Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM

44 posts, read 145,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemano View Post
Why would someone have to take the gator away. Shoot it and make yourself a pair of boots, some belts and a few wallets.
It's against the law I believe for anyone to shoot an alligator except during designated hunting times and with permits...unless you are a wildlife official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:50 AM

26 posts, read 118,420 times
Yes, it's against the law to shoot a gator. But people do it b/c, believe it or not, the meat is tasty. It's the tail that people eat, and it does taste like chicken.

I have lived in the Tampa Bay area all my life, and it sounds like some of these posters have never even been to Florida. We don't go around on constant lookout for gators, but we do, well some of us do, use common sense when we're around freshwater and woods.

If you want to live by a pond or lake, go ahead and do it. There are canals and streams and lakes Everywhere in Florida, so, even if you're not right on one, likely there's one within a mile from you. Just use some simple precautions. My heart broke for Freddy, but that lady should have had him on a leash. I always walk my dogs on a leash w/ the end wrapped around my wrist a couple of times. That way, if they try to bolt, they're going to have to take me with them. I wouldn't walk my dogs near ponds or woods b/c nature is full of all kinds of nasty creatures, like water moccasins, poisonous frogs, gators, etc. that my Shih Tzu is no match for.

Now, Palmetto bugs are a different story. Those things are evil and will make you hurt yourself. Seriously, though, Florida is a great state with sunshine and blue skies just about every day. The people are friendly and the weather is great. Hurricanes and gators are some of the drawbacks, but, with a little common sense and preparation, you can stay out of the way of both. There are millions of people here, so that should tell you something right there. I'd be willing to bet 2/3rds of them have never seen a Gator outside of Busch Gardens or the Gatorland Zoo. So don't let fear of gators stop you from buying your dreamhouse hear in the sunshine state. Hope we see you soon!

Last edited by HauntedHouse; 06-15-2008 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-15-2008, 09:21 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,276,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
They aren't in every pond but there is always a possiblity that one will show up one day.
This may sound like a dumb question, but where would it show up from if it wasn't hatched in that lake? Would it make its way from another lake/pond and amble through your subdivision in the process? I'm trying to visualize this occurrence.

I'm from out West with relatives in South Florida. When I fly into FLL, I too see all the new subdivisions with backyards clustered around a pond or lake in the back. No thanks! If I can't go in there, I don't want it. I'd make sure my house is surrounded by terra firma.

Also, remember that the attack on a female jogger in South Florida in May 06 (?) took place as she took a rest from her run near a canal in the western suburbs, either sitting by it or barely getting in. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Regarding the East Texas comment -- yeah, I was in the Houston area a couple of months ago and found out that there very well may be alligators in most of the lakes/ponds in the suburban outskirts. Just great!?

OP - why do you want to move from Colorado to Tampa? Just curious.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 PM

598 posts, read 2,262,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This may sound like a dumb question, but where would it show up from if it wasn't hatched in that lake? Would it make its way from another lake/pond and amble through your subdivision in the process? I'm trying to visualize this occurrence.
Yup! During mating season they are on the move looking for a honey.
That's when people find them in their backyards, carports, garages or other odd places you don't expect to find a gator. Just be aware and don't leave doors open.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,085,591 times
Yep, mating season is the time when they be a lookin for love in all the wrong places.

They will travel over a mile looking for love.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
yep, Mating Season Is The Time When They Be A Lookin For Love In All The Wrong Places. :d
Ha!

Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 PM

79 posts, read 276,848 times
Wow, this thread has me slightly terrified.

My husband and I placed a bid on a house in Tampa and the offer was accepted yesterday. We bid without actually seeing the house since we had been in one of the same model. It has a large retention pond in back. It looked close to the house in the photo, but I couldn't tell how close for sure. I asked our realtor how far the pond was from the edge of the lanai. He said it was about 20-30 feet from the lanai's edge. Yikes!

I have a Chihuahua. I don't think I'd ever want him in the back yard now. Fortunately we received the acceptance of our offer after the deadline we gave. That keeps us from being obligated now. We'll be down there this weekend to look at the house to make our final decision about buying the house.

Maybe we need to stick to a wooded lot. I'm really worried that this house won't be safe for pets with a retention pond so close. Does anyone think think that 20-30 feet is too close for comfort?

Take care, Joy

Old 06-21-2008, 12:44 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,174,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajoy88 View Post
Wow, this thread has me slightly terrified.

My husband and I placed a bid on a house in Tampa and the offer was accepted yesterday. We bid without actually seeing the house since we had been in one of the same model. It has a large retention pond in back. It looked close to the house in the photo, but I couldn't tell how close for sure. I asked our realtor how far the pond was from the edge of the lanai. He said it was about 20-30 feet from the lanai's edge. Yikes!

I have a Chihuahua. I don't think I'd ever want him in the back yard now. Fortunately we received the acceptance of our offer after the deadline we gave. That keeps us from being obligated now. We'll be down there this weekend to look at the house to make our final decision about buying the house.

Maybe we need to stick to a wooded lot. I'm really worried that this house won't be safe for pets with a retention pond so close. Does anyone think think that 20-30 feet is too close for comfort?

Take care, Joy
If you have a dog you should have a fence, shouldn't you?
I think I'd probably be more concerned about mosquitos or flooding, living on a pond, than about alligators. Alligators make great stories, but honestly, they're really not that big an issue in daily Floridian living. Your dog's probably in more danger from coyotes.

Creative Loafing Tampa | News | Urban Explorer | Urban coyotes

Old 06-21-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If you have a dog you should have a fence, shouldn't you?
I think I'd probably be more concerned about mosquitos or flooding, living on a pond, than about alligators. Alligators make great stories, but honestly, they're really not that big an issue in daily Floridian living. Your dog's probably in more danger from coyotes.

Creative Loafing Tampa | News | Urban Explorer | Urban coyotes
lmao you've got to be kidding. They're not a big issue when you live 20 feet from the pond? That's a dangerous attitude to have and one that results in pets being attacked. Sorry but every fresh water area here in Pinellas has plenty of signs posted for people to expect and beware of gators... because they are everywhere and they eat things, like a dog, child, adults who happen to get close to them by the water. Sorry to be so blunt but, they are an issue, especially when you live on the shoreline. Last thing you want to do is be cavalier about getting near the water!

Another dog grabbed this week:
MyFox Tampa Bay | Gator attacks dog (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6807567&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1 - broken link)

Old 06-21-2008, 03:20 PM

732 posts, read 4,150,240 times
I've gone swimming in gator infested lakes, I've eaten gator, I've hunted gator, I've had gator for pet, and I've fed gators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay