Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM

794 posts, read 1,853,290 times

Advertisements

We are predicted to have a very active Hurricane season this year.

I'm renting a house and I have a 7000 watt generator. The house I'm renting does not have a transfer switch and the landlord doesn't want to pay for one. Anyone here use a generator as a backup and tap into the house system after shutting down the Main Breaker to prevent backfeed? I am aware of the pro's and cons.

What else can I do? I went through Hurricane Andrew and after 3 weeks, we still did not have power!!! We were miserable and had to get ice and water from the National Guard checkpoints. I don't want to do that again. But would like to store enough gas to fire up the Gene and run the refrigerator enough to keep the ice and food cold.

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 AM

346 posts, read 1,337,973 times
I had the same experience with Wilma. Rolled through South Florida and took everything out. Me and my neighbors even outside for a few minutes when the eye was over our area to see if everyone was ok. We all ran inside once the eye passed and the crazy wind started to pickup. We were powerless for over 2 weeks. Our son was only 3 months old then and we drove him up to St. Pete for a few weeks so we could clean up. We also were able to find a generator to take back with us to run our lights. I'd suggest all Floridians to invest in one just in case you need it.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,044,632 times
I did not have a generator during the 1st 2004 storm. I got one (via Sears, Chicago) before the 2nd storm hit. Big difference. It was nice to have power to keep the frig cold and provide a/c at night for the bedroom (I had a window unit in the garage just in case the central air went down).

I do not think it's a good idea to connect to the home system for the obvious safety reasons.

I understand that throwing the main breaker will isolate you from the outside world, but I still think it is a dangerous proposition. I ran 4 high current extension cords from the generator to various parts of the house. Cumbersome yes, safe yes.

I fill my gas cans once I know the storm is on track to us.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,273,666 times
I don't have one and I've only met one family that has one, and I think it came with their newly-constructed house.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 PM

877 posts, read 1,904,319 times
We have nothing. Our plan is to throw the dogs in the car and head north the minute it looks like we might be hit. I couldn't stand to live without power for weeks at a time.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,271,804 times
I think I'll do likewise. I'm sure the roads will be pretty crowded headed north. Tomorrow I'm attending a hurricane seminar - will see what they think about generators. Craigslist seems to have a ton of generators (in Tampa) for sale. Wonder why.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,044,632 times
I would think a lot of folks bought generators in 2004. I know after Charlie we could not find a generator anywhere. We waited for "the shipment" a couple of times at various outlets in the days after Charlie. No power for a week or better.

I figured there had to be a way. There was. Call Sears in Chicago and had one shipped to the local store for pick up. That worked.

I wouldnt even think of trying to go North in the event of a storm as the roads would be jammed and finding a hotel with a vacancy would be difficult to say the least.

Be prepared. That's the key to hurricane survival. That and make sure your place of residence can withstand the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think I'll do likewise. I'm sure the roads will be pretty crowded headed north. Tomorrow I'm attending a hurricane seminar - will see what they think about generators. Craigslist seems to have a ton of generators (in Tampa) for sale. Wonder why.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,593,973 times
We are woefully unprepared. I can't decide what to do. We just moved last year and we are renting. We have had so many issues with this house that we are very seriously considering breaking the lease. The people who lived here before clearly did not think they would ever be hit by a storm, since it is in no way prepared.

I don't know if we should invest the money in boards and anchors for the windows or not. I certainly don't want to be caught in a hurricane without them. But it's not going to be cheap or simple to do that, and if we leave we will just be out that money, and we are already out a bunch of money because of the house issues.

I do want a generator, but I've read that you shouldn't buy an inexpensive one? Is that always true?

As far as leaving, isn't the key to leave before the last minute? My friend's husband got stuck on a causeway (can't remember where or when, it wasn't in Tampa) during a serious hurricane. It scared him really badly, and reasonably so, imo. Now, if anything bigger than a cat 1 heads his direction, they are headed toward Alabama. They live in a rural area, though, so overcrowded roads aren't a big problem.

I'm thinking I would go to Atlanta, where I have some family. Is it unreasonable to think we could make it that far?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 AM

848 posts, read 1,947,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post

I do want a generator, but I've read that you shouldn't buy an inexpensive one? Is that always true?

As far as leaving, isn't the key to leave before the last minute?

I'm thinking I would go to Atlanta, where I have some family. Is it unreasonable to think we could make it that far?
Before you buy a generator, decide what you would want to keep running.
Refrigerator, floor or window AC, lamps, TV, computer, weather alert station, etc. Then, realistically list what would be likely to run *AT THE SAME TIME*.
Lots of info on the net about how to calculate. Here's one site of many:

SIZING A GENERATOR FOR HOME USE

You can also check for generator ratings online. Honda is always great, but expensive. We have a Troy 5550. It's medium quality and has worked flawlessly for years. You can't let generators sit either. Ours get run every month for at least 30 minutes. At the *first* sign of a potentially dangerous hurricane, we stock up on gas. It can always be used for the mower if not needed for the generator.

The only way you're going to get out of Florida in a real hurricane situation is if you leave EARLY. You'll make Atlanta easily if you leave before any hint of an evacuation. In other words, leave well before you think you need to leave.

There is limitless info on the web about how to prepare for a hurricane. The time to read it is now.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM

877 posts, read 1,904,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That and make sure your place of residence can withstand the storm.
Ours wouldn't. The house we are renting is a one level and in South Tampa. I think we are at mandatory evacuation for a level 2 storm. We do have friends in New Tampa and Valrico who would take us in if needed.

I think our best choice is just to make it to at least GA. I have a CR-V so if absolutely necessary and there were no hotels left we could sleep in the car (assuming the storm didn't make it that far). We'd recover from the storm in either Charlotte, NC or Chicago depending on how much damage it had done.

How early do the roads start getting jammed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: