Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 06:25 AM

87 posts, read 302,358 times

Advertisements

This may be a dumb question but would a single story 3-4 bedroom home make of block stucco(buit in 2002 or newer) hold up better in a hurricane than the same style of house just two storie tall. We are looking in several areas and all are about 6-7 miles from the coast and the trees are very low. Again, this may sound dumb but is becoming a concern for me. I just seems everything sticking out about the trees would go for a little ride when a hurricane hits plus any flying objects would have a direct route with the trees being so low. Also, are the two story homes build with blocks all the way up or is that just the first floor with the second floor built up and completed with wood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 AM

81 posts, read 308,336 times
Purely from hurricane point of view, you would be better off with single storey home as in most cases here second floor is of wood frame. But again, there are builders who build both floors same so you would need to ask. Generally it is very expensive to build both floors of blocks and wood frame on second floor is much cheaper for them. But I don't think even wood frame on second floor is that much to worry about - it is not as if they will fall apart in hurricane.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,763 times
I would agree with "sncoupons" usually the second floor is all wood and would probably get hit in a hurricane (damage) also the two stories I've seen have 2 a/c units, which is also more expensive to run and maintain. I'd stay with a single story stucco home.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 PM

25 posts, read 196,485 times
interesting... Do all two stories have 2 AC's ?? And are your furnaces run on gas or electric?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:43 PM

141 posts, read 754,167 times
LOL Florida homes dont have furnaces...we have no need for them. And also my home is 2 story and only has 1 ac unit. But then again it was built in 84

Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM

what heats your home when it gets into the 40's like it has been some nights? Sorry to be asking stupid questions. Im from the north and its normal here.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM

Why do the builder website's floorplans show furnaces in them? When we stayed in St Pete Beach last fall there was a furnace in the condo. LOL . My husband works in HVAC he knows what a furnace looks like... ?? LOL

Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,121 times
Default they're electric

"furnaces" I guess the poster is thinking a big tank that burns coal, oil or wood, maybe has a huge gas element in it.

Most of our heat is electric here, possible natural gas in some areas. A lot of heat pumps in newer units. We just got a new electric "furnace" in our apt. and it is hot enough for MN. hehheh. I can't take it. even when it's in the 40's. I haven't used it for more than an hour or so in the am. but I tend to be cold natured or is it warm natured? I always mix them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuckstasty View Post
Why do the builder website's floorplans show furnaces in them? When we stayed in St Pete Beach last fall there was a furnace in the condo. LOL . My husband works in HVAC he knows what a furnace looks like... ?? LOL

Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
The Florida Building Code was updated in 2004 with additional updates applied in 2006 & 2007 (which go into effect in October 2008). The newer standards are much stricter than in previous years particularly as it relates to wind impact resistance.

And it makes no sense to me either about using frame on the 2nd story. Some builders do all block, but very few. With the required maintenance of frame for wood destroying organizms and water damage (hello, this is Florida...it's wet here!), I would think block is better. As sncoupons said, it has to be a matter of cost.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 64,889 times
My house in Virginia is a 2-story and the upper floor gets VERY hot in the summer. I assume that happens in Florida too? Why would anyone wanna have a 2-story house in Florida, with the hurricanes AND a second floor that feels like a sauna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay