U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:37 AM

9 posts, read 48,676 times

Advertisements

My Wife & I,and 3 children, are considering relocation for a job in Tampa.We are seeking information on the best areas,affordable, to live within about a 30 minute drive to Tampa.Home prices under $250K,good schools,quality of life/low crime/drugs are the essentials.Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:43 AM

106 posts, read 539,941 times
I recommend valrico moved from NJ very happy with the move.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 AM

3,928 posts, read 10,754,820 times
I think mike28 is probably right. There are lots of newer homes in the southeastern Hillsborough area (Brandon, Riverview, Gibsonton, Apollo Beach, Lithia, etc.).

You can lookup public school information online at Hillsborough County Public Schools-Tampa Florida.

And you can lookup Hillsborough County Crime statistics at County Crime Statistics (http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default.asp?/Online/UCRCRIMES - broken link).

As with any other large metro city, there are going to be both good and bad areas.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,317 times
I am an older female tired of the way things have gone, looking for a new life. Trying to find a new job and also in the midst of pursuing an AA degree in Nursing. What are some community colleges and also a great place to look for a job in finance, customer service,collections. I was thinking about Tampa Bay or Orlando. A nice clean low crime area.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 PM

849 posts, read 3,304,026 times
Smile as an older

job seeker it's not going to be easy here. the job won't be great and will barely support you. I'd say however the area around Clearwater/St. Pete for customer service/collections. That would give you access to St. Petersburg College. This is now a 4 year school that still has AA programs and a large nursing program. In Tampa there is Hillsboroough County CC. I can't say I'd recommend it for an older person. I also have some friends who are going to go to Galen for nursing. Galen College of Nursing It's in Tampa but the Largo/Clearwater area where you could find a nice apt. or the "Gateway" area of St. Pete wouldn't be to far to either your job or school. You almost certainly have to be here to get the level job you want and your best bet is to go to one of the temp services that is looking for temp to perm people in those positions.
I don't know about Orlando. The county there is Orange Co. so you can google community colleges or nursing schools in Orange Co. FL

I wish you all the best, it is going to be a challenge. Im older also and the director of the paralegal program at SPCC tod me not to even bother with the program cause I'd never get hired around here, and that's with a BS and Amer. Bar Assoc. certification.
If I might suggest going beyond the AA, because in this area we have large teaching hospitals and a LOT of the nursing pool has 4 year degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaon View Post
I am an older female tired of the way things have gone, looking for a new life. Trying to find a new job and also in the midst of pursuing an AA degree in Nursing. What are some community colleges and also a great place to look for a job in finance, customer service,collections. I was thinking about Tampa Bay or Orlando. A nice clean low crime area.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,133 times
My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Tampa or St. Pete as well. We are both 40 and have career type jobs. He is a network engineer and I am a Director type for a technology incubator. He has two degrees and I am still working on mine. I am wondering a couple of things. 1) Where the best neighborhoods are to live. Close to the beach but also close to some nightlife and culture and 2) What the job market is like for folks like us if anyone knows. We are active folks and love to bike, kayak, etc. I am a triathlete so clear water for swimming would be a plus.

We live in Maryland and are sick of the taxes, weather and in general the economy here. We think someplace warmer is at least worth a look. Would appreciate any input anyone has.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,858,042 times
"My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Tampa or St. Pete as well. We are both 40 and have career type jobs. He is a network engineer and I am a Director type for a technology incubator. He has two degrees and I am still working on mine. I am wondering a couple of things. 1) Where the best neighborhoods are to live. Close to the beach but also close to some nightlife and culture and 2) What the job market is like for folks like us if anyone knows. We are active folks and love to bike, kayak, etc. I am a triathlete so clear water for swimming would be a plus.

We live in Maryland and are sick of the taxes, weather and in general the economy here. We think someplace warmer is at least worth a look. Would appreciate any input anyone has."

1) I'd say St. Pete(northeast is my fav area from downtown to Gandy, east of 4th street)..close to beach, nice nightlife downtown and plenty of culture. Biking, Kayaking are a plenty in the Bay area..lots of great trails, parks and recreation areas, and whats best, is you can do it all year!

2) I am unfamiliar with the job market has in store for your professions.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Valrico

sounds good but depending where the job is, Tampa is a pretty big geog. area so it may take a bit more than 30 min. The schools that serve that area are good Durant HS and the schools that feed it are good. My DH subbed at Durant several times and thought it to be ok. He also subbed at that middle school which I forget the name of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I think mike28 is probably right. There are lots of newer homes in the southeastern Hillsborough area (Brandon, Riverview, Gibsonton, Apollo Beach, Lithia, etc.).

You can lookup public school information online at Hillsborough County Public Schools-Tampa Florida.

And you can lookup Hillsborough County Crime statistics at County Crime Statistics (http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default.asp?/Online/UCRCRIMES - broken link).

As with any other large metro city, there are going to be both good and bad areas.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM

3,928 posts, read 10,754,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaon View Post
In Florida, there are lots of healthcare positions, and it seems Nursing is one of the most advertised for in the Sunday Classifieds. Click here for the Labor Stats --> Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - May 2006 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates. You can also read the classifieds online, our local newspapers are the Tampa Tribune and The St. Petersburg Times.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 PM

Smile I believe that USF

has a technology incubator program if that's the term. Just check the web site. That's Univ of So. FL. You could finish your degree there. Still doable from St. Pete. I agree with Tampaguy and would and add living in Downtown St. Pete. Don't know about BF's work. Any of the beaches in Pinellas Co. would give you the blue water. In fact I think there is at least one big triathalon event here. The Pinellas trail will give you a place to bike and run. You won't have the sports amenities in Tampa, it's away form the beach, and from South Tampa which is the only part of town that has what you mention, the ride to USF is not much better than from St. Pete. You just get ot avoid the bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
"My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Tampa or St. Pete as well. We are both 40 and have career type jobs. He is a network engineer and I am a Director type for a technology incubator. He has two degrees and I am still working on mine. I am wondering a couple of things. 1) Where the best neighborhoods are to live. Close to the beach but also close to some nightlife and culture and 2) What the job market is like for folks like us if anyone knows. We are active folks and love to bike, kayak, etc. I am a triathlete so clear water for swimming would be a plus.

We live in Maryland and are sick of the taxes, weather and in general the economy here. We think someplace warmer is at least worth a look. Would appreciate any input anyone has."

1) I'd say St. Pete(northeast is my fav area from downtown to Gandy, east of 4th street)..close to beach, nice nightlife downtown and plenty of culture. Biking, Kayaking are a plenty in the Bay area..lots of great trails, parks and recreation areas, and whats best, is you can do it all year!

2) I am unfamiliar with the job market has in store for your professions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay