the county/city set back requirements.

I have no experience, but getting them to post a bond may apply here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay