U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2016, 09:51 PM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
11,396 posts, read 12,403,429 times
Reputation: 6689

Advertisements

That was fast. Until late-2014, Delta had always been the only airline offering a non-stop TPA-LAX route. Apparently, on May 4th, American Airlines is discontinuing that route. I had flown TPA-LAX on Delta like a dozen times...only operates once a day, but it's a great asset to TPA. I guess American just couldn't compete with Delta on the route?

On the other hand, I miss Tampa's excellent airport. Flying Tampa-Zurich was so awesome and convenient, and now TPA has a Frankfurt route too. I wonder what other routes Tampa will attract in the coming years. Domestically, I think a San Fran route would do well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Castle Rock, Co
1,614 posts, read 3,036,977 times
Reputation: 965
Direct to salt lake city would be nice. Delta use to do it from TPA, they still do it from ORL but its not worth the 1.5 hour drive there/back for the direct flight.

We can get to Vegas non stop which is our other popular one (wife sister lives there).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 01:46 PM
 
Location: South Tampa, Maui, Paris
3,545 posts, read 2,820,289 times
Reputation: 3684
The Tampa airport is nice if you are just going to be at the airport and NOT GO ANYWHERE.

If you actually have to go somewhere it is a NIGHTMARE to find a nonstop unless you are going somewhere close like Atlanta or DC. If you are going out west or even to Austin Texas for example, flying out of TIA sucks.

And now I guess you are saying there will be one less nonstop to LA? Great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Central Mexico and Central Florida
7,150 posts, read 4,441,197 times
Reputation: 10439
Yes, we flew non-stop to DCA (JetBlue and American) more times than I wish to remember in the past 3 years, for family obligations.

Now that we are no longer needed in DC, decent priced fares and (more important) schedules to interesting places are slim.

Tomorrow we will drive to Orlando for a non-stop on Volaris to Guadalajara, MX. Total fare, with upgrades for best seats, early boarding, etc. (the discount airlines hit you up for these things) is under $400 p/p and the flight times are a delight, leave 2PM and under 4 hours flight time.

Out of Tampa, there are no non-stops and the connecting flights stink time-wise...either it's a 6AM flight with layovers in DFW or HOU, or it's a late flight, getting you into GDL around midnight. The average travel time with layover is 7 hours. And the cheapest (and I hunted 60 days in advance for a few weeks) was $650 p/p.

For the two of us, it's worth $500 to drive to Orlando.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 PM
 
18,176 posts, read 14,157,114 times
Reputation: 9286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Yes, we flew non-stop to DCA (JetBlue and American) more times than I wish to remember in the past 3 years, for family obligations.

Now that we are no longer needed in DC, decent priced fares and (more important) schedules to interesting places are slim.

Tomorrow we will drive to Orlando for a non-stop on Volaris to Guadalajara, MX. Total fare, with upgrades for best seats, early boarding, etc. (the discount airlines hit you up for these things) is under $400 p/p and the flight times are a delight, leave 2PM and under 4 hours flight time.

Out of Tampa, there are no non-stops and the connecting flights stink time-wise...either it's a 6AM flight with layovers in DFW or HOU, or it's a late flight, getting you into GDL around midnight. The average travel time with layover is 7 hours. And the cheapest (and I hunted 60 days in advance for a few weeks) was $650 p/p.

For the two of us, it's worth $500 to drive to Orlando.
Agreed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 06:31 PM
 
170 posts, read 216,843 times
Reputation: 263
Expect huge growth from JetBlue and Virgin America (rumor).....I can expect a TPA-SFO route within the next couple of years. Also, a direct connection to Brazil. Havana, Cuba is another market once stabilization is reached. Although Buckhorn is not being a "go-getter" thank goodness for Mayor Kriseman for building relations. Buckhorn too focused on governor mansion. In order to be in the "big leagues" gotta play hard and market yourself. Current airport director Lopano has done that with Copa, Lufthansa, and Edelweiss. Ironically Lopano was able to snag Edelweiss from MCO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 06:52 PM
 
Location: In a little house on the prairie - literally
10,202 posts, read 7,262,968 times
Reputation: 4557
Interesting comments.

I find TPA great, and my destinations are Calgary or Edmonton... not exactly direct routes. I connect either through Chicago or Houston. Flight times are 5-6 hours, and I find convenient times. I just round tripped to Calgary last week for $436, and only booked 10 days in advance. Can't beat that for value; it costs me more to drive and that takes 5 days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 AM
 
Location: South Tampa, Maui, Paris
3,545 posts, read 2,820,289 times
Reputation: 3684
Yeah there should be a nonstop to Calgary, that's ridiculous!!!!!!!! Calgary is the gateway to the Canadian Rockies and so many attractions!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 PM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
11,396 posts, read 12,403,429 times
Reputation: 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Expect huge growth from JetBlue and Virgin America (rumor).....I can expect a TPA-SFO route within the next couple of years. Also, a direct connection to Brazil. Havana, Cuba is another market once stabilization is reached. Although Buckhorn is not being a "go-getter" thank goodness for Mayor Kriseman for building relations. Buckhorn too focused on governor mansion. In order to be in the "big leagues" gotta play hard and market yourself. Current airport director Lopano has done that with Copa, Lufthansa, and Edelweiss. Ironically Lopano was able to snag Edelweiss from MCO.
Good post. I honestly don't get what some of the others in this thread are saying. Never had a problem getting anywhere in the country...maybe they just aren't trying hard enough. Of course it's not going to have as many routes as somewhere like Orlando, but Tampa is not short on destinations either. And yup, getting the Zurich route from MCO was huge. Edelweiss has even increased the number of days they are flying that route, and it's always full.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 AM
 
182 posts, read 110,140 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Direct to salt lake city would be nice. Delta use to do it from TPA, they still do it from ORL but its not worth the 1.5 hour drive there/back for the direct flight.

We can get to Vegas non stop which is our other popular one (wife sister lives there).
You can only do TPA-Vegas on Southwest, every other airline is at least one stop, some 2.

It is aggravating trying to get anywhere non-stop. We have DC, NYC, only 1 to LA, think United is the only direct to Chicago anymore. Not sure if we have direct to Boston anymore. Everything else is routing through Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte

Forget about a direct flight to anywhere in the PNW.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top