Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:06 AM

101 posts, read 113,998 times

Advertisements

Anyone have recommendations for someone to build a screen room? We're looking for something like this but fully screened. It's like pulling teeth trying to get a contractor to come out here and give us a quote.
Attached Thumbnails
Covered porch, patio, deck, screened or not.....suggestions-img_3732.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
MRViking, that is a very nice deck!

I also prefer to NOT have a screen. Spend the money on a mosquito repellent system (like a propane unit) and enjoy the real outdoors.

I find that mosquitos regularly get into a screen enclosure anyways so they dont do you a whole lot of good.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Florida is all about being outside. We have been working on our backyard for the last three years. Wifey likes to add on inside projects, so I need to work around our inside projects as well. Our main deck area is 35x45. I am not a big fan of screens, they make me feel like I am in a bird cage. Bugs are a small price to pay when you get to be out in the fresh air. I did build a cover over our grill area. The deck area is western facing so we don't get afternoon direct sun most of the day past noon. My parents had a nice screened in pool area at their house. I much prefer being outside without being kept in a cage. Also I like the convince of being able to set my water temperature in my Jacuzzi like I do my house AC, then spending the day cleaning a pool.
Nice grill/bar area!! Great Job! (Even though your a Viking fan---BaaaaaHaaaaaa) One of my daughters is a Viking fan
Seriously though, your deck looks lovely!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:55 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Florida is all about being outside. We have been working on our backyard for the last three years. Wifey likes to add on inside projects, so I need to work around our inside projects as well. Our main deck area is 35x45. I am not a big fan of screens, they make me feel like I am in a bird cage. Bugs are a small price to pay when you get to be out in the fresh air. I did build a cover over our grill area. The deck area is western facing so we don't get afternoon direct sun most of the day past noon. My parents had a nice screened in pool area at their house. I much prefer being outside without being kept in a cage. Also I like the convince of being able to set my water temperature in my Jacuzzi like I do my house AC, then spending the day cleaning a pool.
Very nice. Something like that it's what I'm planning on once retired. Also a Viking fan so like banner touch. Did you built it all yourself?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:47 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Very nice. Something like that it's what I'm planning on once retired. Also a Viking fan so like banner touch. Did you built it all yourself?
I had someone help me build the framing and set the supports under the deck. My son will be helping me this summer extending the roof over my side deck, where my ceramic egg lives. I need to get ready for football season. By extending the roof, we will be able to upgrade our 55" TV with a larger screen.
The Vikes will be playing 4- 800pm games this year. That will make watching the game from the coach on the deck so much sweeter. Night games are so cool outside under the florida stars. NFL draft starts tonight so I need to go find my Viking jersey.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Personally and professionally I would say that most people unless they are near the beach, prefer screened enclosures.

Most beach front homes don't have screens as it takes away from the view.
I personally would hardly be outside without a screen at dusk and dawn as the mosquitoes seem to be my best friend.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
Screened, shaded, glassed and air conditioned. It's Florida!

My experience from living beach side is that you seldom need screens if you're right on the beach. The ocean breeze will keep them away. They hate wind. Wherever you are, a good breeze or a fan is essential.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:18 AM

182 posts, read 170,992 times
We have a 14x14 covered lanai that we're thinking of getting screened in. Any idea how much that will cost, and any recommendations on a company that does that sort of thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay