Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 AM

101 posts, read 113,880 times

Advertisements

We would like to have a covered porch or a deck of some sort built behind our house. I'm 85% sure we would want an area, maybe 20x36 which is 1/2 covered and fully screened. Screens would be nice for the bugs and keeping it partially covered would be nice for our table/grill. Keeping the other half screen would allow light into the living room.

I'm curious what others like in their back yard as well as if anyone has suggestions for a contractor to build this.

Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:50 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Florida is all about being outside. We have been working on our backyard for the last three years. Wifey likes to add on inside projects, so I need to work around our inside projects as well. Our main deck area is 35x45. I am not a big fan of screens, they make me feel like I am in a bird cage. Bugs are a small price to pay when you get to be out in the fresh air. I did build a cover over our grill area. The deck area is western facing so we don't get afternoon direct sun most of the day past noon. My parents had a nice screened in pool area at their house. I much prefer being outside without being kept in a cage. Also I like the convince of being able to set my water temperature in my Jacuzzi like I do my house AC, then spending the day cleaning a pool.
Attached Thumbnails
Covered porch, patio, deck, screened or not.....suggestions-2015-06-21-13.14.38.jpg   Covered porch, patio, deck, screened or not.....suggestions-0621151316_hdr.jpg   Covered porch, patio, deck, screened or not.....suggestions-0621151315.jpg   Covered porch, patio, deck, screened or not.....suggestions-0621151315a.jpg   Covered porch, patio, deck, screened or not.....suggestions-0621151314a.jpg  

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM

201 posts, read 237,578 times
Screening an enclosure is essential in Florida. For the top we have what is known as Florida Glass. It keeps out the rain but not all of the light. Ask any lanai builder about it.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:38 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
While that's a beautiful outdoor area, I too vote for screening at least for part of it. You will get more use out of it IMO.

We have a large screened porch where I sit most days year-round...it has 2 very powerful ceiling fans....even in the summer, it's usually enough of a breeze so I'm comfortable (I can tolerate heat more than I tolerate cold, YMMV).

We also have two large unscreened patio areas, one where we have the grill under an alcove so I can cook when it rains, plus lots of dining seating, picnic table, etc. I use the grill almost nightly, though we don't often sit out there unless we're entertaining and need the space in addition to our indoor seating.

On the other patio area we have our hot tub. For privacy we have a solid panels made of natural cedar with plastic 'stained glass' inserts in some of the panels with box planters on the exterior facing side. We use our hot tub nightly, even in the summer when we set the temperature quite low and it's surprisingly refreshing.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:47 PM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
The screened in lanai is pretty much part of our living area when it's not too cold (hot is relative). We eat a lot of meals outdoors from the grill - but we also use the griddles and hot pot/shabu shabu there and not have to worry about smoke or scent in the house. It would not be fun eating meals with bugs or flies if you don't have screens. We've also just finished a 15x20 open patio area outside of the "cage" with a fire pit and bench for those afternoon marshmallows sessions. Get the best of both worlds.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:09 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
We had a screened patio for 15 yrs. It was nice but I found myself enjoying to be outside more on our small deck with a grill under an old oak tree that I had planted when we first moved into our house. My wife is from long Island and does not do heat as well as me. We talked about replacing the patio screened room with a larger concrete sun room with lots of of windows (13) with screens. Now my wife can have the outside fresh air when she wants it and the AC when she needs it. She also agreed to let me to build a bigger deck with an outdoor kitchen for my gas grill. Now I can be outside as long as I need and she can read all the books she wants with the environments we both like. This is why we have been married for 32 yrs.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
I was never getting the idea of the porches that have only 1/2 of screened area under roof. If you decided to go this route, make sure grading is done properly and water does not stay and drain outside otherwise you will be dealing with mold and cleaning it on regular basis is not fun

Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 AM

101 posts, read 113,880 times
Thats true.

Any recommendations for someone that can do this kind of work? I'm very DIY friendly but laying a slab/pavers is outside of my expertise.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:54 PM

23 posts, read 31,398 times
Definitely screened, we just did this and it made the outdoor area much more pleasant and usable year round. I could never understand why people had screens/pool cages, but they really do add a lot of usable space to your house when you don't have to deal with the mosquitos!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:30 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Thats true.

Any recommendations for someone that can do this kind of work? I'm very DIY friendly but laying a slab/pavers is outside of my expertise.
If you want to extend your porch, you need professionals to do it. People we used are no longer in business after economy collapsed, so I don't have anyone to recommend you. Best advise is to get around your neighborhood and see of anyone has what you want, ask who did it for them. Good way to meet neighbors too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay