Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
DMX DMX started this thread

46 posts, read 239,164 times

Advertisements

OK, this is a catch-22 situation..
I have an automatic sprinkler system and I have set it to water on my designated watering day at 5:00 AM for 20 mins each zone.

Even with that, the lawn seems to be getting slightly brown the last couple of weeks..

We have been in this house for almost a month now and the lawn was sodded 3 months ago by the builder..

The HOA sent a nastygram saying that my lawn needs to be fertilized and be green.. in fact, I put weed/feed the next day after we closed...

What do you guys, in Tampa, do to mitigate this catch-22 situation? I am afraid to contact the HOA and explain, because I might get 'noted' and be observed more carefully in the future..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:17 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,595,424 times
Use Scott fertilizer and it will be green in no time. Better not argue with the HOA, you won't win. I put Scott fertilizer on it which I bought at Home Depot and I just put it on their by hand (using cloves), I don't even use the spreader or what it is called, I'm not sure, but my grass is very green and it doesn't cost me very much. If you use a company it will cost you much more. I also advised my tenants to use it and they do and the yards of my rentals are just as nice. (I had put it on there before the tenants moved in).
By the way I'm not a sales person for Scott's but maybe I should ask a referral amount from them. lol

Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 AM

137 posts, read 544,340 times
You can also water twice on your day....once in the morning then again at night. Fertilizing will also keep it nice and green. Fighting them won't do anything.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanks guys.. I did put Scotts Weed/Feed... and I was following the rules as per the county (watering only on one day EITHER in morning or evening)...
Guess I have to wait and see... thankfully the HOA letter is only a warning...
Man! This sux..

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM

428 posts, read 1,469,259 times
The HOA cannot break the water ordinance that SWFWMD has issued - i.e. one day watering.

Also, if your HOA was incorporated after October of 2001 they cannot require green lawns if you want to do FLorida Friendly Landscaping or xeriscaping.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
The HOA cannot break the water ordinance that SWFWMD has issued - i.e. one day watering.

Also, if your HOA was incorporated after October of 2001 they cannot require green lawns if you want to do FLorida Friendly Landscaping or xeriscaping.

This is good info, Angler... I am going to call those guys... and explain..
the fact is that I am following SWFWMD rules..

.. but most of my neighbors water at least 2 times a week (I have seen sprinklers go off at late nights)... I asked one guy whether he has received fines from the county.. he says that he has never seen inspectors come into this street and getting fined is remote!

I have also seen one of the neighbors haul buckets of water and pour on his lawn (small front areas)..

No wonder their grass is greener... but I really cannot afford $500 fines

Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 AM

81 posts, read 307,696 times
If your community has reclaimed water you can water twice in a week on designated days. Check it out, if most of your neighbors are watering twice you may have reclaimed water. One of my relatives had similar experience when the could not see good result after putting in fertilizers themselves. If result is not improving you may want to try having someone state licenced do it for you to see if it improves the situation.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,738,946 times
Isn't there a waiver or something you can get from the water company when you resod lawns? I have seen signs that say something like "lawn in progress" for those that do and to let people know that the extra watering is approved to get the lawn established. You can also get a waiver if you are filling your pool for the first time. You might want to call your water co. and ask.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,595,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Isn't there a waiver or something you can get from the water company when you resod lawns? I have seen signs that say something like "lawn in progress" for those that do and to let people know that the extra watering is approved to get the lawn established. You can also get a waiver if you are filling your pool for the first time. You might want to call your water co. and ask.
In my county it only counts if you get a complete new yard/sod. I had parts redone by the builder after these parts died and I called the county if I could use more reclaimed water for a couple of days and they told me "NO". I was allowed to use a hose and use the water that we have in our home, because you pay extra for the more you use....I guess. That water was allowed to be used as much as I needed for these parts.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:41 AM

190 posts, read 762,549 times
Water that sod, you do not want to lose it, Call the sod people and find out what you need to do to keep it alive and green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay