Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:03 PM

182 posts, read 170,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Would be interesting to see the statistics based for each age group. I would bet that elderly drivers cause way less accidents than teenagers, the late night drinkers and the soccer moms stuck on their cell phone.
It wouldn't hurt to administer a more challenging road test, and require that everyone pass it every five years or so, in order to get/renew your license.

The way most people drive, it makes me wonder how they ever passed a road test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:18 PM

101 posts, read 113,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
It wouldn't hurt to administer a more challenging road test, and require that everyone pass it every five years or so, in order to get/renew your license.

The way most people drive, it makes me wonder how they ever passed a road test.
Can't argue with that, though 5 years may be a little extreme/money grab by the state. The good news is in our lifetimes autonomous cars will be all the rage and we will look back on driving cars similarly to how those used to operate horse and buggy.

What will we argue about THEN?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I did not take my driver's test until I was 35. Even then, it took me 3 road tests to be able to pass parallel parking. Since I have not done this in about 30 years, I would surely fail at 67.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:20 PM

676 posts, read 1,271,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhood66 View Post
Beautiful day! I wanted to know when they will decide to pass a law to make everyone retake the drivers test at age 65? I strongly feel this would eliminate alot of accidents and get those who should not be driving off of the road. Plus it will bring in revenue for the city and state. Thanks!
I strongly feel that the police should stop and fine anyone who does not use turn signals. Use of turn signals will avoid accidents caused by inconsiderate people who feel they are either too improvident to bother or that they own the road.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhood66 View Post
Beautiful day! I wanted to know when they will decide to pass a law to make everyone retake the drivers test at age 65? I strongly feel this would eliminate alot of accidents and get those who should not be driving off of the road. Plus it will bring in revenue for the city and state. Thanks!
Why are you discriminating against people of age?

Let those without sin cast the first stone.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 PM

473 posts, read 543,783 times
I'll take a 90 year old driver over all the idiot distracted drivers on their cell phones.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:06 PM

4,848 posts, read 2,665,246 times
being half blind with really poor reflexes is a requirement to drive in Florida..use of turn signals is optional as always down here..

I say lets go after all those younger speed racer jerks in their fart can cars with super dark tinted windows weaving in and out of traffic, trying to pass everything on the road, and riding your ass..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Not all 65 year olds are interchangeable. Some are already in their graves others will do fine driving when they are 90. They don't come with labels.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:51 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Age discrimination. Won't happen.
As much as it would be a royal pain in my ass, I would not be opposed to across the board mandatory road test retakes every few years. Could coincide with license renewals. Make it a package deal every 5-8 years. It would keep a lot more than grandma off the roads.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:01 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
I strongly feel that the police should stop and fine anyone who does not use turn signals. Use of turn signals will avoid accidents caused by inconsiderate people who feel they are either too improvident to bother or that they own the road.
That will be a huge burden on the cops or a maybe lots of new jobs created just for that as it seems 80% is not using it.

In Europe we always joked that the car wasn't paid off as the blinker was not yet paid for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay