Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,843,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Its not marketing, its lack of regulation there is no concise regulation defining organic or source of supply for restaurants. Small goverment types reap what they sow.
I don't know, I used to think that. But now I think companies get around things on technicalities and the governments are bought and paid for. Did you know the fed gov just signed a deal for our chicken to be sent overseas to be "processed" in CHINA and then be sent back and can be sold in our LOCAL stores as local organic chicken......all so we can sell stuff to them. WTH!

That means that a Tampa Bay chicken farmer can grow his chickens organically, send them off to China to be processed (hopefully properly and hopefully they get the same ones back that they sent over. good luck with that), then China sends them back to the Tampa Bay chicken farmer and he can sell them as fresh local organic chicken to local stores and restaurants. So how do these stores and restaurants even know what they are getting, never mind us, when the people in charge of looking out for us sell us out, so we can sell more beef to China? I think it was beef lobbyists that got the deal done with a not small government person signing off.

Just goes to show you that this is not just limited to what the Tampa Bay Times article wrote about. This is actually a wide spread national epidemic, starting at the top and gladly spread all the way along down to little ole you and me.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 04-22-2016 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 02:05 PM

101 posts, read 113,262 times
As usual, sometimes it's better to DIY.

That being said, Publix should step up and offer a locally sources section. They have the power and resources to get it right unlike some of these small markets.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 PM

17,477 posts, read 38,904,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post

That being said, Publix should step up and offer a locally sources section. They have the power and resources to get it right unlike some of these small markets.
Publix will do it if enough people want it. As it is, they do source a few things locally. Not everything is available from local sources.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:46 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,771,715 times
Publix actually indicate local products and sometimes even list there exactly produce are coming from. It's a colorful label that reads "fresh from Florida"

Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Publix will do it if enough people want it. As it is, they do source a few things locally. Not everything is available from local sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Publix actually indicate local products and sometimes even list there exactly produce are coming from. It's a colorful label that reads "fresh from Florida"

Makes no difference, now that the local chicken can legally be sent to China for processing and be sent back to be sold as local organic chicken. Who knows what it will be at that point.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:30 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,983,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Makes no difference, now that the local chicken can legally be sent to China for processing and be sent back to be sold as local organic chicken. Who knows what it will be at that point.
You'll have to back this claim up. When the most credible source I can find is Huffington Post, I start to question it's validity.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You'll have to back this claim up. When the most credible source I can find is Huffington Post, I start to question it's validity.
It should be extremely easy to find by googling Chinese chicken processing for USA beef sale. There are many updated articles about it and it is absolutely shocking and is in part, part of the issue in the Tampa Bay Times article.

Here is an older article, as it was just coming to light. Read this and then start doing research from there. You will find a lot to read. Word of warning, by the time you read it all, you will be extremely angry. I know I was.

What's the Beef with the U.S./China Chicken Deal?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:29 PM

111 posts, read 118,055 times
I remember taking out at a local, organic restaurant. They even served a vegan pizza with soy cheese. Well, they didn't serve the cheese on the pizza. That's what the menu said it included too. No, it wasn't "optional." I did kind of sort of, enjoy the pizza, even though it didn't have the cheese in it. Although, it's like I could've also made it myself. But yeah, that was expensive, because you order the convenience of having food prepared to take home, or even just enjoying not making it yourself. Maybe even go to a movie afterward, or relax at home.

I guess, if you want it right, you do it yourself...right...?

Old 04-24-2016, 02:15 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,831,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
It should be extremely easy to find by googling Chinese chicken processing for USA beef sale. There are many updated articles about it and it is absolutely shocking and is in part, part of the issue in the Tampa Bay Times article.

Here is an older article, as it was just coming to light. Read this and then start doing research from there. You will find a lot to read. Word of warning, by the time you read it all, you will be extremely angry. I know I was.

What's the Beef with the U.S./China Chicken Deal?
If you eat canned fish (or even some frozen?), read the label. Look to see if there is anything stamped on the bottom/top of can. Though you'd think it's required, sometimes I can't find anything.

When you find something, China is often the country of origin. If not, a wide variety of others...sorta like the United Nations. You'll probably always find a lot of "distributed by USA company xxxx or yyy, located in good ol' USA" prominently printed somewhere.

Uh, how about frozen vegetables? Candy, cookies and other baked goods? My guess is a lot more food too, if not now, pretty soon...and the jobs that were here? Well, I doubt that overseas ops are paying $15/hr.

Listen for that giant sucking sound that Ross Perot talked about and enjoy your meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay