Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:50 AM

89 posts, read 345,390 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm hoping people can help. However, after reading a thread started by 2 kids moving from Boston to escape the cold, you all have me afraid. We have to move. My husband really wants to go to his company's Florida office but after reading the posts it sounds as if we'll be rally unhappy. My daughter will be 22 in March and is graduating in May. She is also moving and plans on teaching in the same area. She says she has always loved Florida as we vacation there often but in the Boca Raton area. My son will be 20 and still attending college in New York where we are from. I'm hoping people on this board can help alleviate my fears and point me in a direction for housing as we don't know the areas at all and are hoping to find a nice,safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 06:22 AM

71 posts, read 272,809 times
We like Wesley Chapel. It's also in Pasco County, about 20 miles inland from Tarpon Springs and they are hiring teachers. It is a good place to live.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:45 AM

Thanks! I'll go online and check it out now!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:10 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Wesley Chapel would be a heck of a commute. Google maps puts the distance at 33 miles and 50 minutes.

Check out Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Palm Harbor. These are all areas in 'North County' (Pinellas) are considered good areas.

You'd be a lot closer to work and the beach.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:17 AM

Thanks but are they good, safe areas? His boss works in Dunedin so we've been scouting that one online but my kids are afraid of being too close to the water.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Default Vacationing down here is alot different than living here

Trust me on this one. This state is so backwards with everything.
So many people with different opinions and nothing ever gets done.
There really isn't anything to do after you have gone to the beaches several times. It gets to a point where you ask your husband "what do you want to do this weekend?" You can't just go and visit your family up north or friends.
It really is boring for the younger people too.
Please, tell me what ever happened to being near the family?
The holidays suck down here. You are on the phone with everybody up north and you and your husband and kids are all alone.
Think long and hard about this move.
I know alot of people that moved down here a few years ago and are moving back home, wherever that may including me.
This is a transient state. People are just passing through.

THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 PM

185 posts, read 686,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohcorner View Post
Thanks but are they good, safe areas? His boss works in Dunedin so we've been scouting that one online but my kids are afraid of being too close to the water.
Why? There's nothing but coastline so you can be really close to the beach affordably.

Of Course being right on the beach is prohibitive, but why not be close if it's the same as being inland?

I'll never understand. Just check places within 10 minutes drive of the beach.

Unless you don't like water?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:23 PM

185 posts, read 686,783 times
Quote:
Hi everyone I'm hoping people can help. However, after reading a thread started by 2 kids moving from Boston to escape the cold, you all have me afraid. We have to move. My husband really wants to go to his company's Florida office but after reading the posts it sounds as if we'll be rally unhappy. My daughter will be 22 in March and is graduating in May. She is also moving and plans on teaching in the same area. She says she has always loved Florida as we vacation there often but in the Boca Raton area. My son will be 20 and still attending college in New York where we are from. I'm hoping people on this board can help alleviate my fears and point me in a direction for housing as we don't know the areas at all and are hoping to find a nice,safe neighborhood.
The two kids from Boston are picking the cheapest apartments in areas.

Since they are city areas, the cheapest apartments are in bad neighborhoods.

Makes sense, doesn't it? You have a great combination of beach and affordable and safe where you are so take heart.

Affordable's relative, of course, but you're a pretty fair drive from the major employment areas. Since your employment is in Tarpon Springs, you have a choice of some areas people are willing to commute from without the commute. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Tarpoon Springs is nice, so is wesley chapel, however the compute would wear thin. You also need to check out if you buy the price of HOI.

All of Pasco is in this crisis now. I lived on Cape Cod, and found it boring.

Yes to have the warm weather here is a plus. All of pasco is building schools, and this means there is a need for teachers. You can call a few indepent insurance agents with regards to HOI to get the real scope.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:58 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Default Teachers need to get paid more here also

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Tarpoon Springs is nice, so is wesley chapel, however the compute would wear thin. You also need to check out if you buy the price of HOI.

All of Pasco is in this crisis now. I lived on Cape Cod, and found it boring.

Yes to have the warm weather here is a plus. All of pasco is building schools, and this means there is a need for teachers. You can call a few indepent insurance agents with regards to HOI to get the real scope.
Just find out what the payscale is for teachers in the area you are looking into.
They need to raise that payscale for these teachers down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay