Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:49 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,781 times

Advertisements

Very kind of you to say SLCPUNK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
the employment section of the tampa tribune sunday edition was 3 pages this week.....tampa is a career graveyard for most. most educated people i know have left or are leaving tampa and other parts of florida due to, well due to a lot of things....

Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 23,712 times
Default One person's xperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont-cda View Post
I know that the U.S is going through an economic slowdown. But we were thinking of moving to Tampa and we were wondering if there are any employers who will employ Canadians or how difficult is it to find employment for Canadians? Any suggestions where to start? (We are in Finance and Information Technology).
We looked into the green card lottery but unfortunately, it is closed to Canadians.
I know someone will probably write back and say, stay in Canada as they have in other forums. But we love the area and find the people very friendly.
I have worked with Americans, mostly from New York who have come up here to work, and they were great people. I know people are people no matter where they are from.
I think it would be great to experience and have exposure to another working environment and we would definately appreciate the weather.
My husband has an opportunity for relocation to California but I'm worried about cost of living and housing, I would prefer Tampa. Tampa appears more family. We have three kids.
Any Suggestions ,especially from Canadians that have found jobs in Florida ? Thanks in Advance
Hello:
In my experience, the easiest and simplist way to work in USA is to get a TN visa. It basically requires a job offer and proof that you fit a protected professional category, nurses, accountants, engineers, etc.

Anything else is expensive, lengthy and out of your control.

Having worked in the USA for many years (including Tampa) as a 'fill-in', I found that Canadian engineers are treated, on average, as little more than highly skilled migrant workers, in my opinion. I won't elaborate but be very, very carefull about where you live and where you work. For example, my Tampa landlord knew I was Canadian and would be moving away. He stiil has my rent deposit and you have no rights if you move away. Maybe a coincidence? I once got fired because I would not let a junior engineer listen to baseball games all day long! I was hired many times to sign and seal drawings even though I was rarely involved in their creation.

Getting the job offer can be tough if you are applying from Canada. They know you are a Canadian. In my experience, that makes a big difference. If you are applying while on vacation, be prepared to have the door closed in your face, despite your qualifications. They don't like Canadians expressing their opinions.

Read and understand EVERY contract you are required to sign. Find a legal service on retainer ASAP after you arrive.

And don't be surprised that what you get is not what you bargained for.

If you go there to spend money, they love you.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 34,265 times
Default what is the name of the main newspaper in Tampa?

thanks!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:33 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianmom1973 View Post
what is the name of the main newspaper in Tampa?
It's the Tampa Tribune

The Tampa Tribune

And to Ont-cda, life is short. If you want to experience life in a different place...go for it.

You can always change your mind later.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 PM

58 posts, read 124,273 times
I'm also a Canadian..considering moving. Curious, anyone know if on a TN Visa you can get an SSN, so that you can open a bank account and build up credit? Additionally, are Canadians allowed to purchase property while working there?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM

18 posts, read 54,839 times
Good luck with your job search. Have you found a way to move yet? I am a Canadian Paralegal from Ontario. I have been tring to find a way to Southern Florida for a few years. No luck yet. I go there lots and want to relocate. I am a very hard worker with excellent references. I love the people of Florida. There are pro's and con's no matter where you are. If you end up with good advice please do share!!!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 AM

17 posts, read 240,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwilly View Post
Good luck with your job search. Have you found a way to move yet? I am a Canadian Paralegal from Ontario. I have been tring to find a way to Southern Florida for a few years. No luck yet. I go there lots and want to relocate. I am a very hard worker with excellent references. I love the people of Florida. There are pro's and con's no matter where you are. If you end up with good advice please do share!!!!!

Shuwilly, I am also a Paralegal. I work in Calgary tho, and I don't have any certificates or anything. I am also interested moving to Florida. Let me know if you have any luck. Also, do you have a diploma or anything?

Thanks

Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,153 times
Its simply not that simple for anyone from Canada (or many other nations for that matter) to get a visa/job/greencard etc etc.
First stop is to talk to a really good immigration attorney, or read the USICS website - thoroughly and that's tough going. That is why I say find a good IA who will give you at least a 20 min advice call or meeting. I do know a good one who is a member of AILA
We did the H1B and it's fine so long as you don't lose your job and in this climate, that's not easy.
Once you lose the H1B you lose the right to stay here. When you are here, spouse and children not allowed to work either. Converting to Green card is doable, but not as simple as everyone makes it out to be. It took us 6 years to get our GC and that was six years of worrying every day whether tomorrow would be the beginning of our last few days here. Its not so bad if you are single or just a couple, but once you have children it becomes very stressful, with schooling, settling and more.
However, did I say it was worth it? YES most definitely

Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
The IT job market is practically nonexistant here. My husband was laid off and has had only 2 interviews in 4 months and both were temp jobs. I imagine they would hire Americans first before considering foreigners. Tampa's unemployment rate is now 10.4%. Good luck finding work! I wouldn't move down here without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: