Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:32 AM

216 posts, read 271,648 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

My wife and I are considering St. Pete as a potential area for us to relocate to later this year/early next year. Looking for suggestions on what areas of St. Pete to consider.

A little info about us, we are both 29. My wife has 5+ years experience as a pediatrics RN so she would try to get a job at All Children's Hospital. A 20 minute or less drive to there would be ideal. I happen to work virtually. Combined income ranges from 100-110k, I have no debt and her student loans are close to being paid off.

Ideally we would like to rent for a year or so before committing to buying a house or condo. Would like to keep rent below 1500 for a 2/2. As far as personal interest/hobbies, we love the ocean and water activities (who doesn't) so being within 15 minutes of the water would be great, I also am a musician (just for fun) so an area with lots of live music would be nice. Would love being in area that has plenty of non chain restaurants and laid back bars/pubs to choose from. An area with decent walk ability would be a plus but not required. We have no children and are not planning for any at the moment at least.

Anyways, thanks for reading and any suggestions in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 AM

554 posts, read 976,894 times
DTSP meets all of those needs.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:01 PM

29 posts, read 24,883 times
Agreed. Downtown St. Pete!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:04 PM

216 posts, read 271,648 times
Any particular areas or streets of downtown st. pete to look into and know to avoid?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:56 PM

554 posts, read 976,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad06 View Post
Any particular areas or streets of downtown st. pete to look into and know to avoid?
I wouldn't live south of USF St. Pete campus. DTSP has a lot of apartments / condos for rent. The only issue is that they usually aren't advertised on most of the typical house / apt hunting web sites. Directly north od DTSP is Old NE. It's mixed between middle class and very well off. May be hard to find rentals though for south of 1500. Central ave is a very cool block for bars/ cafes and is very walkable. To the west of DT, is the Edge district. A lot of fun stuff does on there, not sure about the housing though. I do know there is a big apt complex that has a lot of young people around the 1400 block or so.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
A little north of downtown is the Crescent lake area, some nice houses and a great park surrounding the lake about a 15 minute walk to downtown.
Might be worth a look=
https://www.google.ca/#q=crescent+la...rsburg+florida

Old 04-08-2016, 05:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Downtown STP seems like an ideal place to live. Expensive though. Lots of older condos Beach Drive, North Shore, and near USF. New construction going on as well. Not sure if they're oldtimer retirement communities. Probably not the best place for children, but for adult living, looks interesting. Expensive, I'm sure. Very convenient to the parks, small beach, marina/waterfront. Enjoyable place to hang out.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:58 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
My son (29) and his wife own a home in Historic Kenwood and love it!!! I have been down here in St.Pete dog sitting their dog while they are on their honeymoon. It is great...been out to lunch or dinner every day this week!!! The weather has been so beautiful that I have been walking to Central Ave most times...walked down Beach Drive today and boy was it crowded...I think it is a great place for a young couple!!!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:32 PM

29 posts, read 24,883 times
I live in Kenwood as well and second that!! My husband and I are in our late 20s and we love it. Close enough to downtown, but not right in the mix. There are neighborhoods just north of here (Euclid/Woodlawn) that are nice and a little more affordable.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:39 PM

45 posts, read 57,168 times
Downtown St Pete. There are a few large apartment buildings in the area (Fusion 1560, Beacon 430, Modera Prime, etc) but most are probably nearly fully booked (the area is really popular right now). AER is a huge new apartment tower that will start move-in's at the end of the month. I'd give them a look. If you want to rent a house, Old NE is really nice. Starting to get more expensive, but still a lot of older houses that you may be able to snag if you are patrolling Zillow diligently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay