Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 11:00 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

I am planning on experiencing the event for myself this year, and looking for some last minute suggestions.

1. Parking: Not sure whether to park over by Downtown (perhaps Ybor to save some $?) or if there would be places to park at the start of the parade along Bayshore, or if somewhere in the center (Hyde Park Village) would be optimal. I'm planning on watching the full parade, in addition to the pirate docking. Where is it available, and where are (usually) the best deals?

2. Driving: Just how bad is traffic? And what would be the best way to avoid it? Would it be worthwhile to come up across 275 through St. Pete, and add 8 or so extra minutes of driving on either end, and avoid actually driving into DT or Ybor at all? When would I need to get there/leave in order to avoid the all out rush?

3. Getting Around: I am a runner, and so I mapped out that it would be about 9 miles on foot from Ybor Garage, to Convention Center, to the end of the parade, and then back. That isn't really overdoing it, especially considering the weather will be fantastic and I'll be doing so over the course of the day. However, I also thought about saving time by bringing a bike, but I figured there would be certain sections so crowded with people that wouldn't be an option. If I could somehow park somewhat inexpensively near the start and walk/jog over, that would certainly save a few miles, and it would save me quite a bit of time on the way out, but I wasn't sure if that was something one could do.

4. Viewing: I'm relatively tall (6"2) so seeing over people wouldn't be too much of a problem, however, I was just wondering if there were any other strategies people who consistently come to watch the parade take into account.

5. Eating/Drinking: Because this is what the whole thing is actually all about anyways. Will there be food/drink vendors along the parade route? If so, how is that food, and how is it priced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 03:01 AM

Bump. Anyone been or plan on going, and have any ideas?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:28 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Its a lot of fun. If you've never been expect an experience you won't forget. Just plan on dealing w/ a lot of traffic going to and from. There's really no way around it.

As far as a bike, it'll be hard to ride around the parade route do to so many people. When my daughter was little I'd pull her in a little red wagon and it was hard to do in some places due to the crowd. But if its not an expensive bike you could lock it to a tree or sign post a block away from the parade route but I'd be worried it still might not be there when you get back. There is A LOT of drunk people.

Its been a few years since I've gone but use to find parking at some of the businesses that are closed on Sat. around Platt and Hyde Park Blvd. You'll find side street parking around that general area as well.

There's food and beer vendors all along the parade route. ( no coolers allowed this year).

I always had fun at Gasparilla but it is a mad house.

I'm same height as you and had no problem viewing parade anywhere.

Have fun and be safe !

Old 01-29-2016, 09:18 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
Parking - your best bet will be the Fort Brooke garage downtown. $10 for all-day parking. Get there early though, it fills up fast. There's info on that and other parking options here:
Going to Gasparilla? Here are road closures and other things you need to know

I am not sure about Hyde Park.

There is very limited parking around the start of the parade. If you can get down there before the parade starts, though, it's fun to watch the Krewes in the staging area. (I'll be there with my Krewe!)

Driving - Again, getting there early is key. Traffic shouldn't be too bad before 10am. If you can go early and get brunch somewhere, you'll be in good shape.

Bikes - Probably best to stick to being on foot - the crowds will make cycling difficult and you'll probably just end up having to push your bike around.

Have fun!!!

Old 01-30-2016, 02:23 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Someday I hope to get to check things out. I always seem to be on-call every year.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 AM

Went and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Got down there at around 1015 or so at end of parade route, was able to park for 15$, though other places around there were charging $20-$25. Jogged down Bayshore and over to the Convention Center and had a food truck Cuban crepe. Unfortunately, where I picked to wait they were kicking people out of. I got the fact that we couldn't stand directly in front of patrons at the $75 brunch, but there were some places they really could of let people stay. Ultimately ended up watching from the food truck area, where view was somewhat shrouded by crowds/umbrellas, but overall it wasn't bad. For a while it wasn't exactly clear what was happening. Certainly interesting people watching and a lot of nearly missed boat accidents, but aside from that not much for a while. When the ship actually entered the Harbour though, things got entertaining. Definitely a lot of noise and hoopla from the Gasparilla and the others following it. That part was probably the highlight in terms of the fest, watching it gradually pull ashore. I'm guessing over on land somewhere, Buckhorn meets and if you're close enough you can see/hear him "surrender the key to the city". However at 75$ not sure if that is worth it.

After that, I went over to grab a couple beers (the idea of being able to just stroll around town drinking is pretty cool, I must say. Also, the expansion of the Riverwalk I hadn't yet seen, but is VERY impressive. Actually reminds me quite a bit with what Indianapolis was able to do with White River/Canal and at least for a day was also more vibrant. The parade itself was good, not at Macy's or Tournament of Roses level, nothing mind blowing, but similar to that of a good bowl game or St. Patrick's Day parade, except with Pirates. I left slightly early from end (3:45), but I'm guessing I didn't miss much, maybe 15 minutes of floats, and it allowed me to get out without any real traffic (wasn't much on way in either), and get back to Bradenton by 4:30.

Overall, a fun trip. However, I may do it differently next time. Unless there are parade floats or things I absolutely have to see, I may get down like 11, casually hit up Oxford Exchange, then work my way over to ships at 12ish, then just sorta relax downtown where it's vibrant, but not a pollution of people in the afternoon, maybe get Bavaro's and watch a little bit of the parade, then do something else down there in the evening (Lightning game or show at Straz) so that I'm down there after the rush has left. I also have never been to Guavaween, the Night Parade, or the Fireworks show for the Children's Parade and I thoroughly enjoyed the race weekend too so I will do that again sometime as well. Definitely good marketing by the city to not only draw people down there, but that many weekends in a row. I would have to think that the only equivalent festival to that in Florida would be the COF in Miami, but I'm
Not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay