Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,272 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We've just moved to Tampa, FL and will be leaving in the hotel for 30 days. So no lease agreement, bills or other official mail.
I'm thinking about sending a mail to myself from any Post Office and show it as a proof of address. Will it work?

I've started panicing a bit since my I'm eligible to drive with my current driving license only for 30 days . Thanks a lot for any piece of advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
Lots of people go beyond the 30 days without any issues. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You have no proof of residence, so think about it. That works both ways. There's no proof that you're actually "here" so to speak.

Since it's only 30 days you'll be in a hotel, just take care of it the week after when I'll assume you're in a permanent place. Living at a hotel = tourist, as far as I am concerned.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:13 PM

7,775 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Use your license until you have a real address, that is what I did. With all the tourists around you will not be conspicuous.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:33 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,803,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seregaz View Post
Hi,
We've just moved to Tampa, FL and will be leaving in the hotel for 30 days. So no lease agreement, bills or other official mail.
I'm thinking about sending a mail to myself from any Post Office and show it as a proof of address. Will it work?

I've started panicing a bit since my I'm eligible to drive with my current driving license only for 30 days . Thanks a lot for any piece of advise.
Not going to fly.
https://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/address.html
please take a moment and read that page

As a side note, mail to yourself or in fact non-official mail doesn't count as a proof of residency.

Why you are eligible to drive only for 30 days? How come?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,485 times
A bank statement will work if you can have your bank mail you one.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:04 PM

14 posts, read 17,571 times
My husband was down here 6 weeks by himself living in an extended stay before we moved down and into a rental. I was here just shy of 30 days when I switched over so he was around 10 weeks by the time he switched DL and plates. Friends living in St Pete that have been here 90 days and they haven't switched yet because they are not sure if they will stay (new job and not happy with it). They are still in a hotel as well.
The lady across the street moved in before Xmas and she is still driving around with out of state plates and an out of state DL. ....and she bought the house!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,409 times
I've lived in about 5 states since I got my Tucson ID back in 2006. Hey, it's Florida. They're used to out of state IDs here (and apparently they were used to them in Texas, New Mexico, and a few other places that we lived in). There's no expiration date on my ID, unlike the driver's licenses, just the date of issue. My bank has been in New Mexico for over 20 years, no matter where I lived.

I think we're supposed to come back every 6 years or so for a new Arizona photo, but my photo still looks like me, except that it looks older. I look just the same :}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay