Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:56 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

On TV I heard that the father of one of the girls is in prison for a 30 year sentence for drug trafficking which means that wasn't for a pound of marijuana... and G_D only knows how many people died due to the drugs the father was selling, etc.

Another girl was just place in foster care (last Wednesday) and it seems that wasn't helping either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
I personally feel that there are too many irresponsible parents out there who care more about other things than raising their children properly. I don't know if that's the case in this situation, but I tell you what ... I would totally be open to some kind of sterilization program for people who were unfit parents.

Parenting is a privilege and a HUGE responsibility. Not everyone deserves to have children.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If a parent of minor allows a teenager to use drugs in their house, the parent will risk to be criminally charged so why not if girls like this keep stealing cars while they either should be under parent supervision or in school. Especially when it already happened 7 times.
Because it's a fundamentally bad idea and would rightfully be struck down by the courts if anyone was ever crazy enough to try enacting it.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Did anyone hear the mother of the 15 year trying to blame the cops for her daughters death?

The sheriff answered by saying "the 15 year old was at 3 am in a stolen car... what else do I have to say!".

According to the mom the previous time her daughter was arrested was dismissed in court. How many people have their kids at night in a stolen car AFTER they already have been arrested?

My kids were home at night at that age or I would know where they were as they would stay over at a friends house now and than but we would know that they were at a good responsible parents house and not driving in a stolen car at night!

I'm glad this mom didn't get away with the race card and cop blaming card as she tried both things from what I heard on the radio. This has nothing to do with race but has to do with parenting and the lack there of.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 AM

186 posts, read 377,750 times
That's just it. The penalties have to be stricter. They get a pass on the first crime? That's like saying go ahead and steal another car and THEN we'll talk in court.

Yep, too many irresponsible people having babies anytime they want without caring about the consequences. Too many grandparents raising grandkids these days.

God was right to tell us to marry first, then have sex. He had his reasons for those rules and it wasn't to punish people. Besides how cool is God to even make coitus possible?? He's awesome LOL.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:27 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi768 View Post
That's just it. The penalties have to be stricter.
I hate to be "that guy" and drop a bunch of proof on top of beliefs that have been held onto for so long, but the whole "punish a child, they turn out properly" BS has been disproven for well over 50 years. HOWEVER, B. F. Skinner (IE: The dude you're quoting every time you bring up punishment) noticed these effects of punishment (which everyone ignores, as it doesn't fit their narrative):

-Punished behavior is not forgotten, it's suppressed - behavior returns when punishment is no longer present.

In other words, if you aren't there to punish 100% of the time, it's ineffective.

-Causes increased aggression - shows that aggression is a way to cope with problems.

This is more true of parents and spanking, so I wont go much into it. However, it teaches, "The strongest person is right."

-Creates fear that can generalize to undesirable behaviors, e.g., fear of school.

Look up "Little Albert."

-Does not necessarily guide toward desired behavior - reinforcement tells you what to do, punishment only tells you what not to do.

If you grew up with terrible role models, you will only know how to do something improperly. If you've never had anyone teach you the right way to do something, you're getting punished and have no idea why. And prisons love that! More tax money for them.

I wont even go into how punishment doesn't stop a behavior, it just teaches people how to not get caught.

I'm sure this post will get dismissed, though... It doesn't have the answers people want to hear.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:07 AM

46 posts, read 86,599 times
Well said Maniac and this is indeed a tragedy.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 AM

182 posts, read 170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I hate to be "that guy" and drop a bunch of proof on top of beliefs that have been held onto for so long, but the whole "punish a child, they turn out properly" BS has been disproven for well over 50 years. HOWEVER, B. F. Skinner (IE: The dude you're quoting every time you bring up punishment) noticed these effects of punishment (which everyone ignores, as it doesn't fit their narrative):

-Punished behavior is not forgotten, it's suppressed - behavior returns when punishment is no longer present.

In other words, if you aren't there to punish 100% of the time, it's ineffective.

-Causes increased aggression - shows that aggression is a way to cope with problems.

This is more true of parents and spanking, so I wont go much into it. However, it teaches, "The strongest person is right."

-Creates fear that can generalize to undesirable behaviors, e.g., fear of school.

Look up "Little Albert."

-Does not necessarily guide toward desired behavior - reinforcement tells you what to do, punishment only tells you what not to do.

If you grew up with terrible role models, you will only know how to do something improperly. If you've never had anyone teach you the right way to do something, you're getting punished and have no idea why. And prisons love that! More tax money for them.

I wont even go into how punishment doesn't stop a behavior, it just teaches people how to not get caught.

I'm sure this post will get dismissed, though... It doesn't have the answers people want to hear.
That's good analysis if you're focused solely on what's good for the offender. What your analysis fails to take into account, however, is that there is value in removing bad elements from society.

In other words, the victim's car probably doesn't get stolen and crashed into a pond if these repeat offenders are sitting in juvie.

I'm all for helping folks out, but priority should be given to those of us who are doing the right thing. I'm not in favor of allowing crimes to continue due to political correctness nonsense.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 AM

279 posts, read 508,449 times
Now it's being said the deputies debated to rescue the girls.

Could get ugly.

Dashcam video shows Fla. deputies debating whether to rescue girls from stolen car in pond | Fox News

Old 04-23-2016, 11:28 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
"It's my fault. I should have taught her right from wrong," said no parent ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay