Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi:

Thank you all for your comments. As far as working harder, that method is not always successful. The old saying about being rewarded for working hard, is not always true. I am not saying one should be lazy at one's job, but, if you work really hard, and all you receive is "thanks," and no monetary rewards, that does not help you to pay your bills.
If you expect an immediate reward than your doing it wrong. I cant even begin to count how many times all i got was a "thanks", or how many times I didn't even get one of those for going WAY above and beyond. I will say that I don't think I would have more than tripped my pay in 6 years moving from one of the lowest positions in the company (entry level field tech) to a corporate level engineering roll with without all of those times of going above and beyond with little to no recognition.

Anyone can do it, people are just too afraid to get down and work for what they want.. REALLY work for it, meaning volunteering for the jobs WELL below their level of work, staying after hours to assist someone else in something that you will get NOTHING out of other than experience that will get you further some day down the road.

I cant stand hearing people say there is no way to move up and people cant do it and that some people are just lucky or get a free ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
If you expect an immediate reward than your doing it wrong. I cant even begin to count how many times all i got was a "thanks", or how many times I didn't even get one of those for going WAY above and beyond. I will say that I don't think I would have more than tripped my pay in 6 years moving from one of the lowest positions in the company (entry level field tech) to a corporate level engineering roll with without all of those times of going above and beyond with little to no recognition.

Anyone can do it, people are just too afraid to get down and work for what they want.. REALLY work for it, meaning volunteering for the jobs WELL below their level of work, staying after hours to assist someone else in something that you will get NOTHING out of other than experience that will get you further some day down the road.

I cant stand hearing people say there is no way to move up and people cant do it and that some people are just lucky or get a free ride.
Too true. Most expect they will move up by being mediocre and doing nothing more than most anyone else. Kinda like thy deserve more because they want more. Life does not work like that.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:16 PM

84 posts, read 146,823 times
Here's the deal, go where you can make money with a good COL. If you make around 100k a year or more, FL or other no income tax states like TX are great but if you are making closer to 50k, you should probably move to a different state. The reason for this is because FL or TX property taxes and insurances (Texas weather is insane and FL has flood, wind and other insurances) are much higher than cheap states with an income tax like Georgia or North Carolina but if you're making 100k a year, it's not going to be 6k a year more. You can get a really nice 3,000 sq ft house in a desirable area of Atlanta or Charlotte for around 300k. If you want a nice house in Tampa, it's going to cost you closer to 350 or 400k and probably closer to 2300 sq ft.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
....or don't buy a house - rent, live beneath your means.

You don't pay real estate taxes, insurance (other than renter's insurance if you desire that)......I didn't buy my first home until retirement while saving a large chunk of every paycheck and investing it into a market that returns 7% on avg during those years......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: