Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Less what? If depends on what one would want, I guess. FL is definitely not a nanny state and I appreciate that....especially having lived in CA and MA.
I noticed many of the states/cities with higher taxes have more amenities and nicer infrastructure .....parks, pools, sidewalks, libraries, walking paths, biking paths, etc etc etc. But if you want those things, you pay for them through higher taxes, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 07:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I noticed many of the states/cities with higher taxes have more amenities and nicer infrastructure .....parks, pools, sidewalks, libraries, walking paths, biking paths, etc etc etc. But if you want those things, you pay for them through higher taxes, don't you?
In theory, you would have more, the more you pay. Unfortunately sometimes when you pay more, it goes to the wrong things.

All the things you listed are better here than anywhere I have lived in my life. Seriously.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Yes. Exactly. Florida also has car insurance that is skyrocket high, among other things. Quality of life, in my experience, is better in states that have income tax. No income tax sounds great until you realize it is holding the state back.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
many of our communities make up for it by having huge HOA fees where we produce and maintain our own parks, infrastructure, libraries, paths, ponds, athletic centers, etc.....so you end up paying one way or another.....

Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
This is really interesting to read. I feel for you. I don't have a single answer related to your field of work whatsoever. I respect that you have a Finance Degree. I started with that intention at USF then looked around my classes, saw hundreds of other in my class who I saw I'd be fighting against to get work and my average grades and uninspired studies told me to do something different (joined Army, got GI Bill, returned to college ROTC, became a Nurse Corps Officer/RN). I know that you're a hugely capable person because that degree you earned took a ton of hard work and the curriculum was tough from what I remember.

But back to your problem, I'd be curious to see your balance sheet for expenses to see if there are things in your budget that one might consider excessive (cable, phone, car bill,entertainment). I hope you're doing what can to live beneath your means where possible. It sounds like you are by your food bill comment. So apologies ahead of time if that's the case.

Your case is a prime example of what these idiot politicians are preaching that they'll fix but I'm hugely skeptical about that.

In the military we pushed mentorship programs where our more experienced officers would informally take the young officers under their wings, give them career advice, show them the road forward. It helped me tremendously. I'm assuming that in the civilian world it's a very competitive dog eat dog world. The person you go to for advice might feel threatened that it's his/her job you're trying to take.

But, if you can find a mentor in your business - usually a level or two above you who you can talk to. (Or maybe someone in the same field but working for another company who you can become acquainted). Maybe not a formal mentorship, but at least figure out how the boss or other successful folks got to their position. What extra experience or education does he/she have. What added responsibilities did he/she take on to make themselves more marketable and valuable to the organization.

Are you going the extra mile for the company? Make yourself invaluable.

There are plenty of posters here who have worked their way through this maze. I'm amazed at the number of different jobs non-military professionals like yourself have in a career. I think I read people work 7-10 jobs a career and no longer work the 30-40 yrs with the same organization like our grandparents did.

I guess you need to be always looking 3-5 yrs out once you've got to the point in your current job where you're not making the wages or the challenges of the job doesn't match your financial needs or qualifications.

As far as the driving 3 hrs. Lesson learned about that. In my life, I always tried to live within a 20 min drive to my work. I know that's impossible sometimes, but in the future, don't anchor yourself down to your living arrangement until you know how far you'll be driving. It really affects your quality of life. I can't remember if you mentioned it in your original post above, but early in your career, you might have to share expenses with another (ie roommate). You might have one. It's a pain in the neck when you have a bad one, but while you're in the entry level of a career, this type of sacrifice might be needed.

If it's any consolation, I think things are looking better compared to six year ago when things were very bleak. Our country was losing hundreds of thousands of jobs a month and we were headed to a serious recession (or worse). I recall the numerous posts here where people where looking for work and chronicling their efforts. Having a job today is like gold, it seems. Lots of people fighting for limited jobs. If you can hang on, get experience, keep adding to your skill set hopefully the economic cycle will improve in the coming decade for folks like yourself. These days of eating Top Ramen will teach you a life lesson to live beneath your means, pay yourself first (save your money), and don't buy needless material things.
Great advise, couldn't rep more

Old 02-23-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes. Exactly. Florida also has car insurance that is skyrocket high, among other things. Quality of life, in my experience, is better in states that have income tax. No income tax sounds great until you realize it is holding the state back.
It is different for different folks. One has to look at their own financials to see where they end up. For us, the no state income taxes dwarfs all other extra expenses combined. For others, it may not.

Our QOL, setting aside my health, is the best here than anywhere. NC was second best. MA was the worst. So again, different for different folks. No one place is best for every single person. Thank god for that or we would really be crowded.....LOL!

Old 02-23-2016, 08:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
It is different for different folks. One has to look at their own financials to see where they end up. For us, the no state income taxes dwarfs all other extra expenses combined. For others, it may not.

Our QOL, setting aside my health, is the best here than anywhere. NC was second best. MA was the worst. So again, different for different folks. No one place is best for every single person. Thank god for that or we would really be crowded.....LOL!
Yep no tax on any type of income in FL. Here in TN they do tax dividends and Royalties and that tax would easily cover a LOT of insurance costs in FL.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep no tax on any type of income in FL. Here in TN they do tax dividends and Royalties and that tax would easily cover a LOT of insurance costs in FL.
Very interesting and specific to certain states, which is why it is a different net result for different circumstances.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:59 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Well, let me share my thoughts. I am from very poor family by America's standards. While my parents worked low pay jobs, they managed to pay bills - nothing fancy was on that list - apartment not in best part of the city, utilities, and food. Two full time working people $12 an hour are bringing home around $3K. Can you pay your bills for that money? Yes, if you are on budget. It's do-able. Of course you might not be able to afford vacation trips or expensive brand name things, but it will be enough to pay for rent, utilities, food and something necessary to live.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Most of these things are funded at the local level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: