U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 42,630 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Tampa. We are looking at homes in the 275K to 350K price range. We would like to live in a safe, suburban neighborhood with nearby shopping, restaurants, theaters etc. I have been looking at the Valrico/Brandon and New Tampa areas. Are these nice area

Can anyone tell me what it costs to maintain a pool and what the cost of air conditioning is per month. I don't like hot weather and I am sure I will use the AC all the time. ( I know, why move to Tampa if you don't like the heat, but the move is not my choice). I do know that taxes are high and that there are issues with homeowners insurance. Anything else I should know about Tampa in general or about Valrico, New Tampa?

Thank you for anything you natives can share about your state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:11 PM

367 posts, read 1,608,585 times
If you are retiring to Tampa, why not live where there are plenty of activities for you.
South Tampa, St Petersburg, the beaches (well nearby). You can easily get a home for $350,000 in many areas of Tampa Bay. If you keep a pool heated in winter by elec or gas rather than solar, it will be pretty expensive, depends on size of pool, how cold we get and so on. I rarely use mine, as it adds about $75 to my bill when I have it on for a few days. A/c costs depend on the house and you will need it on. My average bill is $275 a month, but I do tons of laundry with two teens and a husband in sports. My sisters condo (newer townhome) is 2300 sq ft and she pays average $200 in summer and much much less in winter. She is by the beach and it's much cooler than inland and you can catch breezes allowing the odd open window day later into the spring. I love this area, but think you might find Brandon/Valrico a bit lacking in cultural activities and have to drive some to get into Tampa to enjoy them. However, as a safe place, it's pretty decent there.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 43,100 times
You would most likely be happy in the following places:

New Tampa
Westchase area(Suburban community North West of Tampa. West of New Tampa)
Fishhawk area(Suburban community with all the trimmings, Lithia which is southeast of Brandon)
Brandon and Valrico excellent choices
Carrollwood area (South of Westchase)

A/C bill can depend on the color of your roof, trees nearby, size of windows with exposure to the sun, how high your ceiling is, insulation, construction.....(all very important to the final bill)
But you can actually call TECO electric and ask what an average electric bill is for a particular home you might be looking in to (keep in mind the current owners might like it warm though)
Here is a link and their contact info: 813-223-0800 Tampa Electric

The pool also depends on factors such as age, trees, amount of rain, how often it is used etc...the pool pump also uses electricity. But on average about $35 a month.

Ever hear the saying "a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?......look into getting a pool service for a few bucks more per month for awhile if your not sure how to take care of a pool. It can turn into a headache if not done correctly.

Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 02-07-2008 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: removed contact me message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 42,630 times
Default Thanks for the help!

Thank you for your responses to my post. They were very helpful. Seems like people in Tampa are very friendly. Thanks again.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 AM

101 posts, read 413,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingBetterMan View Post
You would most likely be happy in the following places:

New Tampa
Westchase area(Suburban community North West of Tampa. West of New Tampa)
Fishhawk area(Suburban community with all the trimmings, Lithia which is southeast of Brandon)
Brandon and Valrico excellent choices
Carrollwood area (South of Westchase)

A/C bill can depend on the color of your roof, trees nearby, size of windows with exposure to the sun, how high your ceiling is, insulation, construction.....(all very important to the final bill)
But you can actually call TECO electric and ask what an average electric bill is for a particular home you might be looking in to (keep in mind the current owners might like it warm though)
Here is a link and their contact info: 813-223-0800 Tampa Electric

The pool also depends on factors such as age, trees, amount of rain, how often it is used etc...the pool pump also uses electricity. But on average about $35 a month.

Ever hear the saying "a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?......look into getting a pool service for a few bucks more per month for awhile if your not sure how to take care of a pool. It can turn into a headache if not done correctly.

Moderator cut: comment

Carrolwood is north of westchase..........and Westchase is southwest of New Tampa.

You are turned around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay