Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 AM

10 posts, read 23,325 times

Advertisements

Hello Floridians!

I have been extended a job at Tampa General and will be making the move from waaay up here in the upper peninsula of Michigan. We are VERY excited to go from only 3 months of summer to the sunshine state

Dilemma...
We've only ever visited Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I have a friend in Sarasota, but she's no help with Tampa. I have a few basic questions and I've tried to find my answers by searching but no real luck.

We are in our early 30s and have two children- age 8 and 10. Being in a brand new place- its very important to pick a community with lots of kids so they can make friends. Good schools of course are a must but we'd explore charter schools vs public if necessary but our budget won't allow for private at this point.

What neighborhoods can you suggest in which I can drive to Tampa Gen in less than 45 minutes? (I'm willing to commute up to 45min if it means my kids have the best neighborhood). I do NOT want to end up in a rough neighborhood :/ We will rent at first to get a feel for the area and therefore, budget isn't a huge deal- because every area has a range and we can find something if I know where to look.

From my searches I've gathered the following list, please correct me by telling me to remove something if I'm wrong or add to the list!!! Thanks a million!!

Safety Harbor
Dunedin
Palm Harbor
Westchase
Seminole
Hyde Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:12 AM

369 posts, read 844,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayrah View Post
Hello Floridians!

I have been extended a job at Tampa General and will be making the move from waaay up here in the upper peninsula of Michigan. We are VERY excited to go from only 3 months of summer to the sunshine state

Dilemma...
We've only ever visited Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I have a friend in Sarasota, but she's no help with Tampa. I have a few basic questions and I've tried to find my answers by searching but no real luck.

We are in our early 30s and have two children- age 8 and 10. Being in a brand new place- its very important to pick a community with lots of kids so they can make friends. Good schools of course are a must but we'd explore charter schools vs public if necessary but our budget won't allow for private at this point.

What neighborhoods can you suggest in which I can drive to Tampa Gen in less than 45 minutes? (I'm willing to commute up to 45min if it means my kids have the best neighborhood). I do NOT want to end up in a rough neighborhood :/ We will rent at first to get a feel for the area and therefore, budget isn't a huge deal- because every area has a range and we can find something if I know where to look.

From my searches I've gathered the following list, please correct me by telling me to remove something if I'm wrong or add to the list!!! Thanks a million!!

Safety Harbor
Dunedin
Palm Harbor
Westchase
Seminole
Hyde Park
I would suggest Hyde Park. All your other choices would have nightmare commutes if you're commuting during rush hour.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
If you're going to be at TGH living in Pinellas County might be a bit of a pain due to the commute.

If you're looking for family friendly communities with lots of amenities and within 30-45 minutes of TGH at peak commute times, I would suggest Bloomingdale East or Fishhawk Ranch.

Do you have an idea of what your budget for a house would be? That will have some bearing on the area as well.

You'll really enjoy Tampa compared to the UP. Obviously the climate is quite different, but the quality of life is very good. I'm sure that the area in general is far more developed than where you live in the UP, since there's not a lot up there to begin with...

Welcome!

RM

Old 04-20-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you're going to be at TGH living in Pinellas County might be a bit of a pain due to the commute.

You'll really enjoy Tampa compared to the UP. Obviously the climate is quite different, but the quality of life is very good. I'm sure that the area in general is far more developed than where you live in the UP, since there's not a lot up there to begin with...

Welcome!

RM

We're okay with the size of the city- like I said, we've visited Miama as well as have spent time in LA so we're prepared for city life. But yes- our current city of Gladstone, MI has a population of 4,926 as of last year LOL. Between that and all the cold and snow, get me outta here! I'm going to have a winter jacket burning party haha!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:14 PM

Also- our housing budget is $2k or less per month for a house rental, not an apartment.
The commute time is something that you can't find in a standard "search" so thank you for that info! I wasn't aware that those areas would be so far away :/ On a positive note... I only have to work 3d a week!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM

149 posts, read 145,267 times
Although everyone is suggesting Hyde Park to live I wouldn't suggest most of the schools in that area for your kids. Most schools within the Tampa city limits are trash.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:42 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayrah View Post
Also- our housing budget is $2k or less per month for a house rental, not an apartment.
The commute time is something that you can't find in a standard "search" so thank you for that info! I wasn't aware that those areas would be so far away :/ On a positive note... I only have to work 3d a week!
There are plenty of nice rentals in the Bloomingdale East area for $2k or less, not much less, however. $2k would be a stretch in Fishhawk. These would be typical suburban homes of less than 20 years old with nice yards and pools in many cases. In some of the areas of Bloomingdale East you're walking distance to the elementary schools, both "A" rated Cimino and Alafia Elementaries.

Again, the commute to TGH from the Bloomingdale area using the Crosstown Expressway is between 30-40 minutes depending on the time of day.

For what it's worth, TGH is currently building a new facility in the Brandon area. It would be about a 15-20 minute commute from the same areas. It's going to be outpatient and clinics, so depending on your area of practice it might not be an option - just mentioning it so you're aware.

RM

Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
There are plenty of nice rentals in the Bloomingdale East area for $2k or less, not much less, however. $2k would be a stretch in Fishhawk. These would be typical suburban homes of less than 20 years old with nice yards and pools in many cases. In some of the areas of Bloomingdale East you're walking distance to the elementary schools, both "A" rated Cimino and Alafia Elementaries.

Again, the commute to TGH from the Bloomingdale area using the Crosstown Expressway is between 30-40 minutes depending on the time of day.

For what it's worth, TGH is currently building a new facility in the Brandon area. It would be about a 15-20 minute commute from the same areas. It's going to be outpatient and clinics, so depending on your area of practice it might not be an option - just mentioning it so you're aware.

RM
Thank you! I will research Bloomingdale, but I think Fishhawk is looking far away AND pricey.

What are your thoughts on Wesley Chapel, Temple Terrace, Westchase, Brandon, Lutz, & Apollo Beach? (Just going on places I see on the map within 40min drive lol) Any throw outs? Trying to narrow this list!

And my area is Emergency Medicine, so unfortunately I wouldn't work there, but I'd still consider living in Brandon if the area was nice. I'm okay with a commute to be in a great community for my family (my husband works from home so someone is always there with the kids).

Also, would you completely eliminate Pinellas county as another poster said? I've heard decent things about Dunedin, Clearwater, and Safety Harbor...?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:43 PM

369 posts, read 844,120 times
Check out Carrollwood

Old 04-21-2016, 08:41 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
Although everyone is suggesting Hyde Park to live I wouldn't suggest most of the schools in that area for your kids. Most schools within the Tampa city limits are trash.
The schools in Hyde Park are not trash, quite the opposite not sure where you get your information from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay