U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 17,545 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a mother to two little boys (6 and 18 months), and my husband's job is going to be relocated from the Atlanta area to the Tampa area in a couple of months. We have already sold our house here, and we are renting it back from the new owners until we find our next home giving us plenty of time to look. We are really looking for a small town, family-friendly, community oriented feel. We are pretty outdoorsy, so a close proximity to beaches and parks is also important, and walk/bikeability is a plus! Schools are also high on the priority list. So far, I'm really liking Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, and Palm Harbor. What are your thoughts on these areas? Which do you think might be better for a young family? Any information is a big plus! Thank you so much in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,741 times
I am in a similar situation so if you find out any information please share! Thanks

Old 03-24-2016, 02:10 PM

I can't seem to find any current discussion of these towns. Most of the past threads about them seem to have happened around the time of the market crash, and I'm interested to see what people might have to say now.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:48 PM

302 posts, read 204,330 times
Dunedin is more of an older crowd and kind of too small, but VERY charming. Tarpon Springs is awesome. It is a Greek community. However, the best place to live in my opinion is St. Pete. You have greater access to highways, grocery, restaurants, parks, etc.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:24 PM

6,697 posts, read 7,288,330 times
All three are lovely...but if schools are your priority then Palm Harbor is the clear choice...

Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 AM

You know, I was really interested in the St. Pete area, but it doesn't seem like the schools are up to par. Do you know anything about the schools in the area?

Old 03-25-2016, 04:15 PM

6,697 posts, read 7,288,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmom1225 View Post
You know, I was really interested in the St. Pete area, but it doesn't seem like the schools are up to par. Do you know anything about the schools in the area?
My son and his wife own a home in the Historic Kenwood section of St.Pete...they are just married so kids are a few years off but they do have a plan...St.Paul's Catholic school from pre-k through 8th...then hopefully their kids are smart and are IB program material for St. Pete High School...! It isn't where I would want to raise a family...more crime and crummy schools...but I stay out of it...

Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 PM

302 posts, read 204,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmom1225 View Post
They are not good. As the other poster suggested if schools is a priority to you than Palm Harbor may be it. I will just warn you, if you need to east/west (i.e. to Tampa) it will be hell. I depends on where you work and your lifestyle.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:40 PM

147 posts, read 149,446 times
Looking for the same thing too We'll be visiting the area this coming Tuesday and plan on scoping the area out. Palm Harbor is on the top of our list and only because of the schools. We're also looking at South Tampa, Hyde Park, schools are fantastic there, more inland than we wanted, but education is first on our list (this has actually changed in our 2 years of research, beach is the back burner now. Keep me posted with your search and I'll do the same.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:28 AM

63 posts, read 115,775 times
Dunedin is a very walkable town. Remember you can't really tell down here where one town ends and another begins. It's all a HUGE town really. It's the downtown areas that make them different.

Dunedin - where I live - I absolutely love. Close to Honeymoon Island, the pinellas trail and lots of family activities during the year. Films in the park two months a year, music in the park, great Christmas festival for families. Very very family friendly and dog friendly.

I would put Palm Harbor up there too. Supposedly their schools are better than Dunedin but I know several parents who have kids at Dunedin and they are happy with it. If you are in the Palm Harbor area by the coast then you are close to the pinellas trail and honeymoon too.

I don't know much about Tarpon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or