Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 02:04 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times

Advertisements

I defense of OP there are many places that have a posted sing of 50 mph and traffic zoom at 65 to 70. Check veteran to 275 and 275N before I4. Traffic goes 15 to 20 above posted limit. Why enforce one and not other? IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 02:11 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
I defense of OP there are many places that have a posted sing of 50 mph and traffic zoom at 65 to 70. Check veteran to 275 and 275N before I4. Traffic goes 15 to 20 above posted limit. Why enforce one and not other? IDK.
Most of 19 is heavy traffic and lights. Here in Pasco there is a light every few hundred feet that turns red and each one stops you and slows down traffic that is lucky to do 25mph from Holiday to Husdon. Once you are south of Holiday 19 is much better and you get some burst to 55mph.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
Well the law is you can't go 15 under the speed limit AND you have to go with the flow of traffic...so if everyone is going a certain speed you have to maintain that speed in the left unless you're about to turn left at an intersection...its a tricky law...if everyone on the left was going 70, you'd have to go 70 as well to keep up with the flow of traffic or you can get a ticket...but you could still get a ticket if you're speeding...its like a catch 22.
Well you stay with those breaking the law or you get in the slower lane. If you keep going too fast, it is your own fault when a cop pulls you over.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Because I-4 and I-275 are interstates and as such dont have traffic exiting and entering the highway from the many plazas,fast food joints,car dealerships,traffic lights that align the length of hwy19.

Excerpt from Wiki=

Quote:
According to a Dateline NBC study, part of US 19 in Florida is the most dangerous road in the United States. A Florida Highway Patrol test period beginning in 1998 and ending in 2003, as mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, showed the stretch of US 19 from Pasco County to Pinellas County to average approximately 52 deaths a year, or 262 deaths in the 5-year duration of the study.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Because I-4 and I-275 are interstates and as such dont have traffic exiting and entering the highway from the many plazas,fast food joints,car dealerships,traffic lights that align the length of hwy19.

Excerpt from Wiki=
Like always everything is worse in west Pasco.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
75 mph...on 19. Is this a serious thread about left lane driving?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
75 mph...on 19. Is this a serious thread about left lane driving?
No.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:08 AM

182 posts, read 170,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternadude View Post
They are literally cracking down now and I got pulled over earlier BUT it was not for driving slow in the fast lane. It looks like I was going too fast even though the cop clearly saw that I used the left lane for a passing lane. I also told him that too that all I hear about is how you cant go slow in the left. So I don't get it. It seems backwards to me. There was hardly any traffic up by Clearwater or kind of near the Oldsmar Dunedin exit so I went a little faster or around 70-75 which a lot of people I am sure do. I guess they really want to keep slow moving traffic the same so if you show you wanna get moving and you like the fact theres very little traffic, they pull you too.. I just don't get it.. Thankfully I got a warning though. But for real it seems like they want to keep the traffic flow slow along that freeway and frankly, I don't get why. Unless its just on highways like 275 where they are cracking down on left lane slowpokes.
Yeah, nobody's "cracking down" on left lane slowpokes. I'd be surprised if a single ticket has been written or warning issued this year.

But I agree with your premise in that officers should only write tickets in cases where there is a clear danger posed to other drivers or traffic flow is being impeded. That would mean writing tickets for violations other than just speeding... IE, slowpokes, cutting out in front of someone, etc. And the main problem with that is that it requires a judgement call; you know, actual police work. Speeding, on the other hand, is low hanging fruit. You can just sit there and point the radar gun, write tickets, and rake in the revenue... Whether or not it actually benefits us, the taxpayers, with improved safety or traffic flow...

Old 02-22-2016, 11:11 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

Excerpt from Wiki=
I think you are missing (my) point.

In general the US 19 is what you describe above. The section that the OP mentioned has NO such thing for about 10miles. Between Pinellas Park to the exit that the OP mentioned there is a 3 lane dedicated uninterrupted highway that as 55mph posted and have overpass to avoid exactly what you are referring to. May be you haven't traveled recently on US 19 in that section lately but it feels and looks and function the same as the section I mentioned above (end of veterans hwy to either 275 S our N connections). That section is not your typical interstate you are referring and there is a reason that the posted sign is 50mph. I see no one following that rule and most travel at 70mph in that stretch before exiting to 275South or 275N. While I don't do 70mph in US 19, I can see how some could and wonder why the cops are not enforcing consistently all places is the point here.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
I think you are missing (my) point.

In general the US 19 is what you describe above. The section that the OP mentioned has NO such thing for about 10miles. Between Pinellas Park to the exit that the OP mentioned there is a 3 lane dedicated uninterrupted highway that as 55mph posted and have overpass to avoid exactly what you are referring to. May be you haven't traveled recently on US 19 in that section lately but it feels and looks and function the same as the section I mentioned above (end of veterans hwy to either 275 S our N connections). That section is not your typical interstate you are referring and there is a reason that the posted sign is 50mph. I see no one following that rule and most travel at 70mph in that stretch before exiting to 275South or 275N. While I don't do 70mph in US 19, I can see how some could and wonder why the cops are not enforcing consistently all places is the point here.
Need more cops to fine the ones breaking the law by speeding and ... blocking traffic.

Both are stupid acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay