Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 PM

38 posts, read 32,579 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 22 year old male college student graduating in May. I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life, and went to college in the Midwest. I have always despised the winters here, and want to move to a warmer climate. Now is the perfect time for me to do that, as I have no obligations besides getting off to a good start regarding my career, which will be selling insurance.

First, for anybody who has moved away from a cold climate such as Chicago to warmer weather. Did it make a positive impact on your overall happiness? I love being outside, and think a place where I can play golf, outdoor basketball, etc. year round will have a huge impact on my well being. I love being active and eating healthy, and am curious about how much more active/happier you became upon moving to a warm climate.

My priorities for my new city are the following:

1. warm, somewhat nice weather year round. I am okay with it being super hot at times which I know is the case for cities such as Tampa or Austin. Nearby beaches, high quality golf, and other fun outdoor activities are a huge plus
2. a place where I will easily be able to find new friends around my age and can live in a neighborhood (Chicago-Lincoln park-esque)where I will be surrounded by young people similar to myself. I will know very few, perhaps 0 people in the new city that I move to. I am an outgoing person who has made friends rather easily, but am still concerned about meeting new people if I don't know anybody going in.
3. Fun nightlife for a 22 year old. I enjoy going out to drink, and would love a place where there is a great variety of fun bars and restaurants.
4. Nice people that will be open to welcoming new friends. I have never been to California, but have heard bad things (egotistical, conceded) about the people there (would love for people to confirm/deny this).
5. Cost of living matters but isn't huge. I am not too concerned with the economy of the city or state I am moving to. I will be selling insurance in an assigned territory and all cities offer essentially the same opportunities, it just depends on how well I form relationships.

The city which I can move to is not limited, and I will list them in the tiers which I currently have them in. First tier I am most heavily considering, second tier is below that, etc. The only city I have been to is Tampa, and I was only there for a day. I am a very open-minded person and believe I will like any of the below cities, but would love to hear insight from people within the forum. I also understand that I will need a car for my new city, and have no problem with buying a car upon moving.

First tier: Tampa, Austin, Charlotte, Phoenix

Second tier: Nashville, Los Angeles, Dallas

Third tier: Sunrise, FL....Houston, San Fran, Irvine

Based on my description, I would love to hear from people which city they see as the best fit!

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 01:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
If beaches and beach life are important in this move i'd put St Petersburg ahead of Tampa.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
I'm not in your age group, but would like Austin would be a great place to live as well as Charlotte. I don't see this area as a great party/socializing place for 20-somethings like other places I've lived (ie Seattle, Honolulu, San Antonio). The golf (have played 30+ yrs golf) can get boring, imo - FLA golf is pretty much the same. I enjoy playing courses with variety, hills, changes in elevation, forests. You might consider a place like Jacksonville - I visit there a lot --nice beaches, golf is just as good or better. Nearby GA border with travel to Georgia (Atlanta) and Georgia coast, Carolina coast which is nice, imo. I've been going to the Players Championship for the last six years - I can't get tickets to Augusta, so this is my next best thing.

You'd think FLA would be a decent place to practice your profession though - we spend a ton in home/car/property.

Last edited by BucFan; 01-17-2016 at 02:31 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 08:48 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I think somewhere in Tampa/St. Pete would suit you nicely. The downtown St. Pete area has some decent night life and young people, and St. Pete has very nice beaches, and beautiful weather. You should do very well in insurance here. If you want to be outside all year, I think you will be happy. I am an outdoor person myself, and while I know a lot of people feel it can be too hot/humid to be outdoors, it is not that way for me. I am outside riding my bike or other activities 365 days a year unless it is raining.

And there is no lack of golf here for you.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 AM

Thanks everybody for your responses, they are thoroughly appreciated. If anybody else has insight I would love to hear it

Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 AM

89 posts, read 208,180 times
At your age you are probably better off in Austin out of the cities in your tier 1 list. Much younger and more vibrant social scene. I love Tampa as an adult but I'm not sure that I would have enjoyed it as much in my post-college single years. I lived in both Nashville and San Francisco in my early to mid 20's and would recommend either in a second, both amazing and unique cities (SF is very expensive.) Good luck.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeliz View Post
At your age you are probably better off in Austin out of the cities in your tier 1 list. Much younger and more vibrant social scene. I love Tampa as an adult but I'm not sure that I would have enjoyed it as much in my post-college single years. I lived in both Nashville and San Francisco in my early to mid 20's and would recommend either in a second, both amazing and unique cities (SF is very expensive.) Good luck.
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I'm not sure San Fran is right for me when considering cost of living and a lack of hot weather at any point during the year. Seems like Austin might be the best fit though, and I wouldn't mind Nashville either.

Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM

89 posts, read 208,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemm View Post
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I'm not sure San Fran is right for me when considering cost of living and a lack of hot weather at any point during the year. Seems like Austin might be the best fit though, and I wouldn't mind Nashville either.

Thanks again!

One thing about SF weather--the Bay Area has very diverse micro climates. While it's true it may be foggy and 60 degrees in part of the city, you can travel a matter of blocks and the temperature could be 10 degrees higher. It's even more extreme in the East Bay (Oakland) which has a near-perfect CA climate most of the year. One of the best things about SF is that you are within a short drive of virtually any outdoor activity you might want. It's by far one of the most amazing and unique cities in the country, if not world, in my opinion. However, it's also not everyone's cup of tea (especially with the ridiculous cost of living.)

Old 01-26-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
One thing about SF weather--the Bay Area has very diverse micro climates. While it's true it may be foggy and 60 degrees in part of the city, you can travel a matter of blocks and the temperature could be 10 degrees higher. It's even more extreme in the East Bay (Oakland) which has a near-perfect CA climate most of the year. One of the best things about SF is that you are within a short drive of virtually any outdoor activity you might want. It's by far one of the most amazing and unique cities in the country, if not world, in my opinion. However, it's also not everyone's cup of tea (especially with the ridiculous cost of living.)
That is quality information, I really appreciate it. The job I want is mid 30K per year to start, so I am not sure I would be able to afford living in a city like San Fran. However, the job is primarily commission based and if I work hard enough I can make much more than that 30K 1-3 years down the road, so I would be okay down the road, but I'm still not sure if I'm willing to pay for such a high cost of living.

I appreciate your insight once again!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:50 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
I lived in San Bruno, South San Francisco and Montara (just north of Half Moon Bay).

The microclimate thing is so true - go a few blocks in some instances and there's a major change in the temperature. I was never bored there, and loved every minute of the time I lived there.

I loved living in Montara, as I had a house that was right across the PCH from the beach. My commute into South San Francisco where my office was was pretty easy, too.

However, the cost of living was astronomical, and the only way I afforded it was because my employer paid for my housing at the time. That being said, if you're young and single, now is the time to do it while you don't have the responsibility of a family or significant other. Once you get more responsibility for others going, it's not realistic from a quality of life thing.

Good luck!

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay